• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Medium Secure Units?

L

lcfcfem

Hi, this is my first post on here so bear with me. I have a 26 year old daughter that has been in and out of mental health hospitals for the past 10 years - mainly through taking soft (haha!!) drugs. She has been diagnosed as having borderline personality disorder. She is a bright young spark, but through the illness and lifestyle she is more like a 16 year old than her true age.

18 months ago she had an incidence where she attacked a hospital security guard due to wanting to be admitted as she was feeling 'desparate' for help. Initially, they sent her to prison and then after a few months she did get moved to a low secure unit. 6 months ago she was moved to a non-secure unit. Throughout this time she has been having 'treatment' from psychiatrics etc. Over the last couple of weeks she has started to self-harm again - (she cuts herself frequently). She has now been told that she is going to be moved to a medium secure unit.

|I have spoken to the ward, but as always, I never get any information. It makes it worse because I live outside of the UK. What I would like to know is what are medium secure units and do people actually get rehabilitated by them? I fear that my daughter will spend her life institionalised and never get better.

Thank you

A

Apotheosis

I have spoken to the ward, but as always, I never get any information. It makes it worse because I live outside of the UK. What I would like to know is what are medium secure units and do people actually get rehabilitated by them? I fear that my daughter will spend her life institionalised and never get better.

Thank you
Hi lcfcfem, & :welcome: to the site. I don't want to appear negative. My cousin has spent the last 10 years on a section & in various secure & medium secure units. It is easy to get lost in the system & become institutionalised.

I have spent over a year in psychiatric units over 4 admissions. It doesn't take long to get very used to being in those places. If I hadn't had family around me; & their willingness to try to care & look after me - then I don't think I would have come out of those places. Institutionalisation is a big problem for both ex offenders & ex psychiatric patients.

There is some rehabilitation - different places vary in the amount of support & care they provide. The problem is that the longer the time spent in a unit; the less used you are to living independently. Personally I think there is a severe lack of genuine help & support for people. "illness" is managed on meds; & there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of much else. I feel sad for my cousin. After this last period of incarceration, over the past 10 years; on high doses of meds - I don't see how she will ever be able to live an independent life.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful or positive.