• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Memory

T

TOONAFISH

I often will be speaking with friends and they will say remember you said *something or other* to someone, or my parents were talking to me about something we had agreed on 6 months ago and i dont have any recalection of it. It happens more now but has always been there. Is it anything to do with mental health or maybe just age (im 34). does anyone else get this and put it down to their bi polar??

:)

T

Twylight

I take Olanzapine for psychosis and this affects my memory

My sister has bipolar and recently chaged her meds from quetiapine to Olanzapine and immediately noticed problems with her memory

B

bluebell24

Hi toonafish,

my memory definitely has taken a battering in the last year whilst ill. Not sure how much is meds and how much is illness itself but sometime really struggled to remember anything from previous days. I'd realise sometimes that I'd sent emails or texted people and even when faced with the evidence would just not be able to remember doing it!

Even as I've started to get better it's not been great; I have to write everything down and while I was always quite a meticulous note-taker at work I'm much more reliant on this now. Tough at work as my job requires me to have answers on the tip of my tongue and to meet lots of deadlines.

It is improving though, but I just think my head can't contain quite everything it used to!

T

teddybear2067

me too lol

Yeah, I've always had memory problems. I have to write everything down RELIGIOUSLY, because I just forget. I cant even remember events of the previous evening...
Another thing is that Ive never been able to picture anything in my mind either. I dont remember faces (except when I see them physically, I know who people are), I don't see things that have happened, and I don't remember emotions. I'll know some things (e.g. when I was 14 I got a cat) but I can't picture me being 14, I can't see the cat in my mind's eye, I can't feel any emotions attached to the cat.
Anyone else have this problem?