Mentally exhausted and in need of help

U

Unhinged_018

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with me. I think it may be OCD. I keep going over certain events in my head. It's mostly conversations that I have with people. I keep replaying the words I said to make sure that I made sense and didn't say anything dumb. Secondly, I have this obsession with not making mistakes at work so I'll read e-mails over and over again looking for mistakes before I send it. If I'm counting items or money, i'll count them over and over again until I convince myself the number is right. This behavior drains me mentally. Not to mention it affects my work performance. I take extremely long to do simple tasks at work because I'm always reading the same sentences over and over again and double checking EVERYTHING. Does anyone else go through this? Can you give me advice and how to manage it or better yet, cure it.

atlia

atlia

hi Unhinged_018

sorry to hear you might be having symptoms of ocd. i don't have it myself (at least not in a severe form) but i do like to recheck certain things just like you do. i would certainly reread this post a couple of times before i make sure it's ok. i also tend to check whether i took my keys with me (although it's fairly clear i have them) and if i'm unsure i've completed all the tasks at work in a 'perfect' way i feel quite uncomfortable

what i noticed helps me is saying to myself a few reassuring words like 'it's okay dear, you don't need to worry or fixate yourself on this. i love you regardless'. might seem silly, but i immediately feel slightly better and can then move on to something else. not without some initial discomfort though - i just have to push myself through it. and after i directed my attention to something different i usually forget about the thing that worried me initially

perhaps this would not solve all your problems, but accepting, caring attitude coupled with the readiness to shift your focus (despite the discomfort) might help alleviate them in some instances

U

Unhinged_018

I'm always checking my handbag to make sure it's zipped up because I'm afraid of things falling out. When I go out, for example to the movies, I have to check the seat and floor thoroughly before leaving to make sure I picked up all my stuff. Also, I think I have attention deficit because at work, I will zone out a lot and start thinking about something else right in the middle of a task. Thanks for the advice. I will try to focus my attention on something else rather than repeat the same scenario in my head.

Jbb79

Jbb79

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with me. I think it may be OCD. I keep going over certain events in my head. It's mostly conversations that I have with people. I keep replaying the words I said to make sure that I made sense and didn't say anything dumb. Secondly, I have this obsession with not making mistakes at work so I'll read e-mails over and over again looking for mistakes before I send it. If I'm counting items or money, i'll count them over and over again until I convince myself the number is right. This behavior drains me mentally. Not to mention it affects my work performance. I take extremely long to do simple tasks at work because I'm always reading the same sentences over and over again and double checking EVERYTHING. Does anyone else go through this? Can you give me advice and how to manage it or better yet, cure it.
Yes ! !

Jbb79

Jbb79

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I Thought I Needed to, be Perfect ! !

Then I asked God, He said -- Average grades, Are o-k, Nice grades are better And, Good grades Are all YOU Need <3 <3<3

R

Reed2006

Hello,

This sounds like you are perseverating which is very different from having an actual full-blown disorder like OCD.

OCD has many symptoms all at the same time. You are only describing a few symptoms.

I have had OCD all my life and can tell you that it is much more disabling than the few symptoms you describe. It also tends to start in childhood like mine did-so it is highly unlikely that you would develop it for the first time as an adult.

Hope this helps,

Reed

C

ConfusedNSad

Hello,

This sounds like you are perseverating which is very different from having an actual full-blown disorder like OCD.

OCD has many symptoms all at the same time. You are only describing a few symptoms.

I have had OCD all my life and can tell you that it is much more disabling than the few symptoms you describe. It also tends to start in childhood like mine did-so it is highly unlikely that you would develop it for the first time as an adult.

Hope this helps,

Reed
i'm sorry, but I don't agree with this. I have known people with OCD diagnosis that don't have a TON of behaviors. This is the criteria:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a common, chronic and long-lasting disorder in which a person has uncontrollable, reoccurring thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions) that he or she feels the urge to repeat over and over.

Signs and Symptoms
People with OCD may have symptoms of obsessions, compulsions, or both. These symptoms can interfere with all aspects of life, such as work, school, and personal relationships.

Obsessions are repeated thoughts, urges, or mental images that cause anxiety.

Common symptoms include:

Fear of germs or contamination
Unwanted forbidden or taboo thoughts involving sex, religion, and harm
Aggressive thoughts towards others or self
Having things symmetrical or in a perfect order
Compulsions are repetitive behaviors that a person with OCD feels the urge to do in response to an obsessive thought.

Common compulsions include:

Excessive cleaning and/or handwashing
Ordering and arranging things in a particular, precise way
Repeatedly checking on things, such as repeatedly checking to see if the door is locked or that the oven is off
Compulsive counting
Not all rituals or habits are compulsions. Everyone double checks things sometimes. But a person with OCD generally:

Can't control his or her thoughts or behaviors, even when those thoughts or behaviors are recognized as excessive
Spends at least 1 hour a day on these thoughts or behaviors
Doesn’t get pleasure when performing the behaviors or rituals, but may feel brief relief from the anxiety the thoughts cause
Experiences significant problems in their daily life due to these thoughts or behaviors
Some individuals with OCD also have a tic disorder. Motor tics are sudden, brief, repetitive movements, such as eye blinking and other eye movements, facial grimacing, shoulder shrugging, and head or shoulder jerking. Common vocal tics include repetitive throat-clearing, sniffing, or grunting sounds.

Symptoms may come and go, ease over time, or worsen. People with OCD may try to help themselves by avoiding situations that trigger their obsessions, or they may use alcohol or drugs to calm themselves. Although most adults with OCD recognize that what they are doing doesn’t make sense, some adults and most children may not realize that their behavior is out of the ordinary. Parents or teachers typically recognize OCD symptoms in children.

If you think you have OCD, talk to your doctor about your symptoms. If left untreated, OCD can interfere in all aspects of life.

It is OBVIOUSLY affecting this person's life in a negative way. It can be severe or mild. It comes and it goes.

I actually don't have OCD itself but I have a disorder that is thought to be closely related. I have an Impulse Control Disorder, but it manifests exactly like OCD. I have an obsession (fire), and I have very strong compulsions (I light fires constantly throughout the day to relieve stress and a build-up of mental/emotional tension) that I can't control. Not all the time, anyhow. I still got a diagnosis of Pyromania, even though I can control it most of the time. That is just because I am older than the "typical" pyromaniac (I am 47) and I have self-control that younger kids don't have or haven't developed yet. I know the consequenses to my actions and I avoid doing things I KNOW will hurt others, myself, or property. It is tough a lot of the time and I struggle. I set small fires, controlled and safe, and that gets me through it.

The question I would ask the OP is can you control these compulsions you have?

Last edited:
A

AntipsychoticREFUGEE

I similar thing going on but perhaps, by diverging reasons. I read clauses several time because of loss of focus. Do you have too much time, and justsheer boredom rewinding stuff. Is it by the way OCD if because of ability to mingle we do 3-5 exercise session lenghtof 15-20min a day? Again, computer doesn't work properly. Better practise a bit than just lay on bed. Rather i'd be mingling especially with girls. And while loading stuff on the shelves for the sheer pleasure of it and respect for the job and in order to recoqnise the precenceof colleagues put thelabel front wise on every one of the packages?

U

Unhinged_018

I think it's always been there but has become overwhelming and overbearing now.

U

Unhinged_018

I definitely have some of the symptoms listed above. I literally cannot count money one time. It has to be repeated several times until I convince myself. I'm convinced I have a disorder because other people around me can complete their tasks quickly while I get stuck on one task checking everything over and over. It's affecting me badly at work.