Menstrual Anxiety

A

Amyp84

Hi All,
I think it’s one for the ladies but men you may be able to help too!
So I have suffered with menstrual anxiety for many years I am on sertraline which does help!
Still when the time of the month comes along BANG anxiety strikes! I have been keeping a diary and it’s the same time whenever I am due on! The rest of the month I am fine!
Does anyone else suffer with this? Has anyone got any self help tips they would kindly share?
I try to take it easy the time leading up to my period and for a few days after!
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much in advance x x

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I have major issues with anxiety and depression before my period strikes. Once I noticed the pattern that it was hormonal I started keeping a log of when my period would be. I know the dates I will be having issues and I try to keep that in mind when I feel like I am going downhill. I am easier on my self during that time and I will do nice things for myself.

B

BatDuck

I've noticed a similar pattern with my own menstrual cycle for the last 5 months, but rather than anxiety occuring in the lead up, it has been peaking in the days after the flow starting - when the hormones drop to their lowest. I too am on Sertraline, but haven't been on it long yet. I'm due my period in a week and it will be my first since starting meds. It will be interesting to see what happens this month, it's a bit scary though as I was completely consumed by anxiety after my last one which made me hit crisis point, its why I was started on Sertraline.
Trying to be kind to yourself, relax and find something you can get lost in for a while all help, even if just for a while.

A

Amyp84

Thanks ladies, it does seem quite common doesn’t it! Sertraline really helped ease the anxiety! It was terrible at the beginning of the year! It’s no where near as bad as it was but still likes to rear it’s ugly head monthly!
Been watching a film on YouTube about what the hormones actually do it’s really interesting.
It is hard to think it will go again once your in that mind set isn’t it!
X

F

Fancyharm

Yes I get it around my period. But I am perimenopause now and have been for 3 years. Now my periods are one every 3 months, but I just feel rubbish at times in between, and I wonder if it is when my period should be due.

When the bad moods get bad, I just say to myself to keep calm, don't be beaten. Also I just will myself to subconsciously remember any of the positive affirmations. It does usually work.but it takes practice. I say to myself that I have a choice and I can choose to be calm if I need to.

Hope this helps a bit. It is a difficult thing to manage and the feeling you described about will it ever go, or will one ever return to.normal is one of the worst feelings.

Thanks for posting, you have helped me. XxxX❤❤❤❤

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Hi All,
So I have suffered with menstrual anxiety for many years I am on sertraline which does help!
Still when the time of the month comes along BANG anxiety strikes! I have been keeping a diary and it’s the same time whenever I am due on! The rest of the month I am fine!
Does anyone else suffer with this? Has anyone got any self help tips they would kindly share?
I try to take it easy the time leading up to my period and for a few days after!
Anyone have any ideas?
Hi there,

This definitely sounds a lot like my experience. I'm on Sertraline too which has definitely helped for the most part, however mine might be having a bad effect when combined with my birth control pill, but I'm not too sure. I think the best thing we can do during that time of the month is to just practice self care as best we can and try to remember that the feeling of anxiety and depression will pass within the upcoming days. I can be fine 90% of the time, but every now and then I'll get my TOTM and end up hating my life. It's good that you've been able to recognise the pattern and just know that you're not alone <3 xx

A

Amyp84

Yes I get it around my period. But I am perimenopause now and have been for 3 years. Now my periods are one every 3 months, but I just feel rubbish at times in between, and I wonder if it is when my period should be due.

When the bad moods get bad, I just say to myself to keep calm, don't be beaten. Also I just will myself to subconsciously remember any of the positive affirmations. It does usually work.but it takes practice. I say to myself that I have a choice and I can choose to be calm if I need to.

Hope this helps a bit. It is a difficult thing to manage and the feeling you described about will it ever go, or will one ever return to.normal is one of the worst feelings.

Thanks for posting, you have helped me. XxxX❤❤❤❤
Thanks for your reply, it’s reassuring to know your not on your own isn’t it!
I had a nice warm bath last night and painted my nails I def felt a bit more at ease.
Going to get my pjs on and light some candles tonight ❤
We need to not be so hard on ourselves don’t we!
Thanks ladies x

A

Amyp84

Hi there,

This definitely sounds a lot like my experience. I'm on Sertraline too which has definitely helped for the most part, however mine might be having a bad effect when combined with my birth control pill, but I'm not too sure. I think the best thing we can do during that time of the month is to just practice self care as best we can and try to remember that the feeling of anxiety and depression will pass within the upcoming days. I can be fine 90% of the time, but every now and then I'll get my TOTM and end up hating my life. It's good that you've been able to recognise the pattern and just know that you're not alone <3 xx
I had a nice warm bath last night and painted my nails I def felt a bit more at ease.
Thanks ladies x

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Thanks ladies x
Excellent! Keep that postitive attitude and I'm sure you'll start to feel better in no time <3 Self care is so important and if we all practice it I'm sure we'll all be a lot happier in the long run :) xxx

S

savedbygrace2019

Hi All,
Anyone have any ideas?
Yes! I have PMDD and the zoloft has helped me tons... I have heard good things about seraphim (spelling?) from my sister who also has PMDD. Good luck!!!