• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Meeting someone new problem

X

xuanxuan

Hey everyone :)
So, I have a problem that is probably relatively insignificant, but it seems so big in my head.
Over the last few days, I've been texting with a boy via Snapchat. I'm a girl and I don't really have a lot of experience talking to the opposite sex and meeting new people in general. We haven't really texted a lot, since I always take a long time to answer (I do that with everyone haha) but today he asked me if want to play some video games with him. And I said yes since I didn't want to be rude and I thought maybe I could do it. But now, thinking about talking to someone I've never really met before - I'm dreading it. And I'm also quite an introverted person so I don't need a lot of social interaction. We haven't set a date or anything but I'm thinking about not responding, since we've only been texting for a few days and he could just text anybody else if he wanted to. And I feel like an a**hole. I feel like whatever I do it'll make me feel bad in one way or another. I have holidays right now and I just want to relax and enjoy my time not having to interact with a lot of people and I feel like if we played videogames one time he would probably ask me again and I don't like dealing with these expectations from people that I'm always ready to do something.
Aw man this is probably the smallest issue ever but maintaining friendships seems very difficult to me and yeah... I know I am maybe a bad person always shutting people out but I don't understand why they want to do something with me in the first place.
So, what would you say about this? Thanks in advance if anyone decides to answer :) I just wanted to get it off my chest since I can't concentrate on anything else if I don't.

bluestar ocean

bluestar ocean

I don't think feeling obligated to meet somebody that you have never met is wrong or abnormal. If you intuitively feel uncomfortable about the situation and you're doing the right thing by listening to your intuition. You may need putting pressure on yourself feeling that you should meet other people or that you're missing out but it's not important because in the future they'll be lots of people in situations that feel right. It's normal to put pressure on yourself but listening to your gut feeling and intuition is probably telling you what to do.