Mental health and messiness

J

JessL

I have bipolar 2, and am wondering if that contributes to my lifelong messiness. I've always been a slob with my surroundings to the point of dysfunction and hovel-like, though there are moments and hours where I can be very focused and accomplish a lot, and at work I can keep it decent as it's obligatory.
- I know this is a bipolar pattern of hypomania and mild depressive/anxiety stuck phases, perhaps also my self esteem issues joining in, but what I'm wondering is - are neurotypical people ever that messy, or is there basically always underlying mental health issues of some degree?

P

PsychoPrince

Are you depressed? Messiness can often be a sign of depression. You should see the state of my car lol.

O

OCDguy

You raise a very interesting question :) On reflection I would associate untydiness with disorganisation, and disorganisation perhaps with possible poor problem solving... I wonder if others' would agree with this...

schizolanza

schizolanza

I don't like tidying up. So in my room I don't make mess. I live in my room. But it's always tidy. Everything has a place so when I need something, I know exactly where it is. My room looks the same from one week to the next.
But it needs stripping and painting and I haven't dusted in like a year

schizolanza

schizolanza

My ashtray in the kitchen is a disgrace.

O

OCDguy

Lol, that sounds a bit like my life style. I don'the have ash trays though as I have never smoked.

schizolanza

schizolanza

I have packets of guitar strings in a rack on the wall all organised...

O

OCDguy

Out of interest how would you describe your coping skills :)

megirl

megirl

I when I'm unwell obsessively have everything clean then keep doing the same thing over and over ...
The messiness could be a sign of disorganisation.? Then lack of motivation is usually a symptom of depression

TheRoc67

TheRoc67

I sort of can relate. when I'm down, I don't take care of my personal hygiene. long periods of time go by before showers. I literally have to force myself to bath and brush my teeth sometimes. it's a chore. I tell myself it will pass and that the smell of aromatherapy soap would help. as far as messiness, yeah, I let the kitchen get out of control sometimes.

O

OCDguy

If it helps I would totally agree that everything can go out of the window when depressed...

L

Lauriemarie1983

My house is always cluttered with mess, really brings me down but just can't seem to tackle it, think it's common to be like that, just remind myself I'm doing my best

P

Prince Charming

Hi JessL I have never thought of untidyiness as being a mental health issue but probably it could be with other symptons no doubt. We built an extentsion room for our daughter did she keep it tidy NO She does not suffer any mental illness and we love her to bits I fi.nd it very interesting what you have said😍😍😍

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I think how everyone copes with cleanliness differs. When I’m depressed I can sit on the sofa all day and not move. But normally I have to have the house tidy , I’d get really upset if someone came and I hadn’t cleaned , and I’m the same with my appearance I wouldn’t go out without make up on. But I do think that this is a MH issue going back to childhood when nothing was good enough for my mum and we had to be the perfect children. I think being overly tidy can be as much a sign of MH issues being messy.