• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental Illness and excercise..what do you do to workout while depressed?

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

Mental Illness and excercise..what do you do to workout while depressed?

I am forcing myself, literally forcing myself to workout. I am taking it slow. What do you guys do to workout when you are not very motivated and battleing depression/anxiety etc..?

S

spiritfriend

Oh... I don't work out lol.

But my advice would be to add fun into it. Like for me, I like looking at landscapes and pacing around the place. So running in the forest would sound like a good idea.

I can't swim, but maybe you can? Swimming looks like a whole lot of fun. I wish I could swim. I would pretend to be a mermaid.

Some days you feel like working out. Other days you don't. I don't think you should pressure yourself. Like what you said, take things slow.

Good luck. :goodluck:

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Mostly I like to go on walks. This year I made it more interesting by catching a train somewhere interesting and then following a route. I have not done a load of walks, but got out a few times. I figure its just the start, and I will walk more and more in the future.

I am not keen on running. I do have a bicycle but I don't like riding in traffic. I do swim, but mostly on super hot summer days.

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

Lol, those things do sound nice. I am going to will myself to go walking on this trail surrounded by woods soon..in the near future..
I am so glad we can vent to people who understand, you are the first person to say take it slow. People with zero history of mental illness are usually ignorant..thats what google is for though..but they cant be bothered to educate themselves...anyways starting to rant lol.

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

Walking is great for mental illness, any kind of excercise is better than nothing you know? I like to run, walk and many other things but I am stuck in the early stages of depression so just fuc#!$ moving my body more I have to have an iron will. Hate it. It all pisses me off.

C

Coast2

I am forcing myself, literally forcing myself to workout. I am taking it slow. What do you guys do to workout when you are not very motivated and battleing depression/anxiety etc..?
I run in my local park. When I feel really low and like I don't want to exercise I'll do a walk first. After 20 minutes of walking the endorphins kick in and I then run for 30 mins. I run 5 days a week, do yoga twice a week, and do the gym three times a week.

It was really tough when I was poorly, I didn't want to do anything, but gradually its got easier.

Keep pushing, exercise is brilliant for mental illness.

M

Mr lonely

Yeah I walk lots in the early morning when everyone is asleep so I don't have to interact with others....depends on ya neighbourhood tho I guess. :) Have fun waking, tc

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

I used to walk or jog at night for the same reasons. Thanks, you too. I might starting jogging at night again. I will just bring my knife. Lol

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

I used to be that active or close to it. I know its the number one thing that helps me in basically all areas of my life. I just started medication and it makes me tired. I also was not active at all for awhile so I have to build everythinh back up again...bleh..thanks for the encouragment.

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

I will try. Mugging me right now would not be wise. Lol

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

i need to workout but i just cant force myself too

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I have a dog. He motivates me cos would feel like letting him down if didn't walk. He takes me for walks. That is my exercise

Kickingthefog

Kickingthefog

It is so hard to do for me too..I havnt worked out in weeks..my legs are so sore just from doing jumping jacks yesterday..everything aches because I just lay around all day..

N

natalie

I don't suffer from depression, however to prevent stress from coming on, in the first place, I always workout to my fitness dvds, and also to attend fitness dance zumba classes, to aid as reocvery tricks for my szchophrenia conditions. Plus I'll walk in between various bus routes a lot.