• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Metabolism after anorexia

K

kira697

I used to have a fast metabolism and eat lots of food.I had anorexia for a year and had a bmi of 14 when I sought help.Now,a year later,I have a bmi of 18.
A year ago,a nutrionist told me that when I would have a bmi of 18 I would need at least 2000 calories a day.But I eat 1800 calories a day now and I'm still gaining weight.I don't understand what's wrong.Did anorexia mess up my metabolism or could it be something else?

P.S.I'm 5'3 and walk 90 minutes a day.

Thank you for your help.

emski

emski

Hi Kira

I don't have personal experience of eating disorders. A friend of mine does and she now says that after years of eating disorders her metabolism is now 'all over the place'. But you have to remember that metabolism is never a stable thing - it is normal for your metabolic rate to change throughout the course of a day.

Having had anorexia, your body was quite literally in starvation mode. Maybe your body is still counteracting this, as when the body is starved, the minute it gets food it stores it as fat because it doesn't know when it's going to get food again. Also, you are doing quite a bit of exercise - that builds muscle that might have been burnt when you were suffering from anorexia - muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not saying don't exercise, I'm saying it might account for the weight gain.

It may just be a case that you are still recovering - remember with a bmi of 18 you are still technically only just a healthy weight, so don't worry that you are gaining weight, it might all level out soon.

If you are gaining large amounts of weight quickly, it would be worth discussing this with your GP, and a blood test might be advised

K

kira697

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.It's very kind of you.:)

S

Sarey

Actually, a bmi of 18 is underweight.

18.5 is where you are JUST "healthy" weight.

S

*Sapphire*

Metabolism is not the only reason you might be gaining weight. It could be a whole host of things.

As Sarey said, BMI 18 is not considered a 'healthy weight'. In all the hospitals I have been in BMI 20 was considered the lowest healthiest weight. Anything below that and you may struggle to stay at the weight you are, and may find yourself continuing to struggle with ED behaviours to do so.

Also when I went through recovery of anorexia for a while I went over my target as a lot of people with EDs do. However after a year it settled back down again.

Most people are supposed to have a natural 'set weight'. This could range between BMI 20-25, it could be that your body is trying to get to that.