Memory Problems

D

Dystopia

First post so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, I'm a 16 year old male and for about the last six months my memory has gotten pretty bad. I'm not forgetting any memories, it's more like I can't make new ones. I'm getting new people I meets names mixed up and I can only name about 10% of main characters from the past year of TV I've watched (that's only first names), and I watch plenty of it. I can be at the final episode of a series and have no idea what the main characters first name is. This has made me lose interest in TV, what's the point in watching something I don't understand?
Strangely this only happens with things I hear(TV and conversations), I can read a story and remember it very accurately without effort. So can anybody point me in the direction of some information if possible please? I'm very socially awkward so I wont go to see a doctor unless I absolutely have to. Thanks in advance

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi Dystopia
welcome to the forum :welcome: I know you say you are socially awkward and so don't want to see a doctor
but I think it might be a really good idea if you could
xx
they might be able to offer you some advise on the memory problems you are experiencing
im really glad you have found the forum im sure you will meet lots of new friends here
love from
lucretia
xxxxxx

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hey and welcome to the forums Dystopia :welcome:

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

I dunno if it's the BP or the meds but it really affects my short term memory.

In addition, my short term memory can be really affected sometimes.

The old jokes are the best!

calypso

calypso

Admin
It all depends on severity. I cannot remember names at all and it can be really awkward when people come up to me after knowing them for months, and I am stumped about thier names! I think, personally, that it is stress related.

I am doing Mindfulness and when I started, and had to just sit and watch my mind, I was stunned at what a car crash is going on in there all the time! Basically, our minds are wandering non stop in all kinds of directions, so the mind selects the important stuff for us to remember, and chucks out the rest. Its the multiple thoughts whizzing that is the problem - and most of the time we just aren't even aware of it. That's why people feel that they "suddenly" become very ill. It isn't sudden, its that we are not paying attention - me included!

pentagram

pentagram

The only advice I can give you is what my PTSD therapist has been telling me about memory.

Memories (Ms) can be visual, words,smells,tastes,tactile sensations etc etc. This works because ALL our sensations are interpreted by our brains as sensory stimuli.

If a smell is there all the time, we stop smelling it because the brain decides it is not worth alerting you to it all the time.

Ms for everyone is incredibly unreliable. It is completely normal for 2 people who have witnessed the same event to recall it differently and each to be convinced they are right.

That's why eyewitness reports are often different, and not reliable.

Someone with bad experiences of priests (eg me) will see a picture of a priest and perceive them to be bad, seedy, dangerous, etcetc, where-as someone with good experiences will see them as kind, trustworthy etcetc. But what they actually see will be the same.

You have to ask yourself why you cannot remember peoples names for yourself.

I agree with calypso it HAS something to do with stress.

For me, I am often so anxious when meeting new people that I over-stress myself, then I dissociate, then even though I am standing in front of them my mind is not there and my brain does not properly register the names.

burt tomato

burt tomato

First post so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, I'm a 16 year old male and for about the last six months my memory has gotten pretty bad. I'm not forgetting any memories, it's more like I can't make new ones. I'm getting new people I meets names mixed up and I can only name about 10% of main characters from the past year of TV I've watched (that's only first names), and I watch plenty of it. I can be at the final episode of a series and have no idea what the main characters first name is. This has made me lose interest in TV, what's the point in watching something I don't understand?
Strangely this only happens with things I hear(TV and conversations), I can read a story and remember it very accurately without effort. So can anybody point me in the direction of some information if possible please? I'm very socially awkward so I wont go to see a doctor unless I absolutely have to. Thanks in advance
Hmm, I am beginning to think this is more common than one person would think.

I think I also had similar problems around my late teens, early twenties.

I think at school, you are taught well, but in the real world, there is a lot of madness, which can confuse the brain.

Trust your education, and pay little heed to the nonsense that occurs as you reach adulthood.