Mental Health in Glasgow

J

jonesy

hi jim, im jan and have been coping ALONE with my husbands mental health problems, for thirty years, we have been together since 14, we are both 45 now and i have had little support from mental health agencies in glasgow, im really getting exhausted and angry now, he has been hospitalised in the 90's when he thought the world was goin to end and was self harming and suicidal, he has had depression, personality disorder, anxiety all his adult life and no one knows the half of what i go throught, in fact no one really wants to talk about it, l left him for a few months ten years ago when i felf i couldnt cope anymore but i love him dearly and my daughters were upset so i went home, my husband takes his anti depressants and tranquillisers but he wont take anti physcotics, he hasnt been out for a year, is refusing to wash, his teeth are black and his hair is long and matted, he has smashed up the house on numerous occasions, he thought for years i was having a secret life which of course was not true, wish i did have a bloody secret life! he had his first heart attack at 35 and another 2 years ago so he has to take around 13-15 tablets a day so he is used to taking medication but the problems never go away, i could write a feckin book about it but you get the picture i suppose, jan...

D

DELATEXT

I am so sorry to hear of your plight, does your husband have a cpn, if not ask your doctor to get him one, contact samh 0141 945 4085 or social work north 0141 276 4700 , samh can provide lots of help and support, you need respite hopefully social work can help , also call the princeess royal trust for carers 0141 285 7927
hope this helps, if I can do any thing else please let us know ?

Christopher

Christopher

Hello all.

I'm a Glaswegian Type I Bipolar. Hi! Been stable now for a year or so but always waiting for the other shoe to drop... I hate the medication, but I take it for the sake of my family - if I didn't have my daughter I don't think I would.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Just had a quick look, do they help with advocacy dela. I'm starting to panic about this government and my incapacity benefit. I should get dla too but I don't claim it because I couldn't cope with the hassles of going through the assessments but it looks like its going to get just as difficult for incapacity.

delatext

delatext

they may these folk do http://www.advocacymatters.org.uk/
they are good , as regards the wca test, IB50 & Atos you're better seeing a welfare rights officer @ citizens advice, or @ the council, some housing associations have them to, the welfare rights will help you through it, also make sure you go to any medical by taxi and always take someone with you i.e a support worker if you've got one or an advocate, if you need further help just ask me and I'll try to help

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Thanks dela, its not happened yet, I sent a letter away from my gp a few months ago where she said I was agoraphobic and had severe anxiety but the horror stories I'm hearing this may not be enough!!

delatext

delatext

Atos are total bastards, the "medical" is a witch hunt , most folk have to appeal , have you any support services who can aid you ?
if not contact Advocacy matters and Welfare rights to aid you , see benefits and work, disability alliance websites the are good for information
PM if you need help with any of this

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I've got no support at all, never have!! I've got a psychiatrist who is useless and I haven't seen since before Christmas and I was given cbt for a couple of weeks before the cpn decided I wasn't interested or ready for it!! I'll pm you when it comes up, I'm thinking it won't be long but then maybe I'm panicking for nothing!! It has been known!!

A

agnew7

Living with five adults, that are related to me. I have a sister that is 29 years old ( A) and another sister that is 27 years old (T). I also stay with my mum and dad. I am 22 years old ( Paul). The reason that I have come for help is that I can’t stand living with my sister ( A). I have also said to the other family members about her behaviour. I will tell you what she is like… Me and my family try to start a normal conversation with her , like “ how was your day been”? She always replies in a hostility way, like “don’t talk to me” , sometimes in a high tone of voice. She comes across as very angry and as mood swings. We do not provoke her in anyway with the violence’s. If someone says a negative comment to her, she takes it to heart and cries in her bedroom, we try and talk to her and see if we can help her in anyway, but we get negative replies all the time like the above. If we say to her that she as to move an item, she storms in a mood and comes violent. I have noticed that she is a shopaholic. She buys things that she does not even use! She does it for the sake of buying something. My mum and dad said when I was little she will grow out of it, but My Mum and Dad cannot handle her and my other sister feels the same way. It is unlivable to deal with her now. We said to her to move out because she is 29 years old god sake, but that is not an option because she as no money to get a place on her own.She tells us that she hates every single one of us now. please help

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CreativeChris

Living with five adults, that are related to me. I have a sister that is 29 years old ( A) and another sister that is 27 years old (T). I also stay with my mum and dad. I am 22 years old ( P). The reason that I have come for help is that I can’t stand living with my sister ( A). I have also said to the other family members about her behaviour. I will tell you what she is like… Me and my family try to start a normal conversation with her , like “ how was your day been”? She always replies in a hostility way, like “don’t talk to me” , sometimes in a high tone of voice. She comes across as very angry and as mood swings. We do not provoke her in anyway with the violence’s. If someone says a negative comment to her, she takes it to heart and cries in her bedroom, we try and talk to her and see if we can help her in anyway, but we get negative replies all the time like the above. If we say to her that she as to move an item, she storms in a mood and comes violent. I have noticed that she is a shopaholic. She buys things that she does not even use! She does it for the sake of buying something. My mum and dad said when I was little she will grow out of it, but My Mum and Dad cannot handle her and my other sister feels the same way. It is unlivable to deal with her now. We said to her to move out because she is 29 years old god sake, but that is not an option because she as no money to get a place on her own.She tells us that she hates every single one of us now. please help
Are you expressing your concern in terms of your sister having mental health issues, or concern with the family dynamics in general?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

agnew7

Are you expressing your concern in terms of your sister having mental health issues, or concern with the family dynamics in general?
I think a bit of both. Because it is, my families’ fault not dealing with the problem earlier and I am concerned with my sister’s behaviour also. Its really stressful dealing with her when she takes mood swings. thank you on the reply

C

CreativeChris

From personal experience of having mood swings, there's no "one" way to deal with the situation. One tip is to never assume or pretend to have an understanding if you don't have one. Always be completely honest with yourself and your family.

Your sister sounds troubled from what you've expressed on here. I can't advise you on your sister, as it's really for her to discuss her own thoughts.

W

wkdwon

I live in Renfrewshire. I think its difficult to admit that we have mental health issues due to the fact that people still sweep issues under the carpet and don't socially accept it. I have 2 good friends that have been on meds for years and no-one who guess they had mental health problems. But when i was diagnoised with Bi-polar last September I found it extremely difficult to accept. I am still in denial even though i tick most boxes for this illness. I resent the Dr because i went for help after finding my boyfriends mum dead and 3 months later he was dead too. Even though I'd been through worse tragedies over the years and came through it, i struggled to cope with this. I refused medication as i felt for me this was not the answer. I wanted to talk through my issues. So while i broke down and poured my heart out and struggled daily, the medical team cast all the things i told them to the side because they were too busy trying to label me. Anyone with Bi-polar will know that it takes a life changing event to bring this illness to the surface. But ive been this way for 20 years. Angry and aggitated and very vocal at times. I also signed on the sick and attended a medical only to be turned down and told i was fit for work even after handing in sick lines. I fought for 10 months against the decision and won my appeal. But ive isolated myself from people and stay homebusying myself with arts and crafts and singing. Both of which unknown to me till i later researched are a great self help for this illness. I still today do not tell people i have a mental illness until now. On here. I looked on these sites for months and realised im not alone. So im very sure quite a lot of people have done the same and have found it very helpful.

C

CreativeChris

I'm a closed book again too, I don't want to be around other people. They all just start to become narrow minded sheep with no real perspective of life, and I don't want to extend the hand of friendship to those individuals.

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi

I'm a closed book again too, I don't want to be around other people. They all just start to become narrow minded sheep with no real perspective of life, and I don't want to extend the hand of friendship to those individuals.
Hi there, It has been quite a while since i've been on the site and just want to say hello to everyone. Have stuggled over the last few years with the usual mental health issues but managed to' put on a face' which has become increasingly difficult lately. Its good to know that this forum is still around which helps remind us that we're not alone and we have each other for support. Its a comfort that I appreciate, thanks!:)

Valve

Valve

I thought I would post in here to see if there are any local users currently around on the board. Hello to all :D

J

jimindigo

Hi Valve,
Another Glaswegian here,difficult to get hold of any.

Valve

Valve

Greetings jimindigo :) Thanks for replying, nice to see a fellow local person on the board.
I've been looking into local support groups. I'm hoping to attend some of the depression and anxiety groups that run here, to help with feeling less isolated.
Have you ever been along to any support groups or the like in Glasgow?