• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mephedrone should be handed out in nightclubs

A

Apotheosis

Mephedrone should be handed out in nightclubs, the Government's former drugs tsar said.

Professor David Nutt said doling out small amounts of the drug with guidance on its use would be "safer" than banning it.

In an interview with the London Evening Standard, Professor Nutt said criminal gangs would be "rubbing their hands" at the prospect of the drug being outlawed by the Government.

Ministers are expected to receive a report from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) on Monday.

Les Iversen, Prof Nutt's successor, has hinted they will recommend the drug will be made Class B, along with amphetamines and cannabis.

Prof Nutt, who was sacked as ACMD chairman after saying ecstasy was less harmful than alcohol, proposed regulating mephedrone - known as M-Cat or Miaow Miaow - rather than forcing dealers on to the black market.

He told the newspaper: "I wouldn't be against exploring the possibility of some sort of regulated use for MDMA or mephedrone where people, maybe in clubs, could have access to small amounts, safe amounts under guidance."

He added: "It would probably be safer than what we're doing at present."

Teachers' groups called for a ban last week after the deaths of Louis Wainwright, 18, and Nicholas Smith, 19, in Scunthorpe.

And the family of a 24-year-old woman who died after taking mephedrone paid tribute to their "perfect daughter". Lois Waters was found dead at a friend's house in the village of Norton, near Malton, North Yorkshire, on Monday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100325/tuk-nutt-hand-out-mephedrone-in-clubs-6323e80.html

A

Apotheosis

10 Reasons to legalise all drugs

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugten.html

1 Address the real issues
2 Eliminate the criminal market place
3 Massively reduce crime
4 Drug users are a majority
5 Provide access to truthful information and education
6 Make all drug use safer
7 Restore our rights and responsibilities
8 Race and Drugs
9 Global Implications
10 Prohibition doesn't work

Transform's vision is a world in which the War on Drugs is over and effective and humane systems of drug regulation have been established.
http://www.tdpf.org.uk/

S

*Sapphire*

Why not put a high tax on it that will pay for any adverse effects of it.

Not sure it should be legalised with opiates or addictive drugs though, look what happened to China.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

i Never got to try mephedrone been clean for about a year and a half i wouldnt imagine its that dangerous compared to other drugs and its not from what ive read most of these kids arnt experienced drug takers and prolly over do it and mix it with other things i think the first 2 deaths it was ket and alcohol donno about the recent deaths..i think its because you only get a real buzz from the first line so they take it in short succession to try and stay high plus it being legal they probably think its safe they should really research these things on the net before they take them i always did...as for its legal status im with apo on this i think they should legalise most drugs and control them espeically cannabis so they can control the cbd to thc ratio and help prevent cannabis psychosis...plus it eliminates crime etc all the usual malarky have any of you tryed this mephedrone?

Ponyo

Ponyo

1 Address the real issues- Addiction is the root of "problematic drug use", not poverty and despair. There are heavy drug users in every economic class.

2 Eliminate the criminal market place-
Legalisation forces organised crime from the drugs trade, starves them of income and enables us to regulate and control the market (i.e. prescription, licensing, laws on sales to minors, advertising regulations etc.)
I HIGHLY doubt it.

3 Massively reduce crime-
Most of the violence associated with illegal drug dealing is caused by its illegality
I disagree. I think it is caused by desperation and addiction. People will do anything to get their fix.

4 Drug users are a majority- I call BS. The stated research doesn't support this.

5 Provide access to truthful information and education- This is a null argument. Information is readily available to those who seek it.

6 Make all drug use safer- This is a misleading statement. ALL drug use will never be safe, there will always be risks when putting a drug into your body. I do agree and support clean needles, free condoms, ect.

7 Restore our rights and responsibilities- Agreed.

8 Race and Drugs- Totally disagree with this.

9 Global Implications- Agreed.

10 Prohibition doesn't work-
"What are the benefits of criminalising any drug?"
Consequences.

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ktwoJ3SCY8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ktwoJ3SCY8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlR0JrNOKIg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlR0JrNOKIg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

T

The Ghost Of Troubled Joe

6 Make all drug use safer- This is a misleading statement. ALL drug use will never be safe, there will always be risks when putting a drug into your body. I do agree and support clean needles, free condoms, ect.
Did you actually read what was said? Make all drug use SAFER, not safe. Of course it won't be completely safe. Driving a car isn't completely safe, bungee jumping isn't completely safe, etc.

This is one of the most valid reasons for the legalisation of drugs. Drug dealers put so much crap into drugs to make the supply go further. At least if they were legal, you'd know it was pure and as safe as possible.

Not so long ago, there were loads of heroin-related deaths in my local area, this was because of a nasty batch of contaminated smack.

Also, the government could put a HUGE tax on them, which would help to plug the gaps in our national drug services.

Last edited:
H

harmsway

people have been messing with altered states of conciousness for thousands of years. The human race has always used drugs and I think they always will. If drugs were legalised it would be safer and the money spent on chasing drug lords could be better used elsewhere. I'm not saying you should be able to buy smack in Boots, some level of control would be needed. But it seems insane that the most destructive drug out there is legal anyway.

A

Apotheosis

people have been messing with altered states of conciousness for thousands of years. The human race has always used drugs and I think they always will. If drugs were legalised it would be safer and the money spent on chasing drug lords could be better used elsewhere. I'm not saying you should be able to buy smack in Boots, some level of control would be needed. But it seems insane that the most destructive drug out there is legal anyway.
& how then would the Billions earned in Illegal Drugs sales every year be accumulated by the Banks? The Banks & Elite need an obscene income you know?. We can't have these matters being dealt with in healthy & rational ways - keep it all illegal - keep alcohol & cigarettes legal. :)

C

coraline1664

On a similar(ish) note to the thread (welcome back apotheosis by the way :))

I've heard that cannabis was made illegal because hemp was far too useful (although hemp is legal in the UK.) Not sure if there are restrictions on how much can be grown. Many businesses benefit from cannabis's prohibition... chemical companies because hemp is very durable and wouldn't need nearly as much treating as cotton. Tobacco and alcohol companies because more people would turn to the safer (cannabis can't kill you unlike tobacco and alcohol) non-addictive drug.
I wouldn't do it myself because I think it could exacerbate my symptoms and I'm not really fussed about it, but there's so much demonisation of these things it gets ridiculous. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
C

coraline1664

messed that post up a bit and can't edit it now, damnit.

shaun3210

shaun3210

I'm not saying you should be able to buy smack in Boots
Funnily enough Harrods used to sell smack in packs designed to be sent to soldiers at the front in WW1, it was perfectly legal to do so at the time but the number who came back addicted caused it to be outlaw. ...Bit of a Qi moment there! :p

I think drug laws should be relaxed and taken out the hands of criminals, they are never going to do away with drug use as it’s in our nature as a species to experiment and it would make a great new tax with the decline in income they getting from smokers!

A

Apotheosis

"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherf*ckers on that side." - Bill Hicks.

bluenomore

bluenomore

"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherf*ckers on that side." - Bill Hicks.
.......... :LOL:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TulipIceCream Substance Abuse Forum 10