• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental States linked to Chronic Skin Problems

U

urbangibbon

Does anybody have depression/anxiety/personality problems linked to many years of skin disorders. I have a chronic skin disorder called Acne Rosacea. When I was younger I had a very bad teenage acne which left my complexion scarred. It has been a lifelong battle with depression and anger, bitterness and anxiety and having to put up with abuse on the street and even from family members which I have not forgiven and do not now see. Today I was out on the street and a stranger gave me a stare which made me feel inadequate and shit. People are cruel. Sometimes I feel that I cannot cope. I just want to sleep and never wake up.

W

wannabegooroo

In my opinion, its to do with body image issues, very common amongst younger women and men, it's anxiety appearing on your face and also involves hormonal changes in the body. You are worried about your acne, so you have shame and try to hide and control it, which makes it worsen. You have been picked on because of your skin condition, but it's about them not your skin. The acne is normal and will go away, it will be excarbated by stress/anxiety

Last edited by a moderator:
U

urbangibbon

In my opinion, its to do with body image issues, very common amongst younger women and men, it's anxiety appearing on your face and also involves hormonal changes in the body. You are worried about your acne, so you have shame and try to hide and control it, which makes it worsen. You have been picked on because of your skin condition, but it's about them not your skin. The acne is normal and will go away, it will be excarbated by stress/anxiety
I don't think you understand. I am not a young man. I am middle aged. The Acne has gone many years ago but left my face badly scarred. But what I have now is a different type of acne called Rosacea which adults suffer from. Rosacea is a disorder of the skin's immune system. It is multifactorial. Anxiety doesn't help of course. I am asking if other people are in similar situations and might wish to share their experiences and how they deal with it.

All these years (40 years) of skin problems has left my psychological landscape looking like the after effects of a war zone : Depression, Social Anxiety, Phobias, Agoraphobia, Anger issues, difficulty in forming and keeping relationships with women, etc, etc.

The only thing that keeps me going is responsibility for my pets. Otherwise I think I would just find a painless way to end it all. Life is so painful and miserable.

Last edited:
Diesel1988

Diesel1988

i;m a younger woman and suffer from acne on my body and face in the summer time, caused by stress, people look at me, and I feel that I'm some what inadequate. i kind of understand what u are going through. I try to push through by thinking that these people don't know the real me, they couldn't live a day in my shoes, and i feel like I'm more than adequate. For me, it doesn't matter what people think, or say. it only matters what i tell myself, how I feel about myself and what i think of myself. i have also dealt with many mental health issues caused by isolation. .I hope this helped you in some way.

U

urbangibbon

i;m a younger woman and suffer from acne on my body and face in the summer time, caused by stress, people look at me, and I feel that I'm some what inadequate. i kind of understand what u are going through. I try to push through by thinking that these people don't know the real me, they couldn't live a day in my shoes, and i feel like I'm more than adequate. For me, it doesn't matter what people think, or say. it only matters what i tell myself, how I feel about myself and what i think of myself. i have also dealt with many mental health issues caused by isolation. .I hope this helped you in some way.
Thanks for this Diesel. I wish I could cultivate the same approach. Can I honestly say to myself - without lying to myself - that I don't care what others think or say to me or how they behave in relation to me? I have to be honest and say to you that when people are cruel in their comments, it still hurts.

W

wannabegooroo

for younger women, body image is a big issue, with the media manipulating the trends and norms, even for younger men it is also a stress. As you get older, you will be more accepting of your looks/body, because the stress of trying to survive takes it toll.

U

urbangibbon

for younger women, body image is a big issue, with the media manipulating the trends and norms, even for younger men it is also a stress. As you get older, you will be more accepting of your looks/body, because the stress of trying to survive takes it toll.
Although I agree with your comments about the media, as a middle aged man I don't agree that you necessarily become more accepting of your looks/body as you get older. Sometimes you become less accepting as you age and this becomes a part of the stress of trying to survive. I have never come to terms with my acne scars despite years of medication, treatment and various psychotherapies. Any permanent, irreversible change in something which is valued must also leave behind it a sense of loss and often depression as a result.

If you have suffered irreversible damage to the face which has changed your appearance, that always has psychological effects on the recipient in a society which places so much emphasis on people's superficial appearance.

W

wannabegooroo

accept you have mixed opinions on your looks, which is understandable from how people have treated you, in referencece to your earlier post. are you wanting to be accepted by others? or is this mostly just about you personally

U

urbangibbon

accept you have mixed opinions on your looks, which is understandable from how people have treated you, in referencece to your earlier post. are you wanting to be accepted by others? or is this mostly just about you personally
Well, "mixed opinions"? I don't know what you mean by that term. People generally do not want to rejected or humiliated. They feel better if they are accepted. And the more accepted they are, the better they probably feel. It enables people to participate more fully in the richness of human life. Wanting to be accepted is not necessarily the same as not wanting to be humiliated regularly in public and, of course, this is about me personally. I am speaking from personal experience of the problems which I have had in my life.

W

wannabegooroo

you aren't excluded because you're ugly, it's the normal looking ones with ugly hearts that belittle and exclude others who are different. Can you accept yourself if seemingly no one else does?? this is the big question....you can change your opinion of self, but with others it's a whole different story

and what's your image of a fulfilling life??

Diesel1988

Diesel1988

that is true, it does hurt when people are ignorant. I do my best to learn from there and my own ignorance, though.

U

urbangibbon

you aren't excluded because you're ugly, it's the normal looking ones with ugly hearts that belittle and exclude others who are different. Can you accept yourself if seemingly no one else does?? this is the big question....you can change your opinion of self, but with others it's a whole different story

and what's your image of a fulfilling life??
But many millions of people feel excluded because of the way they look. This is my experience and the experience of many others. Human beings are not autonomous units. We are a part of this society, no matter how isolated we are as people. You can only alter your opinion of self within certain limits. You cannot alter your opinion of self to the point where it is a denial of the truthful and factual. What you cannot alter are the simple irreversible truths about oneself and the way these impact your relationships and personal life.

Fulfilling life? It would be just nice not to be verbally and emotionally abused every time I step outside my front door to go about my business. Of course, in this I am not so unique because countless millions suffer such abuse every day and, as a result, are psychologically affected by it.

"Accept myself"? In most respects, I do. But despite making efforts in many directions, facial disfigurement is a difficult one to crack because the face is what makes people physically unique. It is what distinguishes one individual person from another. It is bound up with their identity, of who they are and how they present and relate to others on a daily basis all of their life. It is also bound up with the concept of sexual attraction and employability, etc.

Recently, I was speaking to a young woman (in her thirties) on an Acne forum. She said to me that she realised that we only realise how much we take things for granted when something catastrophic happens in our lives which totally turn our lives upside down. She had developed a severe cystic acne which was scarring her face. She was taking Roaccutane which is a very powerful anti-acne drug with severe side effects. Before this, she had a trouble free porcelain complexion. She said when she looks in a mirror now she can barely recognise herself. How does she now maintain her original opinion of herself and self-esteem?

Last edited:
W

wannabegooroo

then don't accept yourself, and see how that has been working.....good luck with your life, and remember everybody hurts )

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi Gibbon, sorry to hear of your struggles (and of yours too, Diesel).

I'm an eczema sufferer and my trigger is always stress, upset and/or anger. My problem areas are my feet and my hands. The feet can be covered, but my hands obviously can't.

I'm lucky that i've not had any unkind comments - insensitive comments, yes but nothing too offensive.
On one occasion, two or three different people asked me if i'd punched through a window because that's what my hands looked like. I didn't like that because i'm not a violent person and didn't like people making assumptions that would suggest that I am.

So yes, lucky that i've had no name-calling or anything like that. I'm sorry your experiences have been horrible though. I agree with what others have said here though - you have to see their ignorance for what it is and to try to not let it affect you or upset you. :hug:

U

urbangibbon

then don't accept yourself, and see how that has been working.....good luck with your life, and remember everybody hurts )
I have tried to accept this aspect of myself. You don't seem to understand that this is my problem and the source of much of my psychological make-up. It is a question of being able to accept and not a question of not wanting to. Or it is not simply a question of turning on a switch in the head and all is solved. Does anybody else think Wannabegooroo's approach is insensitive here or perhaps even quite brutal? It seems to completely ignore the existential problems we all face in our daily lives. Wouldn't it be nice if life was so simple?

It is a blaming approach. "It's your own fault" attitude.

Last edited: