Meds causing issues

D

Demile

Hello again,

I have been on zyprexa for about 6 weeks now. I started on 10mg but was recently upped to 20mg. It is helping better but I am noticing some things. I'm having bursts of mania. Not mean, I just feel like I'm on top of the world and nothing can stop me. It's lasts for a few days then I'm back to normal. Also my dreams are screwing me up. I have always had realistic dreams but now they are so realistic that I'm losing reality. It's creating memories that are not real. Also I have woke up a few times not knowing where I am at. I haven't talked to my therapist yet. I'm afraid she is going to pull me off the meds. I don't want to stop them cause I am having a lot of good effects. I just hope that I can figure this out.

Drooo

Drooo

You should definitely speak about this to your therapist/doctor.
I've not heard of antipsychotics causing mania before, hopefully someone else will be able to come along and offer more on this.
If you are beginning to lose touch with reality that is a recipe for disaster in the making; it will likely only get worse. At the very least you should probably be on the lower dose again. You could end up in a lot of trouble, safety-wise, by ignoring this. Be sensible and let them know.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Definately speak to your Dr or CPN ASAP. My husband had issues similar to this when starting on Aripiprazole and apparently it's quite common with this to be very restless and on the go all the time. I scared myself reading a couple of anecdotal articles on line that linked it to first episodes of mania, but it turned out Just to be a side effect and settled after a few weeks to a manageable level. When he had his dose increased recently they also prescribed a week of diazepam to take the edge off this whilst he got used to it which worked well.