• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental illness or diabetes....which would you choose?

S

starzzzzz

Just been having a chat with my flatmate. He has Type 1 diabetes. He has had it since he was a child. His illness is fairley well controlled with medication.

I have had depression with psychotic features and severe anxiety. My illness is very well controlled with medication.

My medication has side effects which restrict my life. So does his.

But he just said to me: "At least your problem wont mean you will have to have a limb amputated or go go blind!" And I said: "Yeah but when i come off my meds I may commit suicide!"

Just really wanted to share the conversation on here - cos it just proves...most people who haven't been here dont get it! And im not saying i would rather be blind or limbless...but you know what i mean?!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

starzzzzz

It wasn't an argument....just banter! But interesting none the less.

T

Topcat

Then of course, living with a life limiting disease could give you a good dose of depression, so the best(worst) of both worlds, as you contemplate your illness and possible early exit from this existence.

I think..... Maybe both are equally shit.
But other folk accept people being physically ill far more than accepting the possible severity of being mentally ill.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
But he just said to me: "At least your problem wont mean you will have to have a limb amputated or go go blind!"
If an attempt goes wrong, you put on weight because of your meds, you get Diabetes because of the weight gain you could.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave

Last edited:
SarahD

SarahD

I've got both. Just naturally lucky I guess!

Many people who take antipsychotics are at risk of developing diabetes as a side effect of their medication. And diabetics are at higher risk of depression (I think because it is a chronic disease, but there may be medical reasons).

S

starzzzzz

If an attempt goes wrong, you put on weight because of your meds, you get Diabetes because of the weight gain you could.
Yep... i can relate to that! 8.5 stone before my attempt. Change of meds following the attempt. Now 11st. :(

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Both are shit in different ways, but i'd stay with having mental health issues simply because i'm a weener when it comes to needles.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I have diabetes and Bipolar Disorder - so hey, I'm fucked :LOL: