• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

medicines and school

R

rei delas

Hi there, I hope I am at the right section.
I take zyprexa, with this medicine it's nearly impossible to learn, so school is not really a possibility now.
I would like to know if there are people here who take antipsychotics and go to school.
Please, people, post the antipsychotic you take and please share experiences about how it is to use the antipsychotic and going to school at the same time.
Who knows I might ask the same medicine instead of zyprexa.

R

Rose19602

Hi Rei,
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear about your struggles with your learning and this drug and the very understandable frustration you feel.
I have no experience of this drug personally,(Olanzapine) but others might well know of it and may be able to help. Which dose are you on, for which condition?
(Sometimes those details can help people to suggest drugs they have used that are better....but it's up to you as to what you want to tell us.)

I imagine if you are at school you are 18 or under?
So difficult to deal with MH issues needing anti psychotics at your age.
I would hope that you will receive some replies on this, but would advise that you will have to speak to your GP or psych before changing, as I'm sure you know.

We can't advise on the suitability or not of certain drugs because we're not medically trained and don't know your medical history.
But please keep using the forum for friendship and support.
It would be good to get to know you.
x

Last edited by a moderator:
Angelsfire

Angelsfire

Hi rei,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with school.

I don't know if this is just my opinion but zyprexa has been given specifically to you because that's what might be suited to you. I would say that if you are having trouble like that then maybe speak to the person who put you on it and see what they can do, it might be that your body just needs time to adjust to it?? I don't know but definitely take it up with a professional if you are having these concerns.

Stay strong and be safe x

R

rei delas

I''m sry, i wasn't clear enough, my bad.
I am supposed to get another medicine, thats y im here.'
SO please, ppl, if u go 2 school n take antipsychotics, please post which antipsychotic you take. I've got a new doctor and i wanna ask 4 a antipsychotic that can help me go to school and learn properly, cuz zyprexa isn't helping. It's all up to me, because my doctor probably has not got patients that go to school. Thats is the reason y i came to this forum.
Thx in advance.

R

rei delas

I''m sry, i wasn't clear enough, my bad.
I am supposed to get another medicine, thats y im here.'
SO please, ppl, if u go 2 school n take antipsychotics, please post which antipsychotic you take. I've got a new doctor and i wanna ask 4 a antipsychotic that can help me go to school and learn properly, cuz zyprexa isn't helping. It's all up to me, because my doctor probably has not got patients that go to school. Thats is the reason y i came to this forum.
Thx in advance.
No answers?lol

T

Taff

hi there
We are all here as people with mental health matters. I am sorry that you are having problems but I am not medically qualified and nor are other people here. it wouldnt be responsible to tell you what drugs to ask for to get through school. To be honest if there was a magic pill with no side effects we would not need to be here.
Your doctor will know you better than us so really you need to have this discussion with him or her.
Hope that you understand. xx
You are very welcome here to read other peoples experiences and join in the discussions and to ask for general support .
All sincere wishes to you Taffy x

speckles

speckles

Of course your dr will have other patients who want to learn or hold down a job, people are put on meds for what suits them for the illnesses they have, they can change or adjust them according to your feedback, doctors are meant to do this, but there isn't one drug that does this for all people it is very individual, but there will be people learning on meds, or meds and there will be some that can't because of their illness, your doctor though is the person to talk to about this, they may be able to give you a different type of treatment to show you how to live with your illness without meds. No one can tell you that without being qualified or know your case