• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Meditation with Eckhart Tolle

Kerome

Kerome

Here is a meditation led by Eckhart Tolle, which he calls "journey to the now", where he talks a little about presence and mindfulness. Watch his face - spirituality with humour!

Kerome

Kerome

He explained elsewhere why he doesn't use the term "mindfulness" for some of his exercises. It's mainly because he thinks it is not about mind-full-ness, it is about focussing the awareness, which is not thinking or mind, so he uses the word presence. Interesting...

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's interesting. He is certainly a lot different than bashar (darryl anka).

I guess he terms 'mindfulness' as thoughts and emotions,
imo the substance and moving energy, emotions being the denser energy, slower and longer,
whereas the awareness and presence is still.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have you heard of Barry Long?
If so, what is your take on him?

Kerome

Kerome

Have you heard of Barry Long?
If so, what is your take on him?
I looked him up, just reading the Wikipedia entry and listening a bit on YouTube. I didn't find him particularly charismatic or appealing on a personal level, he is rather dry. But I quite like his teaching that "men and women have forgotten how to love each other, and that is the source of much unhappiness". Osho also had a lot to say about men and women and how they should relate, I think there's definitely something to that, and to tantric teachings in general.

I have a thing about voices when listening to spiritual teachers. No two are the same, but the ones who are genuinely advanced spiritually, and not just working with the mind, tend to have amazing voices which show some of their qualities. Barry Longs audio tapes show a very controlled, level voice, which agrees with his teaching of self denial, but after much listening to Osho and Eckhart I expected to hear more heart.

It sounds like there is something to be gotten from his teachings though. Apparently Eckhart Tolle has also read Barry Long, and quite liked his teachings.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was introduced to barry long when i was 16.

I wonder how much of what i think and feel has been influenced by various spiritual teachers, and how much was present beforehand / is authentically mine,
or even the possibly of them both being the same like the nature/nurture debate.

Kerome

Kerome

Hehe, I could say the same, my dad went off to India when I was six, and the whole family became Osho sannyassins when I was seven. So there's a childhood walking in Orange and red... One of us sannyassin kids later wrote a book about it, My Life In Orange by Tim Guest. But Osho was very much minded that people shouldn't indoctrinate children, that they should basically be left to grow up independently.

What I did get was a tremendous grounding in all kinds of concepts of mysticism and philosophy, and their creators. Everybody from Socrates to Zarathustra to Chuang Tzu.

After which I went off and did an engineering degree and became basically materialist for 20 years, lol