• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental Health Records? can I ask for them?

B

BAGGPUSS

I have been thinking about this for a while.

In the UK are we allowed to ask for a copy of our Mental Health Records/File?

and if so, do we get a watered down version of what they want us to see, or are they honest.

I am quite paranoid and always wonder they are slagging me off between doctors and cpns.

dont you just hate it when you see a Pschyciatrist with a CPN and at the end they ask you too leave the room so they can have a chat about you while your not their.

Pretty Bloody Paranoid provoking I think :shrug:

Sorry I missed a word out in the tittle, Meds Hey!:meanie:

porkpie

porkpie

You can get access to the files / documents your Psychiatrist sends to your GP pretty easily and that has Psychiatric reports in it but to read the actual folder the Psychiatrist holds on you is difficult.

B

BAGGPUSS

Thanks Cpu and Porkpie.

Well I did not think it would be simples, nothing is.

thanks

Gibson91

Gibson91

Hi Bagpuss, yes you can apply for copies and they're supposed to release everything unless its likely to cause you or someone else harm. This is a good guide on how to obtain copies of your records:

file:///C:/Users/Rosalind/Downloads/Access%20To%20Health%20Records%20Factsheet.pdf

Or here:

Access to Health Records

Hope this helps xx

B

BAGGPUSS

Hi Bagpuss, yes you can apply for copies and they're supposed to release everything unless its likely to cause you or someone else harm. This is a good guide on how to obtain copies of your records:

file:///C:/Users/Rosalind/Downloads/Access%20To%20Health%20Records%20Factsheet.pdf

Or here:

www.rethink.org/resources/a/access-to-health-records-factsheet+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk]Access to Health Records[/url]

Hope this helps xx
Aww thank you Gibson that really helpfull I will go and read now. :hug5:

B

BAGGPUSS

Gibson that is just the ticket, wow brilliant thanks again :)

So we can ask for them. :rolleyes:

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Yes you can. I asked for mine beginning of last year cos was really cross/upset with cmht at the time, didnt trust them. - felt they didnt listen to anything i said. Think is your nhs trust you have to ask. If you want me to will check where i asked cos cant remember now - they photocopied everything in my file as far as i am aware and i got it all by post. Did make me feel bit better in some ways cos i could see psych had written down what i said - although is very hard to read them - think can make you crosser.

B

BAGGPUSS

Yes you can. I asked for mine beginning of last year cos was really cross/upset with cmht at the time, didnt trust them. - felt they didnt listen to anything i said. Think is your nhs trust you have to ask. If you want me to will check where i asked cos cant remember now - they photocopied everything in my file as far as i am aware and i got it all by post. Did make me feel bit better in some ways cos i could see psych had written down what i said - although is very hard to read them - think can make you crosser.
Thanks no-one, glad you managed to get a copy of your Records, I think I want to read myn just to make sure they are not slagging me off and making things up.

My Social Worker comes next week so now everyone on here has let me know I can ask for them, hopefully I wont be fobbed off.

cheers for everyones help just one more time

Gibson91

Gibson91

Gibson that is just the ticket, wow brilliant thanks again :)

So we can ask for them. :rolleyes:
Aww thanks Bagpuss, you're welcome xx :hug: If you go to your health board's website they should have details of where specifically to write to, and the fee. Its supposed to take 40 days max. If there's anything omitted you can challenge it through The Information Commissioner.

Beware though Bagpuss, they can make pretty upsetting reading sometimes - not for the faint hearted! Make sure you're not at a really low point and have support / someone to vent to! :hug: I hit the roof when I read mine! :eek2: Then discovered [here] its not uncommon to have "dodgy" records. I was "worrrever" after that :innocent:

B

BAGGPUSS

Aww thanks Bagpuss, you're wlecome xx :hug: If you go to your health board's website they should have details of where specifically to write to, and the fee. Its supposed to take 40 days max. If there's anything omitted you can challenge it through The Information Commissioner.

Beware though Bagpuss, they can make pretty upsetting reading sometimes - not for the faint hearted! Make sure you're not at a really low point and have support / someone to vent to! :hug: I hit the roof when I read mine! Then discovered [here] its not uncommon to have "dodgy" records. I was "worrrever" after that :innocent:
Hey Gibson thanks, sorry they upsett you when you read your records, but its good to know what they are saying/said at the same time, I read that link you gave me and it was super helpfull. X

maybe I could disconnect my phone line and lock myself in a foam room when I come to read my Records. :D

Let me out in a few days Mum. :LOL:

brilliant thank you. Xx

W

wellness

I would say its best not to be too bothered about these psych reports ... a lot of it is what they document you doing when not too well so it does not make for very pleasant reading and may just cause you to get too upset over it and boil over ... so be careful what you ask for ... also they cannot release or circulate these records without YOUR consent !! unless mandated by a legal order ... so you will notice they always ask for your consent to access other records on you and the such ...
HTH
Cheerio !!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Information On Hearing Voices 1