• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mental illness + long distance = difficult

M

mynameislalala

My girlfriend and I have been a couple for a little more than 1,5 year now. We're long distance and both live with our families.

She has some mental health issues: An eating disorder, depression and a history of several suicide attempts. After really getting to know her, I have realized that it's most likely her home situation that's causing her most of these issues. Her mother has basically "given" her an eating disorder. She started putting her on diets when she was just a kid and still today, she tries to force her to do extreme diets, manipulates her into exercising and verbally abuses her everyday ("you're so fat", "nobody will love you like this", "your body is disgusting", "we need to hide your body" etc"). Her brother is also physically abusive.

I recently got back from a visit in her country. I came while her parents were out of town, and during these 10 days she seemed so much calmer and it was so much easier to be supportive. She managed to eat most of the time, we even cooked surprise meals for each other, and she just seemed overall mentally healthier. When her disorder did show up, I could at least be there for her physically and hug her and comfort her and she was always willing to talk to me about it. But as soon as I went home and her parents returned about a week ago, she has been "weird". She's not acting like herself: She seems anxious, is isolating from me, saying scary stuff, is acting cold and even kinda rude etc). Now she's saying that she doesn't want me to see her on Skype or anything until our next meeting (in months) because "she needs to lose weight first and wants to surprise me", she posts things on social media about how fat she is etc.

I know that her eating disorder and home situation is really making her feel terrible, it's understandable. But I don't know what to do about this. Ever since I got home to my country I feel so powerless, like I can't help at all. Supporting her being so far away is so much harder. During my visit I could hug her, she felt more comfortable during meals because unlike her family I don't insult her body or steal food from her plate because "she needs to lose weight" , and she actually talked to me about how she felt. Now she's just withdrawing herself from me. I'm super worried about her and it will be 4 months until we meet again.

I love this girl with all my heart but supporting her while being apart is so hard, partly because of what I mentioned above but also mentally for me since I feel very worried and powerless. It even seems like it makes her angry that I care...

She used to go to therapy but hasn't gone all summer. She has promised me to go back now and I hope she doesn't break that promise.

If anyone has any advice on what I can do to help I'll appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello and welcome to the forum. You are such a kind and loving partner. I can see how much you care about your girlfriend. She is being abused by her family and it is likely she will not realise this as she has grown up in this environment. I am wondering if her being more cold is due to her confusion as she is being shown love for the first time. It can be really difficult to accept love when we are not used to it. I think she needs to realise she is unwell and get herself therapy. You can only guide her but she has to do it herself. It is very hard and frustrating to see somebody in such a situation who will not take steps to get support so I do understand how you feel.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ineedhelp2921 Dealing with mental illness Mental Health Experiences 1
R Are more people with mental illness single and poor? Mental Health Experiences 40
P Mental illness and work Mental Health Experiences 14
Storm in a Teacup Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 23
W Is it just me and my mental illness ? Mental Health Experiences 1
R Having insight into your mental illness(es) Mental Health Experiences 3
D Books: those of mental illness experiences and/or writing one yourself. Mental Health Experiences 2
B Social Security disability Mental Illness & Being Judged for it. Mental Health Experiences 12
Mario82 Imagine what it was like living with mental illness in ancient times... Mental Health Experiences 13
D How long are mental health act assessments usually Mental Health Experiences 2
anex Grad school and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
Number 1 G Mental Health Psychiatrists & Home Care Or Other Area's Should Be Sued! Mental Health Experiences 1
S Seeing Duke In Mental Health With No Cure Mental Health Experiences 3
dovah1024 Combating work overload and mental health... Mental Health Experiences 13
T I think my mental health is making me physically sick. is that possible? Mental Health Experiences 2
S Is it gaslighting, or am I just more mental than I thought? Mental Health Experiences 19
A_Wilted_Daisy Eating, sleeping, and mental health Mental Health Experiences 2
T Are sleep problems related to mental problems Mental Health Experiences 2
T I feel depressed. My mental problems are stopping me from living Mental Health Experiences 1
D Mental health scares people. Mental Health Experiences 23
A Work and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
mysteryloris Mental health professionals Mental Health Experiences 12
B What's the Best advice you have been given (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 10
jajingna Do most people have mental health problems? Mental Health Experiences 13
A Mental Health state of International Students in Australia Mental Health Experiences 1
A partnership - mental harm service <- not my belief its my experience Mental Health Experiences 1
L What I've learned about my mental health Mental Health Experiences 7
A what is mental health? lets scrap the stigma Mental Health Experiences 1
W Mental health care, Hard pill to swallow Mental Health Experiences 7
River of Circle guilt for having mental health issues and not disclosing them Mental Health Experiences 2
Lance__ Joker film - would you recommend it (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 15
Mr Oreo Bunny Are mental health problems related to other things?? Mental Health Experiences 2
W Coming out online about mental health Mental Health Experiences 8
H Mental fatigue and Brainfog how to get rid of it? Mental Health Experiences 3
R Why is it so hard to talk to people about mental health? Mental Health Experiences 12
D Trauma from mental health hospital Mental Health Experiences 13
H A dog has lowered my mental health symptoms Mental Health Experiences 6
H Starting to drink and mental health Mental Health Experiences 4
sad_heart20 how many times you went to mental hosp? Mental Health Experiences 6
W Why do people get mental health problems Mental Health Experiences 20
U Why be open on mental health? Mental Health Experiences 13
Drawings_T Coming to terms with parents ignoring my mental health Mental Health Experiences 9
Anime-Alchemy My mental health and lying. Mental Health Experiences 1
Topcat Getting help for mental health during lockdown Mental Health Experiences 6
Mario82 This site is helping my mental health Mental Health Experiences 11
arihiandco Did mental neglect invalidate my trauma? Mental Health Experiences 2
I Mental health discredited, has this happened to you too? Mental Health Experiences 14
American Boy How are you feeling right now? (mental health related) Mental Health Experiences 2025
C Can loving someone called as a mental issue? Mental Health Experiences 5