Mental Health in Glasgow

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Yakuza, nice to hear from you, yes the CBT's going fine, its still a work in progress and I do feel overwhelmed by it at times, but I have a more positive outlook than I did before I started, so it is helping.:)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Roxy,

Glad to hear that you are so positive about it (y)

I was in Glasgow in november and what a fantastic place to visit.
I would recommend a trip to anyone who has the opportunity,the amount shops is unbelievable!

This link provides some useful information for people living in and around the city:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Care_Support/MentalHealth/

Best wishes :)

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Yakuza, pleased to hear you enjoyed visiting our fair city, it does get negative press at times, such as last nights awful behaviour in Manchester, but that's just a mindless minority and on the whole we're a very friendly bunch.

Although the CBT is very worthwhile, there are still days when the low mood still persists, I think I've got to accept that this condition is now part of me and must learn to cope with it, as my therapist says, 'self acceptance' is the key to moving on, she could be right.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling well and enjoying the lovely weather we've been having up here recently, a bit of sunshine cheers us all up!:)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Roxy,

Yes it was a tiny minority,I don't think the tv pictures tell the whole story but it will come out in the end.
Good luck with CBT Roxy,I know there can be 'lows' but hopefully the therapist will be discussing this with you and finding ways of coping with it.

Have a good day and take care :hug:

A

AbzWayne

ROXY.... :clap:

Wake up, tell us all how the CBT stuff went, by now you should be "Putt Putt Putting along nicely" :evil:

I found the only way to sort myself out enough was "Self Acceptance", and on the whole it has worked out nicely, the main obstacle for me was motivation, so I hope you found that and found a way to enjoy something.
:grouphug:

Hope to hear back fae ye.

PS: on a dafter note, I just LOVE that GroupHug Avatar :love:

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi AbzWayne

Thanks for asking, CBT is just about finishing up after approx 2 yrs. There have been many positive benefits, although I also had some difficult moments when I wasn't up to the constant scrutiny of my moods etc., which you have to be when you take on this type of therapy, it is hard work at times but worthwhile.

I'm pleased to hear your coping well and have found the motivation to accept yourself. That also can be quite 'heavy going', depending on what type of condition/background, you're coming from. However I do agree it would be a great goal to strive for, although not realistic for everybody it would help to ease many mh issues.

Take care(y)

D

DELATEXT

Hi there

Just signed up recently and am surprised that nobody in the Glasgow area
seems to suffer from poor mental health, or are they just too embarrassed
to admit it? Come on you fellow glaswegians, be loud and proud, and help to eliminate the stigma that surrounds this condition.
Hi, I'm from Glasgow & have posted three threads about my suitation; hope you read them, glad to hear your opinions etc?? :grouphug:

S

shywolf

hello im from hamilton in scotland any fellow lanarkshire people on forum il ike wrestling and most types of rock and metal music:tea:

I

ilovetechno

hey!!

heya, im new to this but live in glasgow! i have strugged with bipolar since i was 12 and have recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder also... hoping to find some ppl 2 chat to now and again for advice coz iv really been struggling recently and had to quit college :( this is the 3rd tme ive had 2 quit further education... ugh! feel like such a failure!!

any advice welcomed, feelin abit lost...

cheers :)

B

beansprout100

Mental health stigma

Hi there

Just signed up recently and am surprised that nobody in the Glasgow area
seems to suffer from poor mental health, or are they just too embarrassed
to admit it? Come on you fellow glaswegians, be loud and proud, and help to eliminate the stigma that surrounds this condition.
Hi there Jim,I live in Glasgow and although I am not a sufferer myself, I have lived for over thirty years with someone who is.She's been in Monklands psychiatric unit,Parkhead and as we now live in the south side she is rapidly heading for Leverndale..if it's still open.You mention the stigma of mental illness.Been there ,done that, ate the t-shirt.I've lost jobs, houses, every penny I've ever had and all...and I mean all of my friends..who were decent enough people but in the end just couldn't cope with the madness.You know the kind of thing.My wife tried to burn the house down,accused me of assault after she'd tried to kill me.So, cops at the door, ambulances to take her away and on,and on, and on.If you are a sufferer, and I assume that you are then let me suggest a way in which we could all go some way to help to remove that very stigma.How about finding a way to get the mentally ill to take their tablets?The theory goes something like this.You become mentally ill
you go to the doctor/psychiatrist they in turn prescribe anti depressants or whatever, you take the tablets,three to six months later you feel o.k..Stigma gone and everybody down the pub.Sound good?Then what's the problem? Because a good number of very reputable surveys have shown that less than thirty per cent of the mentally ill who are prescribed medication actually take it.Why?Got any ideas?They will try acupuncture, thought field therapy,seeking their inner child,hypno-analysis,psychoanalysis,retro-analysis,
counselling,cognitive therapy,booze, drugs,food binges and anything else I've left out.But will they take the tablets that were twenty years in the making and another ten in trials?No!And do you know why...because I've had thirty years to ponder this and I don't.Perhaps before I go any futher some of you"sufferers" could explain that to me.

Let me know...Lawrie

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Sometimes its because the side effects are a nightmare, I was one of the people who were put on Seroquel and ended up trying to kill myself 3 times yet I was still told it would work. Other times the tablets just don't work, its all trial and error and if after your anti d hasn't worked and its been changed 10 times ~I don't blame people for just giving up on it!! I personally do take mine now but there have been times I've given up on it. Oh, welcome to the forum!! You'll probably get more answers if you post on the main forum because not many people go into the Scottish one.

D

DELATEXT

Glasgow forum

It would be wonderful to have a local glasgow forum ??
How do we set it up ??
I am not sure but i see others seem keen on the idea ???:salut::salut:

D

DELATEXT

Hi, there is a glasgow forum, under local forms please check it out I have been trying to encourage people to post ??
hope people will as there are many suffers in glasgow ??

Delatext

J

jollyroger

Hi....just new to the forum..... Im from Lanarkshire. Never done anything with this anxiety and now feel I need to act, but really dont know where to strt, suppose the docs is a good place.

D

DELATEXT

the doctor is the first port of call, try to relate as best you can how you are affected etc, also the mental health charities like Samh, Richmond fellowship can help and advise

J

jonesy

im new to this forum, have been coping alone with my husbands mental health problems for 30 years, we are both 45 and have been together since we were 14, and am really disappointed with the services in glasgow, we went to shawpark st clinic last december and the OT said she would arrange anger managment counselling still havent heard back from them, he is particularly bad at the moment, and he also suffers from a serious heart condition and has to take 13 tablets a day and he is currently feeling suicidal, he hasnt been out for a year has stopped washing, his teeth are black and has refused to cut his hair for years, and he is ranting on constantly about the tories cuts and having to go throught tests for benefits, and yet i have saved the nhs thousands by looking after my husband 24/7 and i dont claim attendance allowance, but if you are on benefits these days you are lablelled as as scrounger or dole scum so it doesnt encourage you to claim benefit even if you are entiltled to it, am totally exhausted, he is sleeping just now cos i made him take a diazepam, so a couple of hours peace!