• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medium Secure Units?

L

lcfcfem

Hi, this is my first post on here so bear with me. I have a 26 year old daughter that has been in and out of mental health hospitals for the past 10 years - mainly through taking soft (haha!!) drugs. She has been diagnosed as having borderline personality disorder. She is a bright young spark, but through the illness and lifestyle she is more like a 16 year old than her true age.

18 months ago she had an incidence where she attacked a hospital security guard due to wanting to be admitted as she was feeling 'desparate' for help. Initially, they sent her to prison and then after a few months she did get moved to a low secure unit. 6 months ago she was moved to a non-secure unit. Throughout this time she has been having 'treatment' from psychiatrics etc. Over the last couple of weeks she has started to self-harm again - (she cuts herself frequently). She has now been told that she is going to be moved to a medium secure unit.

|I have spoken to the ward, but as always, I never get any information. It makes it worse because I live outside of the UK. What I would like to know is what are medium secure units and do people actually get rehabilitated by them? I fear that my daughter will spend her life institionalised and never get better.

Thank you

A

Apotheosis

I have spoken to the ward, but as always, I never get any information. It makes it worse because I live outside of the UK. What I would like to know is what are medium secure units and do people actually get rehabilitated by them? I fear that my daughter will spend her life institionalised and never get better.

Thank you
Hi lcfcfem, & :welcome: to the site. I don't want to appear negative. My cousin has spent the last 10 years on a section & in various secure & medium secure units. It is easy to get lost in the system & become institutionalised.

I have spent over a year in psychiatric units over 4 admissions. It doesn't take long to get very used to being in those places. If I hadn't had family around me; & their willingness to try to care & look after me - then I don't think I would have come out of those places. Institutionalisation is a big problem for both ex offenders & ex psychiatric patients.

There is some rehabilitation - different places vary in the amount of support & care they provide. The problem is that the longer the time spent in a unit; the less used you are to living independently. Personally I think there is a severe lack of genuine help & support for people. "illness" is managed on meds; & there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of much else. I feel sad for my cousin. After this last period of incarceration, over the past 10 years; on high doses of meds - I don't see how she will ever be able to live an independent life.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful or positive.