• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Meditation explanation for smelling things that are not there.

chesterking

chesterking

ChesterKing's talk to Jim Malloy.

I have begun smelling smells that are not there. Is this common in meditation?
On my 1 hour walks, I can smell perfume when nobody is about, male aftershave when somebody passes me by, strange unknown exotic smells, diesel fumes even when there are no cars there. Also I have begun to feel ill and nauseous I think as a result of these smells. These smells only seem to happen when I go for my 1 hour walk outside. Inside the house, there are no smells or in any other outside venues such as shopping malls or temples. I am totally puzzled. Is this part of my spiritual awakening?

I have never had this problem of smelling things that are not there before in my whole lifetime.
Will these 'smelling problems' where by I smell things that are not there, be gone after enlightenment?

Are there any treatments for this problem or do I have ride it out? How long will this problem last for?

Another strange incident occurred, I went past this awful toxic smell on one of my walks. On my way back in exactly same spot, the same smell was there. As I went past it, my head started to hurt slightly. When I went home I was in this blissful state of no thought for 3 or 4 hours. My head hurt on and off for 3 or 4 days. It was a slight headache but my mind for them days felt more in the present moment. I had far less thoughts then I had before. It felt really good despite the headaches. Now either somebody was playing a prank and sprayed some LSD like substance in the air or I'm going mad, or this is part of my spiritual transformation or awakening?
What do you think Jim?

November 26, 2014 at 4:27:00 PM EST

Last edited:
chesterking

chesterking

Jim Malloy said....

Smelling things like you are describing is not a typical effect of meditation. However, meditation can indeed heighten certain senses in certain individuals. For some, the sense of hearing may become heightened. For others the sense of sight may become more acute. For you, it happens to be the sense of smell.

The things you are smelling may be physically present, but so subtle, that only you can perceive them. And at times, you may be tuning into smells on a higher plane - the astral plane.

Although this may be a source of discomfort or annoyance, I would not consider it a major problem. It may or may not pass on its own, but I suggest you try to view your heightened olfactory sense as a small indication of your growth and transformation.

No one can tell you how long these strange smells will last, or if they will subside when you reach a more enlightened state. There may be a practitioner available - a homeopathist or other alternative healer - who can recommend something to alleviate this.

November 26, 2014 at 4:34:00 PM EST

Kerome

Kerome

Hmm, well, perhaps. But they could also be hallucinations. That doesn't mean they don't deserve a measure of respect... After all they are still part of your personal experience.

Generally with these things I prefer to use Occams Razor, which is a thinking tool invented by the Arabian philosopher Occam. The idea is that, all other things being equal, the simplest explanation should be held to to be true.

So I generally wouldn't attribute strange smells to an influence from the astral plane. Especially not knowing that you have a mental health condition and might be hallucinating.

chesterking

chesterking

Especially not knowing that you have a mental health condition and might be hallucinating.
I've been mentally ill for eighteen years, and I've never hallucinated in my entire adult life. The only reason I'm taking my medication, is because of my racing disturbing thoughts and unpleasant feelings which I get, if I don't take it.
I don't hear voices either.

There was a time when I was mentally ill, and I believed all the thoughts in my head were real. I believed in all my thoughts, but that was about it. So anything my mind was creating, I was actually believing was real. But that spell only lasted only for a short time.

Kerome

Kerome

The thing is, a lot of mental health conditions are progressive, and new symptoms can show up at various points. So if you have say schizophrenia, you are vulnerable to having hallucinatory symptoms show up even when you haven't had any before, and you have to take that into account. Exposure to psychiatric medication can also cause a range of side effects, which can get worse over the years.

So I would be careful, especially in drawing any particular conclusions from the effects of what you smell. If you accept the explanation of "it's a meditation side effect, it's ok" then there is the possibility that you also start accepting "this smell has done something to me", and that sounds like a delusion.

chesterking

chesterking

Or could it be, that meditation has made me more aware of what's happening around me? How about that explanation?

Kerome

Kerome

If it's just a heightened sense of smell, you should be able to test that. Take some food from the fridge and smell things, like a pickle or a cheese. Or try a soap from the bathroom or a sock from the laundry. All of these should have distinct smells, and if your sense of smell has been heightened you should find those scents clearer and more pronounced.

If you find that in those circumstances your sense of smell is the same as it was, it is not likely that you're suddenly getting flashes of a heightened sense only when you are outside. It is more likely that something outside is triggering you, maybe an underlying anxiety, to have flashes of scent hallucination.

S

sakshi

ChesterKing's talk to Jim Malloy.

I have begun smelling smells that are not there. Is this common in meditation?
On my 1 hour walks, I can smell perfume when nobody is about, male aftershave when somebody passes me by, strange unknown exotic smells, diesel fumes even when there are no cars there. Also I have begun to feel ill and nauseous I think as a result of these smells. These smells only seem to happen when I go for my 1 hour walk outside. Inside the house, there are no smells or in any other outside venues such as shopping malls or temples. I am totally puzzled. Is this part of my spiritual awakening?

I have never had this problem of smelling things that are not there before in my whole lifetime.
Will these 'smelling problems' where by I smell things that are not there, be gone after enlightenment?

Are there any treatments for this problem or do I have ride it out? How long will this problem last for?

Another strange incident occurred, I went past this awful toxic smell on one of my walks. On my way back in exactly same spot, the same smell was there. As I went past it, my head started to hurt slightly. When I went home I was in this blissful state of no thought for 3 or 4 hours. My head hurt on and off for 3 or 4 days. It was a slight headache but my mind for them days felt more in the present moment. I had far less thoughts then I had before. It felt really good despite the headaches. Now either somebody was playing a prank and sprayed some LSD like substance in the air or I'm going mad, or this is part of my spiritual transformation or awakening?
What do you think Jim?

November 26, 2014 at 4:27:00 PM EST
My opinion is:

The smells you have known already are being sensed in a different capacity due to --> heightened senses

The smells you have not known before and are "unusual and exotic" to you are due to --> coming in contact with the astral plane

Soon enough you will be able to smell each person's unique astral fragrance. Some people smell rancid, others, indescribable. It is a real thing. Your 5 sense will begin sensing things that are "not really there"; they are. It's part of the higher consciousness deal. It'll make sense to you. Just don't try to convince other people of it otherwise you'll sound crazy. Trust your path, you'll see for yourself....take care, love you.