• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Messed up

A

Ali50n

Hi I'm very new to this and really would appreciate any help!

I am really messed up with all the psychiatrists,cpn's,doc's, addiction worker etc all telling me I have different things wrong with me and it's cracking me up!

I apparently have a personality disorder, bipolar affective disorder, nbi disorder etc. and I have no idea how to help myself!

My latest psychiatrist said that it is important that I am not given a diagnosis as when I was told I was bipolar I tried to commit suicide, I cracked up! I wanted to be told that when I stopped drinking I would be 'cured' I would be 'normal' whatever that is.

I have self medicated with alcohol since I was 12 and assumed all my problems were caused by this. I got help for this a year ago and all my problems were even worse. Alcohol has damaged all my organs etc and nervous system. I have all the usual illnesses an alcoholic has which I can deal with no problem. But dealing with my head is impossible for me.

I started self harming, attempting suicide etc.
I can't handle reality and I can't drink. I am on fluoxetine and seroquel (quitiapiene) which is ok sometimes but when my head is talking to me and it won't shut up the medication is useless. I hate valium etc so I won't take them.
I don't know what to do. Please help!!!!!

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

It's in the early hours in the UK where the majority of the members come from so if you don't get that many replies at first please don't be dishearted.

Marliee x

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Alison and welcome to the forum.

It sounds as though you're having a really rough time with things at the moment.

Your latest psychiatrist sounds wise. I found a diagnosis very helpful but I know that many don't and for some it can be terrifying. I think the best way to go is to concentrate on the symptoms you're suffering with as opposed to the illness behind them.

If you're on medication and you're still struggling badly, I would suggest going back to your psychiatrist for a med review and to discuss this. I still struggle but found my last increase in medication has made quite a difference.

Sorry to hear of the problems the alcoholism has caused but it's great that you're no longer drinking. That's quite an achievement!

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

I would ask for a higher dose of quetiapine as that dulls your thoughts doesn't it? It doesn't have to be forever but it might help you at the moment. I'm assuming valerian won't be very effective?

A

Ali50n

Hi
Thank you for replying. I'm already on the highest dose of quitiepine they tried to add depakote but my tongue swelled up.
I just need something that will shut my head up. That's the problem.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

You might need to go down the natural route then. This would be hot milk before bedtime or really anytime. Foods that reduce stress or make you sleepy like porridge, bananas, kiwis...check on google for more. I often use nytol herbal in the day or normal nytol in the day if bad enough. Getting out for a brisk walk helps. A soak in the tub. Music. Cleaning. Anything arty that will absorb you

A

Ali50n

Thanks again I will try the natural way as you suggest. I will try anything that could help. I have wrecked my stomach and other organs through alcohol so I can't eat porridge etc but I will google what alternatives I can have. Exhausted today as I haven't slept for a few days so I will probably conk out at some point. My head will lose the battle today hopefully ����

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

Lavender oil is good too.