Memory shot

B

bippie71

We all know that depression messes with your memory. Like this morning I had a pizza bagel with coffee (don't judge). But right after eating it, I forgot what I ate. I walked around trying to remember. Finally I gave in by looking in the trash at the wrapper.

Passwords, don't get me started. I get locked out of so many things, it's not even funny. I just give up on this whole password thing.

Can someone create unique internet passwords like Ssn.

Kerome

Kerome

Why don't you use a password manager like LastPass? That can generate strong passwords for you and remember them too.

B

bippie71

Why don't you use a password manager like LastPass? That can generate strong passwords for you and remember them too.
Let me guess, you need a password for this? I also heard storing all your password s in one place was not good. Or using the same one in variations. At this point, I'm ready to walk up to a hacker and French kiss my private information away.

Kerome

Kerome

Let me guess, you need a password for this? I also heard storing all your password s in one place was not good. Or using the same one in variations. At this point, I'm ready to walk up to a hacker and French kiss my private information away.
Yes, you need a password for the LastPass plugin, but you only need one. All the rest are stored in the password manager which is pretty secure because they know it's very valuable info. And then you can use the LastPass function for creating secure passwords so that you never use crap ones like 'password1'.

In the end a manager like this is a much better solution than using some set of passwords for all kinds of sites and not being able to remember them (although i don't trust internet banking info to them).

Last edited:
B

bippie71

Yes, you need a password for the LastPass plugin, but you only need one. All the rest are stored in the password manager which is pretty secure because they know it's very valuable info. And then you can use the LastPass function for creating secure passwords so that you never use crap ones like 'password1'.

In the end a manager like this is a much better solution than using some set of passwords for all kinds of sites and not being able to remember them (although i don't trust internet banking info to them).
Dang, now you know my password to this site. (Tee hee!)

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

pmsl you sound like me.

i have depression and memory issues too.

passwords are a fucking nightmare. Nightmare. I think the only solution is to keep an old fashioned notepad in your bag with them all written down, or a slip of paper hidden somewhere clever.

i also email my passwords to myself so i will send an email with (eg)

Password Skype (xxxx)

in the heading line. So then i can theoretically just search my email for the word Password and come up with them all.

It works, mostly. Give it a try.

B

bippie71

pmsl you sound like me.

i have depression and memory issues too.

passwords are a fucking nightmare. Nightmare. I think the only solution is to keep an old fashioned notepad in your bag with them all written down, or a slip of paper hidden somewhere clever.

i also email my passwords to myself so i will send an email with (eg)

Password Skype (xxxx)

in the heading line. So then i can theoretically just search my email for the word Password and come up with them all.

It works, mostly. Give it a try.
I do that BUT and there's always one. I forget and get locked out for trying to many times with the wrong password. Still can't get into my outlook account. Microsoft acts like they hold the keys to the pearly gates. They will not help me get my email account back.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I do that BUT and there's always one. I forget and get locked out for trying to many times with the wrong password. Still can't get into my outlook account. Microsoft acts like they hold the keys to the pearly gates. They will not help me get my email account back.
this is why i suggest a good old fashioned paper master list.

just like writing down your phone numbers, i do that now too.

B

bippie71

this is why i suggest a good old fashioned paper master list.

just like writing down your phone numbers, i do that now too.
I only know 2 numbers. Have since I was a child. My two aunts numbers. When rotary was the norm. I gave up with numbers years ago. How did I throw my hands up.... I don't have a phone.

I have google voice number. If I have an internet connection, I can call and get calls. But otherwise, I'm basically incommunicado.

But I do have a yearly planner. That I scribble in. Write reminders. One of my friends said I look like a mad old lady.

And the point being? :\

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I only know 2 numbers. Have since I was a child. My two aunts numbers. When rotary was the norm. I gave up with numbers years ago. How did I throw my hands up.... I don't have a phone.

I have google voice number. If I have an internet connection, I can call and get calls. But otherwise, I'm basically incommunicado.

But I do have a yearly planner. That I scribble in. Write reminders. One of my friends said I look like a mad old lady.

And the point being? :\
part of my recovery was to relearn how to use things like day planners and diaries.

i used to have a full on career then lost my mind so to speak and one of the symptoms was that Organised part of my brain died

i literally had to retrain it almost like id had a stroke or something.

had to buy a diary and make sure i kept it nearby, took it with me etc. even now i still forget it but its something i have to work at every day.

It has helped a lot, sort of freed up brain power. Instead of always worrying about what i was forgetting i could concentrate on getting well.

B

bippie71

part of my recovery was to relearn how to use things like day planners and diaries.

i used to have a full on career then lost my mind so to speak and one of the symptoms was that Organised part of my brain died

i literally had to retrain it almost like id had a stroke or something.

had to buy a diary and make sure i kept it nearby, took it with me etc. even now i still forget it but its something i have to work at every day.

It has helped a lot, sort of freed up brain power. Instead of always worrying about what i was forgetting i could concentrate on getting well.
Seems we've traveled the same road. I had a breakdown about 2 years ago. 2 weeks doing outpatient therapy. A month off work, then returned part time for a while but had to eventually quit. My brain snapped. I work part time now. But my job ends soon.

Creating anxiety looking for new work. with that anxiety my brain is cracking...know what I mean?

Last edited:
BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Seems we've traveled the same road. I had a breakdown about 2 years ago. 2 weeks doing outpatient therapy. A month off work, then returned part time for a while but had to eventually quit. My brain snapped. I work part time now. But my job ends soon.

Creating anxiety looked by for new and work. Youtube with that anxiety my brain is cracking...know what I mean?
yes i absolutely do.

I'm a lot better now but i was ill for a long time.

Ive had to accept that i will never do what i used to do, again.

B

bippie71

yes i absolutely do.

I'm a lot better now but i was ill for a long time.

Ive had to accept that i will never do what i used to do, again.
Same here. But how to explain at an interview. When I was assistant director of at one job and head of another at another job. But applying for staff jobs with little to know pressure or responsibility.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Same here. But how to explain at an interview. When I was assistant director of at one job and head of another at another job. But applying for staff jobs with little to know pressure or responsibility.
I don't even care. :shrug:

just say you've been sick. I had an underlying physical illness anyway so its not exactly being untruthful!

also I'm at the point where the government steps in and helps. I'm in an age group now *51 that is sort of viewed increasingly as, You Poor Old Dear.

So i have the first job thingy appointment ive had in 5 years nearly, soon :D and i expect ill be given all sorts of help

or at least an entry level job which is all i want anyway, i do not want a career again, I'm done, over it, lifes too bloody short to spend 40 hours a week with a bunch of ppl you don't even like!

I have a brilliant resume and could probably start work again tomorrow but i basically have PTSD of the Office LOL

oddly id quite like to be a hospital porter or something like that, id even waitress again.

as long as it was only for 15 hours a week...sweet :D

I have arthritis now too i never had before so i need something on my feet, even working in a shop or something. I'm almost looking forward to it.

Last edited:
B

bippie71

I don't even care. :shrug:

just say you've been sick. I had an underlying physical illness anyway so its not exactly being untruthful!

also I'm at the point where the government steps in and helps. I'm in an age group now *51 that is sort of viewed increasingly as, You Poor Old Dear.

So i have the first job thingy appointment ive had in 5 years nearly, soon :D and i expect ill be given all sorts of help

or at least an entry level job which is all i want anyway, i do not want a career again, I'm done, over it, lifes too bloody short to spend 40 hours a week with a bunch of ppl you don't even like!

I have a brilliant resume and could probably start work again tomorrow but i basically have PTSD of the Office LOL

oddly id quite like to be a hospital porter or something like that, id even waitress again.

as long as it was only for 15 hours a week...sweet :D

I have arthritis now too i never had before so i need something on my feet, even working in a shop or something. I'm almost looking forward to it.
I hear ya on the life's too short. Lol! Yep, I have PTSD of the office. Place gives me the hives. Unless I try to off myself, i get zero help. The disability set up for the U.S. and various states is tough.

Years ago, I had a friend who got temporarily disability. Then she was able to work part time. Ummmm, that's the disability company came back for the money. Messed up!

Basically, I'm just looking for something to tide me over. I've said it and will continue. I'm not going into my 50s. I'm not worrying about retirement money. I have no kids never married. Two old cats.

My exit will be a breeze. Just need some coins coming in over the next 5 years. That's it. My cats can't live forever. And they are on the upper side of 15.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BillHLovespoll Depression Forum 14
H Depression Forum 8