Mental Health Awareness

K

khorse2011

Hi my name is Kayla and I have been affected by someone with Bipolar Disorder because my mom has suffered with Bipolar Disorder. Because of this mental illness I grew without a mom for much of my life and I didn't really like it. Until very recently I didn't know what Bipolar Disorder was and I didn't know there were different types of Bipolar Disorder; knowing this helped me understand what my mom was going through all those times she disappeared on us.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

arwilliams

Mental health awareness and the chemicalimbalance theory was actually started by the drug companies to generate public acceptance. Life expectancy has shown to have dropped with treatment. Frankly I think more people need to be aware not of the mental illnesses but instead the dangers of the drugs themselves.

spoon-racoon

spoon-racoon

Hi Kayla, I definitely think mental health awareness is important. My dad had bipolar and so do I, and learning about it was like lifting a veil from my understanding of him. This illness can make people act badly but I'm so glad that learning has allowed you to empathize with your mom. As for me, knowing that my dad's bipolar disorder contributed to his abusive nature makes me much more invested in my mental health. I'll do anything to keep myself from hurting people like that.