• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental Health Day: 10th Oct

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Just a quick query - isn't it Mental Health Day on the 10th Oct in England? Does anyone have any plans or know of things happening in the locality????

Just a thought - seems very quiet - I've not seen anytrhing organised here.

Cheers, Honey

W

White Dragon

Something called 'stuff stigma' was at my college last week. They had a living library with books on mental health.

F

finetime

SORRY NO DIDNT EVEN NOW THERE WAS A Mental Health Day: 10th Oct WELL NOT HERE IN HUDS AL HAVE MY OWN PARTY IN TOWN THEN ON THE DAY IF AM OK

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hmmm - had a look on the Mind website and can't see anything - maybe I'm making things up! It is however 'let's get moving' week promoting physical activity as a positive step against mental illness.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
No you are not making things up honey!!!!!!!!!

WMHD is on the 10th October every year.

The big event in Birmingham will be the annual Mental Health Celebration which is held in the City Centre on the nearest Saturday (this year 11th October) - details are on the Birmingham Forum for anyone interested.

But there should be something in every city and every MHT should be organising events - if they are not it is a bloody disgrace frankly :mad:.

This is the sort of reason why people need to get involved in User Forums/LINks whatever - to get these Trusts off their backsides and doing something.

:rolleyes: - back and mad as hell.

Nick.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Good to hear you again Nick!

Thanks for confirming that I'm not 'loosing' my mind, LOL, it just feels like there's no mental health day up here in 't' north because of the lack of events. I may be wrong but I haven't heard of anything going ahead up here. Even if I am wrong then that's still pretty poor publicity. I will have a look around!

Rather dissapointingly when I was told it was WMHD and I said that we really should do something about it the other person went very quiet!

Oh well, there's always next year (though I'm not giving up just yet)...

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Thanks honey :).

And yes that's often the way of it when you suggest something :rolleyes:.

What really disappoints me about this is that more MHTs are not doing more. I mean if Councils or other public bodies do stuff that is great but the primary responsibility seems to me to lie with Mental Health Trusts.

Incidentally I think there is something on Woman's Hour (Radio 4 10.00) tomorrow on mental health and stigma which may be the BBC's contribution. Don't quote me on that though. But there is certainly a bit on the Woman's Hour webs-site where you can send in your experiences of stigma (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/

Nick.

D

Dollit

I did an interview for WMHD last year which was supposed to highlight stigma and discrimination and it ended up with me being written about in a very poor light that could have damaged things for me quite badly. I got so upset about it - I haven't done any more media work in relation to mental health since. There will be the usual stall in the shopping centre that won't get much attention but no one does anything. Can't have the lunatics taking over the asylum can we? >_<

Last edited:
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Sorry to hear about that Dollit - you were courageous to try though.

Nick.

D

Dollit

I was a media speaker on various subjects (still do it actually from time to time) for years but the mental health stuff is the most variable. The Times/Sunday Times treat you with deference and respect and the research is impeccable - definitely interviewee led. The local papers are generally bad - newly qualified journos who have no science background and don't really listen to the story that's being told, too busy writing the story they want. It left me in a bad space. I have said I may go back at sometime but then again I may not.