• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

mentally exhausted

M

milette

Hello. I'm actually on here for my daughter's benefit as I am so worried about her. She has been working since last July as cabin crew but on short haul destinations. Unfortunately she has to commute to work and on paper it should only be an hour's drive, but sometimes her shift can start as early as 6am which means she battles with rush hour, therefore getting up at 3am to enable sufficient travelling time in order for her to arrive in time for pre flight briefing. This probably sounds normal for many people which I totally understand as it comes with the job, but recently she has been rostered ridiculous sectors, sometimes doing 4/5 in a day, (half an hour each way), travelling home for 2/3 hours, getting in late then having no dinner or shower, straight to bed only to be up again at silly o'clock. It's now taking its toll on her and she is so depressed with the job, she's applied for others but feels trapped as she needs the money and knows that I am financially limited as I am a single mum so feels she has to stick it out so I don't have to support her.
I've never seen her so sad or depressed and its really worrying me as I'm concerned about her driving that distance in her state of mind. I have told her to just leave but she won't, I have also told her to not go tomorrow so she can see a doctor but she has just sat sobbing( which is so unlike her) saying that there is no one for her to contact out of hours now to call regarding being off and she said that they will give her a hard time if she doesn't turn up for the early start as there will be no available staff to cover her flight.
I really am worried about her health as she has just been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries too which is affecting her weight and skin and she constantly worries about her appearance.
She walked in to an office only last week to hear a union rep commenting to another member of staff about her makeup. She wears it a little heavier to cover up her complexion as she is so self conscious of it. I thought that was rude and insensitive of him to be commenting about something he knew nothing about.
She is very unhappy and I would honestly say depressed, I am a very worried mum, has anyone got any words of wisdom please help?

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and :welcome: to the forum

I'm sorry, your thread got a little buried hopefully this might bump it up a little but I'm also sure someone will come along soon to try and help :)

Marliee x

L

ladyaegle

I think the only thing you can do in that situation is to give her as much support as possible, and hopefully she will come around and quit the job. Though If you have the ability, perhaps telling her that if she needs to she could live with you until she can finds a new job, or other financial support of that nature could help her be able to let go of the job.