• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

meds advice sexual side effects

P

pberm1962

I am a male. I am back on generic lexapro after 2 years of taking nothing for my depression.ive had good luck previously with lexapro relieving my depression.its been about two weeks and I am seeing a tiny improvement in my depression but I also have noticed a huge decrease in my sex drive.i had been on it before and noticed the same issue. Does anyone have experience or advice on a med that helps depression and doesn't cause sexual issues? Maybe even another SSRI , or maybe not. I know each drug effects everyone differently,just was hoping for some input or maybe someone had a similar side effect from Lexapro and tried something different. Thanks paul

P

pberm1962

Fyi ,I am 57 years old, I take a 20 mg dose of Lexapro daily ,if you could tell me your dosage amount as well ,that'd be good tx

E

EverydayPeople

Hi there. I've been on a different medication for depression for a long time. It does decrease my sex drive, as many of them do. As far as I know a decreased libido is one of the most common side effects of anti-depressants in general, though there may be some out there that have a smaller effect on the libido. I have talked with a few men and women about this issue, and it does seem to bother men more in general, as far as I have learned. I think you can talk to your doctor about it to see if there are alternative medications for you that wont affect your sex drive as much. Doctors are well aware of this side effect and would not be suprised or embarrassed by such a conversation, I don't think. My doctors ask everytime about how the pills are affecting me in this area and how I feel about it, so ...its no big deal to open up that conversation. Good luck!

P

pberm1962

Thanks for the info it's been ok I am sticking with the 10 mg of Lexapro and see how it goes. .I will deal with a slight decrease in libido if my depression is managed

E

EverydayPeople

That's a good plan, buddy. Take care of yourself.

EddieH

EddieH

I'm on 60mg of lexapro, no libido at all anymore. It sucks but think the pills are helping me