Mental health -the way forward

F

firemonkee57

Few submissions so far. Seems to be dominated by mental health professionals high on theorising . Definitely needs carers and service users input as to what is needed on a day to day basis.
Could be a good vehicle for progress and better services or could, as it seems at the moment, just be a vehicle for “politicised” intellectual debate.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Does this apply to the whole of Britain or just NHS England? Health care is devolved in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

F

firemonkee57

The site is Your Britain not Your England so I reckon would be whole of UK .

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Just a suggestion; you could copy and paste the questions featured in the pdf attachment in this article and get forum users' opinions on them. There are quite a few, though. Or you could post each question in the relevant threads.

F

firemonkee57

Here were the questions asked.

Questions
How can we best identify and address the root
causes of mental distress in our society?
What measures can we take to promote
awareness of mental health in our society and
ensure it works alongside policies in other
areas?
What action should be taken to ensure that
those groups which are at greater risk from
suffering from mental health problems (e.g.
LGBT, BAME) in our society are given the help
they need?
How can we share best practice across local/
devolved authorities in policy development?

S

Stu

In work we have a poster on a wall that says just send a txt or ask of someone is okay.

Which isn't bad but that is about how far employers are willing to go.

Forget there is no work life balance or the job is too stressful, forget that go for the cheapest option.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There were more on the third page too which I found interesting too about early intervention, prevention of mental health issues, parity of esteem and funding.

Obviously the root causes of mental illness are often related to traumatic experiences. Also there will be a direct link with poverty. But psychiatrists can be biased in their diagnosis and will over diagnose depending on your socioeconomic group. I suppose genetics can come into it though and a lot of the time if parents are aware of this they will keep an eye on things with a child but sometimes there is no history of mental illness in the family.

I suppose school bullying is one that needs to be tackled in relation to early intervention and making society mentally healthier. I liked the comment the man had made on the page about education in schools about mental health issues but I would include schizophrenia and related illnesses as they are the most misunderstood. Obviously stigma removal is important in improving mental health in society.

F

firemonkee57

More questions.

Questions
How can we ensure that parity of esteem
between mental and physical health is achieved?
How do we guarantee that mental health
receives its fair share of funding?

Given that half of all mental health problems
begin by the age of 14, what steps should be
taken to improve early intervention in mental
health?
What other measures can be taken to transform
our current mental health system from one
driven by crisis to one focussed on prevention?

F

firemonkee57

Have posted there in my somewhat ham fisted way. Still mostly seems to be health professionals posting. The voice of the patient/service user is largely missing. I would hate to see Labour's mental health policy driven almost exclusively by health professionals.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

That's a massive 'ask'.

Parity of esteem between mental and physical health? Physical health is easier to alleviate. It depends on physical interventions and appropriate drugs.

Obviously the root causes of mental illness are often related to traumatic experiences. Also there will be a direct link with poverty.
Exactly. So is any government of any hue going to invest money in trying to solve this problem? Nope.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes, but all you can do is put your suggestions forward and hope they listen. At least you can say you've tried.
It isn't a vote winner, that's the problem.
I watched a programme last night about this and it showed how young people were failed by the current system. Parents have to travel hundreds of miles to see their children in hospital. And care in hospital is negligent. These are two areas I would like to see change. There are a lot of questions on the form to answer, though. Prevention is very complex as you there are so many reasons for the development of mental health problems. Actual mental health care is just as important though and NHS funding should be better. Teaching real empathy to nurses also involves ending the stigma of mental illness as this affects their attitude towards their patients and awareness of suicide risks to patients is important. Research into funding into better and safer drugs? I'm not sure how much of this is covered in the questions. Children are already educated about LGBTQ issues. Ethnic group is relevant too regarding diagnosis and to poverty. Equality courses for psychiatrists to try and eliminate bias and make sure they see the whole person. This is not considered here. Stigma removal is always important.

How much of this is implemented depends on whether Labour wins the next election, though, unless they can convince the government to take it on. The Tories are not known for empathy so it's not likely.