Mental Health First Aid

McMurphy's Ghost

McMurphy's Ghost

Mental Health First Aid

I've seen this being promoted a lot at the moment and as one would expect everything I can find about it is deeply uncritical and universally accepting that it is "a good thing".

This is typical.

Having a mental-health first aid training program in place can really help people identify issues and help people get the support and services they need so that we can prevent someone from going undiagnosed or unidentified.”
People being identified and more people getting a diagnosis seems like a bad outcome to me. More people having their life challenges medicalised by the general public doesn't sound good to me at all.

Has anyone come across any more critical analysis of Mental Health First Aid?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Sounds to me like a flip chart support.

EG Do you have thoughts of death? Are these persistent? Are you about to commit suicide? Are there voices urging you to do this? Are they loud or quiet? As a result of the answers you have given we think you have schizoaffective disorder and about to commit suicide, so an ambulance will be with you within minutes and whisk you off to the nearest psych unit. Do not resist this it is for your own good.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Oh and it is probably cheap. I just know that if psychiatric services say it is to identify anyone with a problem, what they really mean is that they will trying to push away people who really do need help to keep the numbers of those referred down.

I am being very cynical these days .........

Last edited:
speckles

speckles

They don't have treatment for the people already identified that they know about so why identify some more?!

I personally think that the most vulnerable suffering with mental health problems do come to the attention of professionals, they just don,t provide the treatment, of course like any illnesses some will fall through the net but since the net they catch them in has no netting it seems little point in identifying people further. Surely also identifying people perhaps start to produce self fulfilling prophecy an in normalisalising appropriate responses, I mean if you lose your job and can't get another it is normal to feel bad and depressed and for it to lead to questioning where your identity lies, this doesn't mean that they have a mental health problem necessarily, (not that I am saying people shouldn't be supported or helped and sometimes it is not a trigger for something much more serious) but perhaps sometimes we should say it is normal that you feel these things. Often people in time can work through this and adapt their thinking appropriately, it doesn't always need to be medicalised in any way.

speckles

speckles

I know I have great new idea to pioneer mental health treatment, why don't we send a questionnaire for people to do through the post, rather like we send poo sample kits out ( which do work incidentally for bowel cancer ) and then people could return their questionnaire for assessment by some lowly paid workers who count up tick boxes and provide diagnosis on the basis of dsm v then we could send an leaflet with a self help website and the Samaritans number for everyone to ring when they realise they have been diagnosed with a PD which of course the majority of the population would. :doh: One day one day common sense will surely reign?