Mental health TV shows - Saturday 22/9/2018 to Friday 28/9/2018

G

gobrien

Founding Member
Saturday

10pm, Ghost Asylum, Discovery Science. Apparent hauntings at abandoned mental homes

11pm, Dancer, BBC 2. Documentary exploring the psychological strain that success imposes upon the famous, about Ukrainian dancer Sergei Polunin, who took the dance world by storm and became the Royal Ballet's youngest ever principal dancer - before walking away aged 22.

11:30pm, Scijinks - Chemical Over Reaction, Discovery Science. Johnny Galecki and his genius team of pranksters engineer a chemical emergency and find out what happens when mind control goes wrong.

11.50pm, Celebrities in Therapy, 5 Select.

For a good laugh;

3.40am, Cockneys Versus Zombies, Horror channel. Yes really - and it really is as stupid as it sounds. You're having a laugh - or you will when you see how daft it is.

(When one of the dumb zombies climbs over a fence but then sees that it has a gate - and so climbs back over the fence to use the gate! That is the standard we are talking about here)

I thought Cockneys were already zombies given their football teams this season?

The undead lifelike in London - Madam Tussauds? The House of Lords?

Why is the Cockney Rhyming Slang for zombie - fitch?

Ironically Chas from the Cockney music act Chas And Dave sadly died earlier today.

Sunday

11:30am, Dr Sanjay Gupta, the CNN news channel. General health magazine show, often has mental health items

9pm, Starsky and Hutch - The Avenger, Forces TV. Seventies police drama series.

In this one, the duo investigate a woman's claims that a psychopathic man is murdering every man she dates.

(I won't spoil the twist ending - ok I will have to because only that will explain why I've included it - do you think the denouement will involve cross-dressing and multiple personality disorder? She looks good in a suit and fedora hat actually. I'd thwart her by dating her at a naturist club - she wouldn't be able to disguise herself. And what is she `avenging' exactly? I'm a man and I'd have voted for Hillary)

Starring Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul.

9pm, The Wrong Student, Lifetime channel. Kelly Halligan has moved with her 17-year-old niece from New York to California to start her new business venture. When her niece tries out for the soccer team, the two meet the athletic and handsome new coach Dominic. They also become acquainted with the attractive but somewhat unstable, student Maddie who is also on the girl's high school soccer team. While Kelly and Dominic develop a romance, Dominic becomes the unwanted centre of attention for Maddie, who becomes obsessed with her new coach and proceeds to sabotage his life and Kelly's after he doesn't accept her sexual advances.

(See if Dominic wears a waistcoat)

1.20am, My Extreme Stammer and Me, 5 Star

2am, Sharp Objects - Vanish, Sky Atlantic. Drama starring Amy Adams, based on the book of the same name by Gillian Flynn, following the story of a troubled newspaper reporter who travels back to her hometown to cover the story of the murders of two young girls. When she returns to her hometown, reporter Camille Preaker is confronted by psychological demons from her troubled past.

Monday

2.15pm, Woman on the Edge, Channel 5. Following the suicide of her sister, an investigative journalist begins to look into the circumstances surrounding her death and discovers that is may be linked to a number of other recent murders that are set up to look like suicides.

Thriller starring Rumer Willis, Jeffery Patterson and Christina De Rosa.

6pm, Half Magic, Sky Cinema Premiere. A group of women attempt to navigate work, friendship and sex while also trying to find empowerment in a male-dominated society.

Romantic comedy, written, directed by and starring Heather Graham, with Angela Kinsey and Stephanie Beatriz

8.30pm, Panorama - Kids in Crisis, BBC 1. Sean Fletcher, whose own teenage son Reuben has been hospitalised with severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, investigates the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service - CAMHS. He looks into whether care is being rationed in some areas, leaving children to deteriorate until they have to be hospitalised, and speaks to despairing parents who believe their children's lives have been put at risk.

1am, My Crazy Ex - Duped, Doped and Delirious, Lifetime channel. A woman refuses to accept that her recent ex is terrorising her. Another woman tries to smoke out the truth about her mysterious old flame. And a guy's relationship with his personal trainer brings him to his knees.

Tuesday

10.35pm, The Undateables, Channel 4. Dating show with people with Asperger's etc

Wednesday

5:30pm, Leading Women, CNN. Profiling current influential women who have made it to the top in their fields. Leading Women connects you to extraordinary women of our time. Each month, we meet two women at the top of their field, exploring their careers, lives and ideas.

Watch online - Leading Women - CNN.com

8pm, Trust Me I'm a Doctor, BBC 1. Michael Mosley finds out whether singing can boost feel-good chemicals in the brain, Dr Zoe Williams discovers why music could help people with dementia, and Dr Alain Gregoire looks at some new research showing the surprising benefits of group singing for mothers with post-natal depression. Plus, Gabriel Weston investigates whether detoxing is a con.

9pm, Louis Theroux: Extreme Love - Dementia, Really.

10pm, Bull, Fox. Dr Jason Bull is a trial consultant psychologist

10pm, Hang Ups, Channel 4. Comedy series written by and starring Stephen Mangan as Richard Pitt, a therapist with a chequered professional career, who finds himself at a crossroads in life.

11pm, Sex Lies And Love Bites - The Agony Aunt Story, BBC 4.

1am, Silver Linings Playbook, Channel 4. A teacher is committed to a psychiatric institution after battering his wife's lover. Eight months later, he is released into the care of his parents and sets about rebuilding his ruined life, finding help in the shape of a woman with psychological issues of her own to resolve.

Romantic comedy drama, starring an Oscar-winning Jennifer Lawrence, with Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro.

Thursday

8:30am, Dr Sanjay Gupta, the CNN news channel. General health magazine show, often has mental health items

(D-Day The Sixth Of June at 5pm on Film 4. The actor Richard Todd was in this movie, and was in The Longest Day movie which was about D-Day too - and was an actual British soldier on D-Day itself! So he was offered the option of simply playing himself as a character - but he wanted to play someone of a higher army rank than he had held in 1944!)

8.30pm, Young Sheldon, E4. Spin-off from college comedy series The Big Bang Theory, featuring a 9 year old Sheldon Cooper. Despite speculation that Sheldon's personality traits may be consistent with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, and borderline asexuality, co-creator Bill Prady has repeatedly stated that Sheldon's character was neither conceived nor developed with regard to any of these traits

(Another series of The Big Bang Theory starts on Thursday at 8pm on E4 - so right before this actually - by this point in that series Sheldon somehow has a girlfriend)

9pm, Instinct, Sky Witness. A retired CIA officer working as a college psychological behavioural professor and author

US drama series, starring Alan Cumming and Bojana Novakovic.

9.50pm, Night Owls, Sky Cinema Premiere. A one-night stand takes a disastrous turn when a workaholic discovers that the depressed woman he has gone home with is his boss's ex-mistress.

Romantic comedy, starring Adam Pally, Rosa Salazar and Rob Huebel.

10.25pm, Experiment Perilous, BBC 4. A psychiatrist becomes obsessed with a tragic woman who is being held a virtual prisoner by her crazed elderly husband, who views her as a possession. However, the doctor's well-meaning intervention leads to deceit and madness, culminating in a violent confrontation.

1944 murder mystery starring Hedy Lamarr, George Brent and Paul Lukas.

(A profile of Hedy Lamarr precedes it - she invented radio torpedo guidance and wi-fi etc - yes really)

1am, My Crazy Ex : Deranged, Changed and Arranged, Lifetime channel. A woman falls for a guy with a frightening obsession. A barman's new girlfriend turns him into someone new. A woman falls for a family man, in the truest sense of the word.

Friday

9pm, My Strange Addiction, Discovery Home and Health channel

9.30pm, My Strange Addiction, Discovery Home and Health channel

10pm, Bull, Fox. Dr Jason Bull is a trial consultant psychologist

10pm, American Psycho, W channel. A financier in 1980s New York tries desperately to present an image of success and outshine his peers in the business world, while secretly committing horrific acts for his own enjoyment. His carefully ordered life begins to unravel when a detective investigates his crimes.

Satirical drama based on Bret Easton Ellis's novel, starring Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe and Reese Witherspoon.

Daily

8.30am, Frasier, Channel 4. The psychiatrist abandons his bar-propping in Boston (a heavily Irish descendant city in the north eastern USA) in favour of presenting a radio show in Seattle (a more Hippie influenced city in the north west). However, his new life is thrown into upheaval when his father moves in with him - followed by his apparently psychic care assistant Daphne.

(There are just over 260 episodes and it runs in double-bills at 9am daily)

11.10am, The Mentalist, 5 USA. American drama series based on the work of Patrick Jane, an independent consultant with the California Bureau of Investigation. Once a fraudulent celebrity psychic, he uses his skills of observation and understanding of human behaviour to help the CBI to solve its most serious crimes.