• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mental health care, Hard pill to swallow

W

Wilsonwilson

Hi, my first post here

Recovering from a traumatic experience that was self inflicted due to classic delusions.

I was sectioned.
Before my appeal they removed my section.
The hospital was itself traumatic being locked up without hope of release.
They did nothing to care for me, no cbt, no talk therapy, no exercise facility, very little contact with a psychiatrist and that was always in front of a whole panel, which was very intimidating, just an interrogation really, where I was not comfortable to discuss anything that might be beneficial.
They spent lots of time convincing me to take meds even though I had no symptoms to speak of.
It's two months later and the meds made me feel like a zombie. They also have severe long term side effects and I believe these meds are really a last resort for people who could otherwise have no quality of life and shouldn't be prescribed so readily.
Now I feel I suffer with anxiety and depression as a result of my overall experience.
Still no talk therapy or physcotherapy has taken place. The one thing I am grateful for is a weekly catch up with a carer who is not there to give therapy.

Is this how everyone in this country is treated? Given dangerous meds and a fifteen minute med review slot every two months?
It feels personally like a person with mental health issues is punished instead of treated.

C

Constantine

"It feels personally like a person with mental health issues is punished instead of treated."

Yup, in this country too! The good ol' U S of A!!!

JessisMe

JessisMe

Especially when you consider the resources, financial and otherwise, that go into treating people with mental illness you’d think patients would experience something more resembling care.

W

Wilsonwilson

Sorry to hear you guys have had a similar experiences, hopefully one day quality of care will improve for all

B

Black Despondency

I have been rather surprised that I haven't been hospitalized with the various things I have told to my psychologists and psychiatrists I have had. I probably should have been hospitalized years ago, but that might have just exacerbated my problems, but it might have kept me from having a couple trips to the emergency room... I can't imagine being stuck hospitalized, but during medication changes it might help.

L

Lizaje

That's just another one of those traumas I should deal with. I guess it's kind of difficult to talk to one mental health professional about how another of the same kind (+dozen) ****** up my head and if I stop to think about it I just want to literally scream. I want to tell about the horror, but I'm afraid I can't explain it. (not UK or US)

EddieH

EddieH

Sorry you're having such a bad experience getting help Wilson. Probably would be the same in the Country here.

Very hard to see a psychatrist in the city I usually have to wait 6 weeks to get an appointment. And he justs want to test pills on me like a lab rat. Hope things pick up for you.

Try some online Zoom groups and support. That is what i am trying this week. Bit hit and miss but worth a try.

C

Constantine

I'm heading back to inpatient tomorrow. It's supposed to be a nice place and running smoothly in spite of Covid. But of course you never know what your getting into until you stick your foot in and by then its way too late. But i have no choice really. Once a week for an hour doesn't help and that's if i could find a therapist to take me on right now when everyone is seeing a therapist. I guess i should be thankful folks are seeking help but it's still frustrating. Anyway, pray for me as i move forward. I'll be AWOL for a few months but will return with a vengeance and let you all know how it went.