• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

mental health records: privacy

L

law321

Good evening, a little over 1 year ago I met with a psychiatrist because I was feeling down and a bit depressed. At the time I did not have health insurance and paid cash for the visit. Does anyone know if this appt can be found in a government or military medical background check anywhere? Or would this appt only be kept only by the Doctors office and thus private. Of course I would prefer not disclosing this appointment if I can avoid it. Thank you very much for any insight you may have-

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
law - are you in the UK? If so all such records would most certainly be subject to the Data Protection Act. You could contact your local CAB for more specific advice, although others here may also be more expert :).

Nick.

D

Dollit

If you're in the UK and you have a background check for a government job or an application for the military or the police/fire service etc you are obliged to disclose your medical background. You actually sign papers giving them permission to look into your medical background. I've just been through a check with police (the same as a warranted officer would have) and my health background wasn't considered a problem even though it quite seriously affects my day to day life at times.