• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental health TV - Sat 10/1/2015 - Fri 16/1/2015

G

gobrien

Founding Member
The `Je Suis Charlie' Campaign - My Efforts

My attempts at Religious satire after events in Paris are at the bottom of this list - see below

Saturday

7pm, Hoarding: Buried Alive, TLC

9pm, I Dated a Psycho, Crime and Investigation. Documentary series examining once-loving relationships that soured in terrifying fashion.

9.15pm, The Ronnie O'Sullivan Show, British Eurosport 1. The snooker play has depression but won the last tournament he was in

10pm, Criminal Minds - The Inspired, Sky Living. The agents hold a delusional man in custody for the multiple murders of women who have cheated on their partners, but the discovery of the suspect's doppelganger forces a major re-evaluation of their investigation.

Guest starring Camryn Manheim and Fred Koehler

11pm, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - , Yesterday. Classic Seventies comedy, starring Leonard Rossiter as the executive stuck in a middle-aged crisis rut and eager to change the world

(The next one is on Sunday and then the next weekend etc)

1.15am, Scanners, Film 4. A man with dangerous psychic powers is recruited by a sinister corporation to infiltrate and destroy an underground movement led by a fanatical renegade telepath intent on taking over the world.

Gritty and grisly sci-fi thriller, with heaps of cult appeal and a fantastic (as in far-fetched?) premise concocted by writer and director David Cronenberg.

Stephen Lack, Patrick McGoohan, Michael Ironside and Jennifer O'Neill head the cast

3:30am, Taxi, CBS Drama. US sitcom series set in a taxi firm. The Latkas Gravas character is from a fictional European country where they don't speak English. His dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder) was conceived late in the series as a result of actor Andy Kaufman expressing boredom at portraying Latka. This allowed him to broaden his comedic abilities with alternate personas.

(New York City taxi-drivers are often notoriously foreign - or that is the stereotype which this character plays into)

Sunday

11:30am, Dr Sanjay Gupta, the CNN news channel. General health magazine show, often has mental health items

2pm, The Ringer, Sony Entertainment Television. An able-bodied office worker's amoral uncle persuades him to compete in the Special Olympics in an unethical bid to raise money. However the presence of an attractive trainer, and the friendliness of his fellow competitors, forces the phoney athlete to change his plans.

Controversial comedy, produced by kings of the politically incorrect, the Farrelly brothers, and starring Johnny Knoxville, Brian Cox and Katherine Heigl

9pm, TNA Impact Wrestling, Challenge TV. American wrestling.

(Repeated on Tuesday at 11pm)

The story so far - wrestler and demented stalker Samuel Shaw has been stalking the attractive female ring announcer Christie Hemme (by setting up a secret shrine to her in his house etc - which she then accidently discovered). Knight in shining armour (or actually shining lycra to be more accurate) wrestler Mister Anderson rode to the rescue. The two men have since been feuding.

During a resulting "Padded Van Match" aka a "Committed Match" (where you have to throw your opponent inside an ambulance which has padded interior walls and then lock them inside) the goodie wrestler Mister Anderson won by doing that to baddie crazed stalker wrestler Samuel Shaw.

You win that type of bout by forcing your opponent into the padded ambulance as I say, and the loser (locked inside) is then transported under flashing lights and sirens to a mental institution!

We saw scenes of Samuel Shaw simply sitting catatonic in the padded-room of a mental home, and he was dressed in a strait-jacket too!
Fellow wrestler Gunner began talking to him there and counselling him

See what the next stage of this wrestling storyline is.

Latest - Shaw has now turned on Gunner and has a woman helping him!

American wrestling, so subtle - eh? Anyone would think it was all fixed.

11pm, Cracker, ITV 3.

Monday

11:10am, A Time to Remember, Channel 5 +24. An embittered woman returns to the family home for Thanksgiving, where she tries to heal the fractured relationship between herself and her estranged mother. Events take a dramatic turn, however, when in transpires that her mother has Alzheimer's.

Drama, starring Dana Delany, Doris Roberts, Megan Gallagher and Louise Fletcher

1pm, Star Trek: The Next Generation: Sarek, Syfy. Violent mood-swings begin to affect the crew when Ambassador Sarek, father of legendary Vulcan Spock, boards the Enterprise to establish relations between the United Federation of Planets and the Legarans.

Sci-fi adventure, starring Patrick Stewart and Mark Lenard

Just the background to help you understand the episode;

Vulcans are telepathic (especially with each other) and face an inevitable form of dementia, which is a taboo topic to them.

Any displays of emotion bring disgrace too, so are suppressed, but the suppression ability wanes in old age.

And Sarek's diplomatic status additionally means his on-set is being kept quiet for that reason too

3.15pm, High Noon, Channel 5. Stalker slot drama, this one alluding to the famous Gary Cooper western of the same name

8pm, Star Trek: The Next Generation: Masks, CBS Action. An alien archiving device begins to transform the Enterprise into a replica of its ancient society, and Mr Data is taken over by a series of personalities from the era.

(Mr Data is an android - a robot in Human form. And like Mr Spock in The Original Series his academic intellect but ignorance of many Human traits usually acts as a plot device to explain to the viewer what is going on in each episode)

Sci-fi drama, starring Brent Spiner

(Star Trek notoriously type-casts actors. Leonard Nimoy never really got subsequent work in other things. So these days concocted plots are sometimes included which allow the actors to show off their full acting range to the producers of other shows. This is Brent Spiner's go)

9pm, The Undateables, Channel 4. Return of the documentary following people with a range of restrictive conditions as they search for romance.
The experiences of 35-year-old Tim, who has a mild learning disability and has wanted to marry for many years. When he meets Laura, 27, will he reveal he's already planned every detail of his wedding day? Essex boy Ali has achondroplasia, the most common form of dwarfism, and at 4ft 2, the 22-year-old is used to being the centre of attention on a night out, yet has never had a girlfriend. When he meets Kirsty, his nerves threaten to get the better of him and ruin the date. Finally, 27-year-old raver Alec has Saethre-Chotzen syndrome, a rare genetic condition characterised by the fusion of cranial features. Too nervous to approach girls himself, he turns to a dating agency for help and before long plans are made for him to meet research scientist Charlie

9pm, What's The Right Diet For You?, BBC 2. The biological and psychological impacts of food

(Subsequent episodes are on subsequent days)

10pm, Stalker, Sky Living. Homicide detective Jack Larsen teams up with troubled-yet-knowledgeable detective Beth Davis - and together they encounter stalkers of every shape, size and age. All the while struggling to keep their own compulsions at bay.

Psychological thriller series, starring Maggie Q and Dylan McDermott

10.35pm, Togetherness, Sky Atlantic. From the outside, life appears to be pretty perfect for Brett and Michelle Pierson and their two kids, but the couple are struggling to rekindle the spark in their relationship.

Adding to the stresses of family life are Michelle's sister Tina and Brett's best friend Alex, who both end up moving into the Piersons' already cramped house.

American comedy series, starring Mark Duplass, Melanie Lynskey, Amanda Peet and Steve Zissis

1am, Do No Harm, Watch. TV series with a Jeykyll and Hyde theme

Tuesday

3:50pm, The Man Who Haunted Himself, Horror Channel. A respectable executive recovers after a car accident, only to find that he has somehow been seen in places he has never been to, has ruined his own business, and is having an affair.

He becomes convinced that a double of him now exists, and is destroying his life, but also fears that he may be losing his mind.

Psychological thriller, starring Roger Moore, Hildegarde Neil, Anton Rodgers and Freddie Jones (as his over-acting Scottish psychiatrist)

4pm, Law & Order: Criminal Intent: In the Dark, FOX. Goren and Eames uncover a series of frauds during an investigation into the deaths of several homeless people. Further inquiries lead them to a woman in the early stages of dementia and a man willing to commit murder to demonstrate his devotion to her.

Starring Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe and Jamey Sheridan

6pm, Myth Busters: Fright Night, Discovery Channel. Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman investigate how easy it is to move a dead body, whether it is possible to smell fear (via sweat), and if particular sound frequencies can convince people of paranormal activity

8pm, Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, Channel 4

Wednesday

5:30pm, Leading Women, CNN. Profiling current influential women who have made it to the top in their fields. Leading Women connects you to extraordinary women of our time. Each month, we meet two women at the top of their field, exploring their careers, lives and ideas.

Watch online - Leading Women - CNN.com

9pm, Phil Spector, Sky Atlantic. Lawyer Linda Kenney Baden joins the team defending Phil Spector after he is charged with the murder of actress Lana Clarkson. As she gets to know him, she must determine whether to allow the music producer to take the stand to testify in his own defence.

Fact-based drama written and directed by David Mamet, starring Al Pacino and Helen Mirren, with Jeffrey Tambor and Chiwetel Ejiofor

11:45pm, Along Came a Spider, Film 4. The daughter of a senator is kidnapped from her expensive private school, sparking a desperate race to hunt down her psychotic and devilishly intelligent captor before it's too late. Luckily, grizzled police psychologist Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman) is on hand to match wits with the villain.

Nail-biting thriller based on James Patterson's best-selling page-turner, starring Monica Potter, Michael Wincott, Dylan Baker and Penelope Ann Miller

Thursday

8:30am, Dr Sanjay Gupta, the CNN news channel. General health magazine show, often has mental health items

7pm, The Day John Lennon Died, H2. His steps on December 8th 1980 are retraced through interviews with people who came into contact with him, including fan Paul Goresh, who took the now infamous picture of the singer-songwriter signing an album sleeve for his killer Mark David Chapman hours before the murder.

Lennon's widow Yoko Ono explains how his death affected those who knew and loved him, and recalls their life together with son Sean, while contributors including Cilla Black, David Frost and Liam Gallagher talk about his enduring influence today. Narrated by Paul McGann

Mark David Chapman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9pm, Cyberbully, Channel 4. Depressed teenager Casey Jacobs is in constant digital communication with her friends, with their lives played out through texts, video calls and social media updates. However, when she's targeted by an advanced computer hacker, the dark depths of the internet are exposed. Director Ben Chanan's chilling real-time thriller is inspired by real-life cases and most of the events depicted have happened to individual people.

Starring Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones)

10:15pm, Psychobitches, Sky Arts 1. Comedy sketch show starring Rebecca Front as a psychiatrist who conducts therapy sessions with some of history's most famous women.

Sylvia Plath tries to write cheerier poems, the Bronte sisters squabble like petulant toddlers, while Eva Peron struggles to deal with feelings of grandiosity. An ageing Margot Fontaine refuses to hang up her ballet slippers. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis compete over who was the biggest screen siren, and Audrey Hepburn tests the therapist's patience with her cutesy quirks.

With Julia Davis, Sharon Horgan and Mark Gatiss

11pm, The Food Hospital, Community Channel. The healthcare experts use food-based remedies to treat a teenager with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder

Friday

10am, Understanding: Amazing Brain, Discovery Channel

10:40pm, Couples Retreat, ITV 1. Comedy written by 'Iron Man' director, Jon Favreau. Four couples find themselves drawn together at a tropical resort, where therapy sessions are mandatory.

Vince Vaughn, Kristin Davis and Jean Reno make up the stellar cast.

2.55am, The Mrs Bradley Mysteries: Speedy Death, Drama channel. Amateur sleuth and professional psychologist Mrs Bradley enlists the help of her chauffeur George to investigate a murder that took place at her god-daughter's engagement party.

1920's era detective drama, based on the novels by Gladys Mitchell, starring Diana Rigg, Neil Dudgeon, John Alderton and Lynda Baron

The next week;

Saturday

3pm, House: The Socratic Method, Sky Atlantic. The doctor treats a schizophrenic woman admitted with a pulmonary embolism, but soon realises there must be more to her case when she starts bleeding excessively. He finds a tumour on the patient's liver which could explain the blood, but refuses to give up on his theory that the original diagnosis of mental illness was incorrect - and Chase's solution to the puzzle could change the woman's life for ever.

Medical mystery drama, starring Hugh Laurie and Jesse Spencer

9pm, Diabolical: Shattered, Investigation Discovery. The death of expectant mother Heather Messenger, who was killed by her husband David in front of their five-year-old child in 1998.

Investigators contemplate whether he was acting in self-defence, fell victim to mental illness, or whether something else prompted his actions

(He takes out a million dollar life insurance policy on his wife, which has a clause that if he murders her whilst insane then he still gets the money - he duly kills her the week after - and then says he was insane at the time, but miraculously was then immediately cured just as the cheque arrived. And the judge initially falls for it!)

10pm, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: Manic, Universal Channel. Stabler and Benson enlist the help of Dr Huang as they struggle to find a connection between a major pharmaceutical firm's illegal marketing campaign and the mysterious deaths of two high-school students.

Hard-hitting drama, starring Christopher Meloni, Mariska Hargitay and BD Wong

The `Je Suis Charlie' Campaign - My Efforts

1st Scouse at Hillsborough - "The Liverpool Echo has suddenly put `Je Suis Charlie' on its website masthead - but I reckon they'd stoke up a lynch-mob themselves if anyone made a satire about Hillsborough."

2nd Scouse at Hillsborough - "I can't get my breath to them."

Viz magazine - "If one of our staff gets terminal Cancer, do you know a Moslem who will shoot them for us?"

Private Eye magazine - "Brilliant idea! And can you do the same back for us too? We'd both sell a million copies after."

Moses - "Jewish extremists make me so embarrassed that I often feel like parting The Red Sea again - just to get away from them."

Jesus Christ - "Christian extremists make me so embarrassed that I often feel like selling the time-share flat I have in Northern Ireland."

Mohammed - "Moslem extremists make me so embarrassed that I often feel that I can't even show my face in public."

French president Francoise Hollande - "How many attacks on France will it take for Tony Blair to start showing solidarity with us - to the extent that he starts speaking our language on camera again?"

Jewish person - "An eye for an eye."

Gandhi - "But `an eye for an eye' will make everyone blind."

Shakti - "I'd prefer `an arm for an arm' personally - at least that would give me a line of credit."

Argos - "I'm happy with the original suggestion actually - but for the same reason as Shakti. At least it would stop people thinking that I'm only a catalogue-shopping place."

Buddha - "We must live in caves to end all of this suffering."

Guru Nanak - "We must bandage our heads to end all of this suffering."

Moslem extremist - "You'll have to bandage your head after I cave it in if you don't agree with me over how to end all of this suffering."

Christian - "I believe that God is everywhere."

Hindu - "I believe that God is in every thing."

Allah - "You will see my work in every place."

Me - "All those Gods of yours - can they please sort out all the religious trouble which they seem to be causing everywhere?"

Q. If the Pope has twenty Sikh sheep, and one dies - how many does he have left?

A. None - they were from (r)Am-ritsar.

Extremist Sikh - "If I throw this sacred Kirpan sword into a crowded church, it will kill lots of Christians."

Anglican vicar - "A crowded church? I wish."

Dalai Lama - "My last name sounds like a sort of camel."

Hindu - "We worship cows, which are a bit like camels."

Very rich Moslem from Saudi Arabia - "If we hadn't found all that oil, we'd only have camels."

Q. What book does Salman Rushdie read when his ship is sinking?

A. The Titanic verses

A football team could win The Moslem FA Cup if simply naming their team The Satanic - other teams would always have to forfeit the tie to prevent the fixture `The Satanic versus (is the other team)' from being printed in newspapers.

Q. Who built The Pyramids?

1. The Pharaohs?
2. Barratts?
3. The job is still up for tender?

Moslem bloke at a Council meeting - "To carry out my worship - I need Planning Permission."

Tantric bloke at a Council meeting - "To carry out my worship - I need Family Planning and my wife's Permission."

John Prescott at a Council meeting - "I Plan to ask my mistress for Permission after this meeting."

If people want British Moslems to be more like the rest of us - does that mean that rather like Captain Scott, when they travel to Mecca they find that a bunch of far better prepared Norwegian Moslems have already got there a month earlier?

Or like Lord Hunt on Mount Everest, do they pay for and organise the trip to Mecca, only to turn out to be all rubbish at it near the end - and so a Nepali Moslem and a New Zealander Moslem who were originally meant only to be merely tagging along with them actually have to do the last part of the journey to Mecca alone?

Or if travelling to Mecca was like Space travel, would British Moslems always have to hitch-hike with American and Russian Moslems?

Or even get blind drunk, smash up Mecca, and then lose at Penalties - that'd be being totally British when travelling.

That selfish apartment in London which put spikes on the floor outside to stop homeless people sleeping there, they were lucky not to have then found an Indian bloke lying down on them instead.

The Falkland Islands shouldn't belong to Argentina - they say imagine if part of The British Isles was ruled by a foreign country - how we'd feel about that. But that isn't the case about The British Isles - part of it doesn't belong to a foreign country does it? So that parallel doesn't hold water- as I pointed out to an Irish bloke the other day.

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Doctor"
"Doctor who?"

"Yes - Doctor Who - that Terry Nation just put some ancient Buddhist ideas into a sci-fi series and somehow everybody thinks that its brilliant.

Captain Scarlet! Captain Scarlet! Lives in the clouds, with some angels, rises from the dead, and his enemy creates things after initially destroying them first - that sounds like Jesus Christ fighting the Hindu god Shiva to me - did Gerry Anderson do his National Service in India and is he playing a secret joke on us?

If you go to India "to find yourself" and some Hindu guru says that his particular Hindu sect is the true path and is everything you are looking for in life, and you believe him (like those naïve Beatles did), have you ever wondered why all the other 800 million Hindus in India all just ignore him completely and follow one of the other 1000 odd Hindu sects?

Oh, and in case you've ever wondered, that J Robert Oppenheimer with his - "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds” - after inventing the Atom Bomb actually got that Hindu quote completely wrong - well did you really think that a 1940's American atomic scientist would know the vagaries of an ancient eastern Religion?

Nigel Farage, Jeremy Clarkson, and Katie Hopkins are all walking past a Mosque - what a nice example of tolerant multicultural Britain.

Online railing against Yoga in the name of Christianity;

“They are based on Eastern religions and they call upon the powers of whatever spirits they believe in. In the West people think it’s innocent but it’s not. With yoga it is harmful because it involves meditation which is an open door to the devil. The whole Lotus Position is geared around worshipping a demon, it’s a way to please that demon.”

I can't do that pose - so being very stiff means you are a Christian? Makes you wonder why they bothered building a wooden cross to nail Jesus to.

Quote found online - "The computer you are reading this on, indirectly comes from occult sources. (The Bible code and Kabala scholars used encryption analysis and code breaking skills to develop through Mathematics the first computer, in Milton Keynes to decode the Enigma machine the Nazis had made (which was no doubt influence by the occult also). Mobile phones are from the study of radio waves and physics-microwave radiation that passes signals through the air. This comes from originally occult studies also. In fact you could argue that 90% of the technology we use today comes from occult studies."

Well if your computer is The Devil etc then don't use it to put your dopey Christian rantings online please - or can only I see that irony? Using the Devil to warn us about the Devil - I ask you.

I could say `day', and you could say `night'
Tell me it's black when I know that it's white
It's always the same, it's just a shame, That's All

From the song That's All - by Genesis - 1983 - Genesis - That's all with lyrics! - YouTube

Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door?
With a thousand million Questions
About hate and death and war?

'Cause when we stop and look around us
There is nothing that we need.
In a world of persecution that is burning in its greed.

From the song Question - by The Moody Blues (1970) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTLNNLBKPaA

(See you in court) - https://twitter.com/Je_suis_Charlie