• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Meds and weight gain

emski

emski

Hi,

I'm currently taking Depakote and Mirtazapine to treat Bipolar Disorder, and have gained almost 2 stone in weight in only 7 months! I feel this is excessive and given that I exercise every day and eat healthily, I can only attribute it to the meds. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to take them anymore.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems with these meds?

Can anyone recommend other meds that do not gain weight, or maybe not as much? I've been researching and it seems all mood stabilisers and atypical antipscychotics cause weight gain.

Any pearls of wisdom will be greatly appreciated :)

M

Missfit

Hiya, i'm sorry to read of the weight gain you're experiencing, it doesn't help how we feel about ourselves does it! All I can say is most Psyc meds have weight gain listed as a possible side effect, but that doesn't mean everyone on that med will gain weight. Have you spoken to your Psychiatrist about trying a different med? I was on Depakote but swapped to Sodium Valproate which is similar (Depakote = Valproate semisodium), though I changed because I couldn't take Depakote because of the smell lmao

Maybe Sodium Valproate would do the same job without the weight gain, I haven't had any weight gain while on it, but like I say we're all different & so i'd see your Psyc (Also, it could be a physical illness or a thyroid problem causing it, sometimes the tyroid is affected by medication & functions differently, which could cause weight gain, not saying that's why, i'm no Dr, but it's worth ruling any other illness out & talking to your Psyc).

As you're eating healthily & exercising, if other causes are ruled out it more than likely is the med & no doubt they can try something else which will be ok, good luck!

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Mirtazapine is notorious for weight gain. I was on that and sodium valproate. I gained 3 stone. I was hungry all the time, side effect of the mirtazepine. When I came off, I lost a stone without even trying.

Happy

emski

emski

Thanks Missfit and Happy. It's encouraging to hear you lost a stone without trying when you came off the same meds as I'm on - I hope when I come off them it has the same effect.

Out of interest Happy, are you on meds now and do they have weight gain side effect or are you med free at present?

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi Emski,
I am still on meds. I am on 450mg of quetiapine and 25mg lamotragine. I am still 2 stone overweight but to be honest, I am not doing much to get rid of it. I know I am overeating so while weight gain is a listed possible side effect of quetiapine, I think I would have to have a serious attempt at losing the 2 stone before I balme the meds.
Happy