Mental illness and traumatic childhood

K

Kelly B

I was watching a documentary on mental illness and there seems to a connection between mental illness and a traumatic childhood. I had a very traumatic childhood. Anyone else?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I did.

I don't know how anyone can go through a traumatic childhood without having some kind of emotional scars from it.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

Definitely. Nothing in the way of physical abuse, but a lot of emotional neglect and family dysfunction, many toxic people around me doing bad things.

K

Kelly B

Definitely. Nothing in the way of physical abuse, but a lot of emotional neglect and family dysfunction, many toxic people around me doing bad things.
Sounds a lot like my family growing up except my parents had no problem using a leather belt on us. I don’t know how I survived but I did. I never go back home there. Too painful.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

Sounds a lot like my family growing up except my parents had no problem using a leather belt on us. I don’t know how I survived but I did. I never go back home there. Too painful.
I’m so sorry you had to deal with that, I know my mother used to beat my older sister... she is the type to be “grateful” that she was “disciplined”, which makes me incredibly sad... :(

Also, may I ask, what was the name of the documentary you were watching? I’m interested

fazza

fazza

I am currently unpacking my childhood during therepy. I Was diagnosed as a schizophrenia sufferer so I can say that I think my childhood experiences has had an affect on my mental health.

K

Kelly B

I’m so sorry you had to deal with that, I know my mother used to beat my older sister... she is the type to be “grateful” that she was “disciplined”, which makes me incredibly sad... :(

Also, may I ask, what was the name of the documentary you were watching? I’m interested
The documentary was called “Bipolarized”. It’s about a man who was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder when what he actually had was PTSD stemming from childhood trauma. The psychiatrist in the documentary said people with a mental illness quite often have a history of childhood trauma. I’m also sorry that you grew up in that environment. If you and I had grown up in the same house we probably would have been hiding underneath the bed together...lol

K

Kelly B

I am currently unpacking my childhood during therepy. I Was diagnosed as a schizophrenia sufferer so I can say that I think my childhood experiences has had an affect on my mental health.
I have bipolar disorder but my oldest brother has schizophrenia. Under the word “traumatized” in the dictionary there should be a picture of him. I’m glad to know you’re in therapy trying to heal from your past. I am only just beginning to come to terms with my past and I’m 53. Like you, I need to drop some baggage. 😊

fazza

fazza

I am 45. Never realised why the way I think like I do and I have made so many distructive decisions over the years and it is all down to my childhood. At first I was diagnosed as bipolar but that changed to schizophrenia 2 years later.

Right now they are completely unsure so they are throwing everything at me. Lithium Lurasidone sertraline and therapy.

Our past really can screw up the present and most of the time we don't realise how damaged we are.

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

The documentary was called “Bipolarized”. It’s about a man who was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder when what he actually had was PTSD stemming from childhood trauma. The psychiatrist in the documentary said people with a mental illness quite often have a history of childhood trauma. I’m also sorry that you grew up in that environment. If you and I had grown up in the same house we probably would have been hiding underneath the bed together...lol
Thank you Kelly B I’m going to find it and watch it!!

M

megirl

Yes I undoubtedly have from a very young age suffered from depression and some intermittent hypomanic episodes, if I had had a loving and supportive family environment I may never have got as ill or struggled as much as I did. Well I certainly would have got the help earlier which would have made a difference.
And of course BPD is a result of some form of childhood trauma,so without the negative up-bringing yeh life may have been different.
I certainly know without doubt that I would have had bipolar with or without a supportive and stable upbringing.
I know early intervention and treatment is certainly the key to faster recovery.
I have a family history of depression,anxiety and bipolar disorder,

4EVRHSP

4EVRHSP

Me too.
Although my trauma is probably a lot milder than some other people's experiences here. I am a true HSP which makes things hard for people to get, mostly because what I deem to be intense experiences are just normal for some.