• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Meds/disorder and sex drive

Kos

Kos

How does your medication or mental illness effect your sex drive?

I don't have one at all, I was just wondering if this is a common side effect, or if it was completely unrelated to any medication I am on.

C

coraline1664

-

If this was since you starting taking your medication, it is very likely a side effect. It's a pretty common one. I was like that on anti-depressants.

A

Adi01

Hi,

Unfortunately it is a common problem. I have been on several different medications and the majority have had an effect on my sex drive. The moment i came off everything returned to normal. Remind yourself it is only the anti-depressants causing the problem, it is not you......

C

CrashtestMummy

I get turned on but find it hard to tip over and the more they (the anti depressent) increase the more difficult it get to feel sexy or passonate which is a real nightmare for me!!

Its not you! the worst one for me was the mitazpine + sertraine combo!!

Its a case of trial and error with all these things and sometimes you need to rty a diffrent tack or approch to what noramaly works! I found I odd black lace novel helps me feel a bit more in the mood give it a go

:innocent:

dib4uk

dib4uk

I don't have one at all, I was just wondering if this is a common side effect, or if it was completely unrelated to any medication I am on.
I dont know if its my medication, but i believe that its my mental health problems that means that i have no sex drive, sex and I are not friends we're enermies on the battle field of life.

:eek:

D

Deremna

I have no sex drive and it's not due to the medication. In fact, my pdoc said that the Wellbutrin actually has a chance of upping my sex drive. This lack of sex drive is a normal occurence for me and my lack of affection is what has ended most of my relationships. I'm good for about the first couple of months, super lovey, but then it just stops. No hugging. No kissing. Definitely no sex. It's like I am repulsed by it.

It never really affected me before because the past boyfriends were mentally abusive douchers so I figure they deserved it. But my current boyfriend of 4 and a half years does not deserve it. He's sweet and so very patient and attractive but I have to make myself be affectionate and it's very apparent. He even asked me if I still loved him last night and I said, 'Of course I do.. I'm just not affectionate.. What do you want me to do??" To which he replied, "Be more affectionate.." But that's easier said than done. What am I supposed to say, "I love you but the thought of us being intimate makes me want to throw up?" It's very frustrating. He says it's no big deal, but I'm not stupid. I know it's an important part to a relationship.

I was crazy sexual like a couple months ago for about a week.. I'm pretty sure that was the mania taking hold of the reigns.

A

Adi01

I have no sex drive and it's not due to the medication. In fact, my pdoc said that the Wellbutrin actually has a chance of upping my sex drive. This lack of sex drive is a normal occurence for me and my lack of affection is what has ended most of my relationships. I'm good for about the first couple of months, super lovey, but then it just stops. No hugging. No kissing. Definitely no sex. It's like I am repulsed by it.

It never really affected me before because the past boyfriends were mentally abusive douchers so I figure they deserved it. But my current boyfriend of 4 and a half years does not deserve it. He's sweet and so very patient and attractive but I have to make myself be affectionate and it's very apparent. He even asked me if I still loved him last night and I said, 'Of course I do.. I'm just not affectionate.. What do you want me to do??" To which he replied, "Be more affectionate.." But that's easier said than done. What am I supposed to say, "I love you but the thought of us being intimate makes me want to throw up?" It's very frustrating. He says it's no big deal, but I'm not stupid. I know it's an important part to a relationship.

I was crazy sexual like a couple months ago for about a week.. I'm pretty sure that was the mania taking hold of the reigns.
Could this be something that goes back to your upbringing, parents? If you saw no effection around you that may have transmitted to you.

A

Adi01

Kos, i have found that my desire hasnt diminised but the point of climax takes longer to arrive. (sorry, this sounds crude but i didnt know how best to describe,forgive me).

D

Deremna

Could this be something that goes back to your upbringing, parents? If you saw no effection around you that may have transmitted to you.
My parents have been married for 28 years and they've always been affectionate people both towards each other and towards me. Hell, my mom told me that she wanted me to have sex with my boyfriend at least once a week but that was a promise I couldn't keep... Sadly, for my boyfriend, once a month is a miracle. We've been together almost five years and it makes me sad to think that he'll be stuck with this..