• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

meditation does it work?

Daybreak

Daybreak

This is something I'm doing lately (4-7-8 breathing count exercise):

In the comments a Dr. talks about how this works and how you need to keep the 4-7-8 ratio, not necessarily 4-7-8 seconds.

Daybreak

Daybreak

I remembered wrong, he said this:

DrRic Saguil
Remember, the basic concept Andy is teaching-to increase the ratio of exhale to inhale (causes a parasympathetic response to slow heart, lower blood pressure). Some swimmers/divers will know of slow exhalation exercises and the relaxation associated with it. The pause can stimulate the vagus nerve, and its functions to slow heart rate (like what he states to control paroxysmal atrial tachicardia, I would do this in the Immediate Care by compressing the carotid artery when patients had fast rates while waiting for the nurses to place an IV in for heart drugs-very back country treatment but it works). So dont feel bad if you cant match the breath phases to the measurement of a second on a watch/timepiece. As long as the Ratio of your personal exhale is longer than your personal inhale + you incorporate a pause....that is what strengthens parasymp and decreases sympathetic stimulation (in the nervous system).

M

mandy125

Well I didn't know any of that thanks for the video I used to practice yoga than I got diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder and am having trouble getting back into it but I guess anywhere a start ;)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m schitzoaffective with social anxietty and Ive found mindfulness breathing techniques really help to calm me down as i also suffer a high pulse rate,resting at 125 then shoots up when i get anxious but i take betablockers twice a day to slow it down. With the mindfulness you just concentrate on your breathing and it can be done anywhere and no one would know. Theirs plenty of you tube videos on it and ive found it easier than meditation as i have great difficulty trying to clear my mind

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i find meditation helps unfortunately i can't do it when i'm with a group of people say the train were they're half of them talking into mobiles

M

mandy125

No I couldn't do it if I was on a train or in a car it's hard because my pulse rate resting is a hundred and I'm also on pills for this but it still won't go down so I'm retrying meditation as my point of focus have been looking on Spotify they have some good guided meditations as well x

Z

Zyfa

i used to meditate everyday for an 1hour,i expieriaced and saw alto of amazing things and i had inner peace,but eversince voice came i sort of lost that inner peace,however i still do meditate regardless of the voices with calming soothing music in the background,it works,espacially when you say positive affirmations like "i am calm","i am gentle","i am peacefull",hope this works for you,all the best.