Mental illness shaming

K

Kelly B

“Mental Illness Shaming” is a term I came up with to describe what is happening in the U.S. right now with President Trump generating even more stigma for an already neglected and marginalized segment of society. It breaks my heart.

BetaMale

BetaMale

Yeah, it's not like the US has a greater proportion of mentally ill people than the rest of the world.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
“Mental Illness Shaming” is a term I came up with to describe what is happening in the U.S. right now with President Trump generating even more stigma for an already neglected and marginalized segment of society. It breaks my heart.
I've encountered it all my life, so I am used to the mud-slinging. However, I know what you mean about Trump. At least, according to the news I've been getting, his comments are making things worse for us. It doesn't break my heart; it makes me angry.

K

Kelly B

Yeah, it's not like the US has a greater proportion of mentally ill people than the rest of the world.
. U.S. shutters almost all of the psychiatric hospitals without ensuring patients continue to receive care. Pretty much tossed them in the street to fend for themselves. How screwed up is that?!

K

Kelly B

I've encountered it all my life, so I am used to the mud-slinging. However, I know what you mean about Trump. At least, according to the news I've been getting, his comments are making things worse for us. It doesn't break my heart; it makes me angry.
It makes me angry too.

K

Kelly B

In an extremely twisted sort of way it might actually help to get the psychiatric hospitals opened up since people are eager to get us crazy mass shooters off the streets...lol

K

Kelly B

. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t share that I have a mental illness with anyone considering the current climate. Seemed like we were making a tiny little bit of progress in raising awareness and now it’s back into the shadows for us. Shame.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t share that I have a mental illness with anyone considering the current climate. Seemed like we were making a tiny little bit of progress in raising awareness and now it’s back into the shadows for us. Shame.
No, I don't talk to anyone about it. My family knows, of course, but that's it.

The current climate is the reason for my 'witch' screen name. In other words, it isn't 'witch' as in witchcraft, but 'witch' as in 'witch-hunt'.

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I watched a documentary called "The New Asylum" about how the mentally ill people are sent to prison rather than treatment these days. It's really sad. Perhaps they will open more treatment and housing for mentally ill people now.

Z

Zoe1

I think that was in 2005
I wonder if things have changed at all, probably not

:hug5:

G

George10111

Authorities are too generous with their prison sentences. Instead of throwing mentally ill people in prison, they need a safe clean facility to heal, same with addicts.

Prison is for killers, rapists, robbers and people who are actually bad. Throwing mentally ill people in prison is like throwing somebody in prison for their height, gender, any basic human status. Its ridiculous

K

Kelly B

Authorities are too generous with their prison sentences. Instead of throwing mentally ill people in prison, they need a safe clean facility to heal, same with addicts.

Prison is for killers, rapists, robbers and people who are actually bad. Throwing mentally ill people in prison is like throwing somebody in prison for their height, gender, any basic human status. Its ridiculous
It would be like throwing someone in jail for going into diabetic shock or acting out due to a brain tumor. Someone on Twitter said that something needs to be done because “the mentally ill walk among us.” Sounds like a title to a horror movie, doesn’t it? It suggests that we should be locked up because we will inevitably show up one day wearing a hockey mask and going on a murder spree. I had been considering being open about my mental illness but instead I must recede deeper into the shadows and pray I don’t lose my mind. Outside of family no one knows I have a serious mental illness. I’d like to keep it that way.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was reading an article the other day that implied that about60% of crimes were thru drink and drugs and only a small minority down to MH. Its just that if a person has MH issues its sensationalised on the news. But if they told us every time a crime was thru drink and drugs or a person without issues there’d be no time for other news

K

Kelly B

I was reading an article the other day that implied that about60% of crimes were thru drink and drugs and only a small minority down to MH. Its just that if a person has MH issues its sensationalised on the news. But if they told us every time a crime was thru drink and drugs or a person without issues there’d be no time for other news
Exactly. In the U.S. there are approximately 88,000 alcohol related deaths annually. As you know, people with mental illness only commit around 3% of the crimes and are disproportionately victims of violent crimes. To put things into perspective, FBI reported over 1,500,000 violent crimes in US.in 2014...only 1000 of which were committed by a person with a mental illness. Still the stigma persists. People fear us but who can blame them when the mentally ill are almost always portrayed as unstable maniacs in the movies and main stream media. In reality, we are the ones who need to be fearful. Over 1/4 of people with serious mental illness are victims of violent crimes. Its disgraceful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bipolar Forum 4
F Bipolar Forum 9
J Bipolar Forum 15
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5
K Bipolar Forum 12