Meditation challenge!

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve read so much material about the positive benefits of mindfulness meditation that I decided to get serious with it, and change my practice from “I meditate when I feel like it” to “I meditate every morning” for a week. Then if I like it I may extend it, but the initial challenge I’m setting myself is a week. And I’d like to invite people to join in.

Personally I’m going to sit and watch the breath for an hour, but I understand if you want to do a shorter session. If you haven’t meditated before then 5 or 10 minuted is a good place to start... expect to get distracted, it’s normal, just return to watching the breath as soon as you remember.

H

Helena1

i've read loads of stories recently about meditation giving people psychosis. :eek2:

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve read that, but it seems to be just one or two isolated cases. And there are always going to be a few people who were already on the edge who want to participate. So it’s only logical that there would be a few cases. Most people are perfectly safe to do it, I’ve been meditating on and off for years and have never had a problem with it.

Perhaps if you are experiencing psychosis or have experienced it in the very recent past it might not be a good idea to participate.

Kerome

Kerome

I will do ten minutes a day with you!
Wonderful! I did an hour yesterday and will do an hour this morning too, I had a good nights rest and don’t have anything on the schedule so it should be good.

naominash

naominash

I'm struggling.

I already fell off the wagon and missed the meditation entirely. This morning I tried it and I found myself getting frustrated with the busy bee like thoughts. I am usually anxious to do things in the morning.

This is why I need the practice to be still.

I will try again.

naominash

naominash

That time was much better. I meditated o music and got some moments of thought-free sweet spots.

I'm trying not to judge the thoughts but just gently bring myself back to focusing on the breath and present experience.

Kerome

Kerome

I'm trying not to judge the thoughts but just gently bring myself back to focusing on the breath and present experience.
That’s a good way to do it. Sounds like you’re making progress! :mrgreen:

Kerome

Kerome

My meditation this morning was a little different. I noticed that in the past I had done some clock watching, that every fifteen minutes or so I’d pop open my eyes and sneak a peek at the clock in order to see how much further I had to go until the time was up. So this time I thought I would use the timer on my phone, so that I could just wait until the timer went off.

This led to some interesting moments where I suddenly started feeling impatient during the meditation, which is one of the classic “hindrances to meditation”. I also found I had some longer and shorter periods of drifting off away from the breath... always when I noticed I returned to the breath but it’s not always so easy when the breath gets shallow.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi Kerome,

Love the idea - I meditate myself, but only a few times a week! Won't be joining this time, but I'm supporting you (and whoever else joins in) through this - hope it works well!x

Much love <3

Kerome

Kerome

I’m still keeping up the morning meditation, sometimes I start at 9, sometimes at 10 or even 11 this morning. It was tempting to do a shorter meditation today because I have a friend’s birthday to go to, but I found some extra motivation and stuck with an hour.

Kerome

Kerome

Well we have completed our challenge, I’m quite happy I can now sit for an hours meditation with my timer on my phone without getting impatient (sometimes). Congratulations to all who participated!