• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mental Health & Alcohol

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Let’s get serious :(

I am not an Alcoholic I just have a small drink here and there. I wish people would leave me alone, I’m not hurting anyone. Poor me pour me a drink. Are you having one? I will join you for one or two, maybe the whole bottle.
You never used to hit me. Good old Ted the man is a diamond do anything for anyone. Don’t hurt the kids Ted hurt me.

I am next week going to touch upon the subject of Alcoholism, and Mental Health. Two taboo subjects. I am an Alcoholic, and I have been sober five years now. I did medicate with Alcohol, to kill the symptoms of my mental illness. I do not use “AA” I have my own reason why I don’t. If you are using Alcohol and are having problems, now is the chance to bring them out in to the open. Perhaps you would like to join in the discussions, next week.

Eng65

M

Michael

Founding Member
Alcohol and Mental Health

Look Forward to listening/reading the discussion

Michael

E

Eng65

Founding Member
One ticket goes to Michael

One on board for the trip how many more takers are there? If you are having problems with Alcohol please come forward. It will be hard and it will hurt, but we understand. This is not going to be about blaming or shaming. Look forward to next week

Eng65

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I'm not a drinker , but am looking forward to reading the posts :)

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Welcome on board Fedup :welcome:

Another ticket for our journey with the Grim Reaper. On our journey we will discuss, explore debate.

1, Alcoholism & Mental Health attitudes & beliefs
2, The impact on family & friends, relationships
3, What's it like sitting on park benches having lost everything you love care about. Oh yes trips to the Police station or Hospital
4, Your choice live or die.
5, I need help i want help.
6, Getting help way to detox entry into Detox
7, Rehab nows your chance to bring up all those hidden secrets.
8 , Staying sober.
9 AA & Bills Big Book & the 12 steps to recovery.
10 Why i don't use AA

The Serenity Pryer AA

God grant me the SERENITY to
accept the things I cannot change;
COURAGE to change the things I can;
and WISDOM to know the difference.

Shout Shout let all out next week

Eng65

Last edited:
M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Count me in too - look forward to it

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Im not a drinker but was married to an alcoholic, so am looking forward to reading the comments:tea:

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Welcome on board daffy :welcome:

You said WAS married? I am still married but ARE not together because of Alcohol.
My experiences will come out next week. I hope this will prompt you to share yours

Regards,
Eng65

Last edited:
E

Eng65

Founding Member
OOPS. Your more than welcome to join in Mad Hatter :welcome:
Anymore takers? This is going to be interesting. As i have already said if you are having difficulties with Alcohol, come along and share. It will be difficult and painful, but i am here to give you the best advice i can. Once you admit to yourself, and others your journey has begun.

Eng65

E

Eng65

Founding Member
So your not an Alcoholic?

I have now started our trip into the miserable world of Alcoholism. & Mental Health.

It is no fun being an Alcoholic, each day you get through is one more day you have saved your life. My Alcohol dependency started, before I became unwell. I used Alcohol to numb the stress of my job as an Electronics Engineer. Me and the wife used to drink together, after our three kids were tucked up in bed, and asleep. We had no social life, because both sets of Grandparents could not be bothered about their grand children. My wife would not let an agency look after them, after she saw a documentary on the TV, so I drinking started at home. This would have been 1989. At the time we enjoyed the drink together, and our front room became our little social club. We did not have any friends, because of a bad experience with one some years earlier; no we kept our selves to ourselves. Most of my adult life, I experienced the throws of hypochondria. I would turn any little problem into a big one. I would worry, from having a bad cold to a spot on my foot. Drinking Alcohol gave me the release I was looking for. It took away my worries from work, and from being a hypochondriac. We did not really question our drinking at the time, because we enjoyed our bit of escapism. We were doing exactly as every one else does. What we did not really understand, or did not want to be us had both become Alcohol dependant. We needed our fix every night. This did impact on the kids, because by this time they knew what was going on. Even though you know you have a problem with Alcohol, you start to deny it. You do that because to accept the problem means you have to do something about it. My problems with Alcohol, and mental health and the chaos that followed started after the death of my mum in 1995. To be continued…

Is alcoholism a mental illness? If so does that make all addictions a mental illness? Is having an addictive nature mental illness? I could have co morbidity as a smoker and bipolar. In some ways I am maybe being flippant but actually I couldn’t be more earnest.

Severe mental illness and alcohol

At the more severe end of the spectrum, the co-existence of alcohol problems and mental ill-health is very common, and often referred to as “dual diagnosis”. The idea that people ‘self-medicate’ their mental health problems using alcohol is also very well known and documented. The basic premise is that the psychopharmacological properties of alcohol help individuals, deal with negative effects of mental ill-health by altering the chemistry of the brain, which in turn counters the negative feelings. The prevalence of alcohol dependence among people with psychiatric disorders is almost twice as high as in the general population. People with severe and enduring mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, are at least three times as likely to be alcohol dependant as the general population.

Be back soon look forward to your replies. perhaps could here from others about some of their life story? If there is, or was a relationship with Alcohol please come forward, and share your experiences.
Regards,
Eng65

Last edited:
daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Morning eng. I was interested in reading your story. My view tho is from the other side. Is your wife an alcoholic as well.

With regard to it being a mental health problem or a pre dispostion i think it can be both and just plain addiction thru missuse.

About a year ago there was a prog on TV showing parts of the brain of addicts(both drink and drugs) and it showed a nodule/shadow on the base of the brain. Tho i wasnt there in every case. Which to me would suggest that some people are born to become addicts.

My exs started after he witnessed his brothers horrific death at 16. His mum became addicted to valium and gin for 12 years but then got clean. But he just got gradually worse.

I will go into more detail another time but am looking forward (if thas the right word) to reading more of your journey.:tea:

Take care

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Thanks for your reply daffy, I will be back tomorrow. I will bear in mind what you wrote, and get back to you later today, Bed time now.
Eng65

M

Michael

Founding Member
Eng65 I can relate to the first section of your introduction so much that I need to go and think about it before I can respond.

Michael

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Daffy,

Yes my wife is an Alcoholic. And yes she still drinks, but she is not a problematic drunk I was. In 2000 at the height of our Alcohol problem, she became pregnant. To be honest and sincere, the pregnancy came at the came at the wrong time. She did want an abortion, then she found out she was carrying twins. The birth of our twins brought about further chaos, which was entirely our own fault. I am no longer with my wife, we are not divorced. I see our daughters regularly, and I am proud I can be there for them, and not being drunk.
We did nearly loose them. I will bring that up at another time.

Daffy you say your “ex” was it Alcohol that killed your marriage? Relationship Alcohol is definitely a pain killer, another reason it is so widely used. Is your ex still around? The abuse of Alcohol and prescribed drugs does run with some family, I believe especially if the family is a problematic one. When you feel ready please do share. Later on I will bring up about my time in rehab.

Regards,
Eng65

E

Eng65

Founding Member
Michael,

What i have written has impacted in some way on you in some way. You can relate to something I wrote?
I am wondering what it is you relate to, and weather you are ready to share what it is.
One thing I learned from being in Rehab was to be open about my problems, and not hold onto them. Holding onto them contributed to me feeling unwell, so I feel better for me expressing my feelings in this way. I understand how difficult it can be to bring things up from the past, because it reminds us. But I firmly believe honesty is the best policy. If it give release, then so be it. This is the only thing i use from AA. No you do not have to be an Alcoholic to use it.

The Serenity Prayer God grant me the SERENITY toaccept the things I cannot change; COURAGE to change the things I can; and WISDOM to know the difference.

Regards,
Eng65

Last edited: