• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental health and debt

P

purge

I am in a dilemma here. Personally I am a carer looking after my mother suffering from schizophrenia. Over the years she has produced a large amount of debt. I am now considering looking into Lasting Power of Attorney or the next one down where I act as Deputy in her affairs, if my mother relapses.

The problem is however that the consultants believe that the service user has the mental capacity to pay, which is fine if she was paying her debts, which she is not.

My mother will not sign any forms stating that someone (does not have to be me) can deal with the creditors on her behalf and is gaining further credit to increase her debt problem. I am powerless to talk to anyone about her accounts due to the data protection act.

I know these are not my debts, but what can I do? Let her end up in a hostel?

T

Twylight

I am under a ' court of protection ' which was initiated by my psychiatrist

All my money is held in an account which I have to ask permission to access

They pay my bills for me and I get a weekly amount - now and again if the money held builds up, I am allowed to purchase something.

P

purge

Sounds terrible,

I admit, its like people treating others like a child. However I am not sure what I can do. I guess I can see it from other's perspective where dubious people can take over someone's account and use it for dubious means, but I am confused how the mental health system can allow people to loose their assests so easily.

T

Twylight

I've been under it for 11 years and it works quite well

It's just like a savings bank

D

Dollit

People of all types build up huge debts - your mother's competency isn't about any illness she has rather than her as a person. You can have an illness and be really bad with money.

P

purge

You would have to show me some stats on those who cope with their money with mental illness against those who do not suffer such symptoms.

I am not sure if i had not mentioned this before, but my mother did fairly cope when she was on medication, before that she was fine with money and now off medication, its like everything has collasped.

T

Twylight

I don't have to worry about paying any of my bills and the more I can save on utilities - the more I have to spend ( with permission ).

D

Dollit

I don't think they keep such stats mainly because they'd be fairly meaningless.

Perhaps you should talk to the doctors who declared her competent.

T

Twylight

I'm schizophrenic, I need medication constantly - or i'm completely out of control

P

purge

I don't think they keep such stats mainly because they'd be fairly meaningless.

Perhaps you should talk to the doctors who declared her competent.
Yes, I have talked to them alright, but I get the same reply. Leave it to care in the community. The situation I feel at present is my mother's needs have not been assessed properly.

I am completely sure the illness has had an impact on her decision making.

T

Twylight

I've had to be hospitalised many times and I have complete trust in the Mental Health System

P

purge

Is your mother eating and sleeping OK
She is eating, although its mainly junk food. Not sure about her sleep since she is in the hospital at the moment. Sometimes I get a call from her 2 in the morning.

D

Dollit

Then ask for a review or get in touch with PALS and see if they can help. That's the most obvious route to take.