• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medicine

P

Plumage

If I don't take antidepressants I die. At least thats how it has been when I have become suicidal in the past when I stop taking them.

Then I get this awful fucking realisation that the only way the healthcare industry knows that these pills are successful are by making animals fucking depressed then testing it on them! Having these thoughts does not help my depression but it also makes me want to stop taking the medicine.

So, a monkey is in a cage, depressed, or a mouse or a rat or a dog or a cat in a laboratory and its being given a 'new trial' for depression medication.

Ten years later I am taking said new medicine to 'make me feel better' yet I don't know how many animals have been made to suffer just so that I don't kill myself.

What to do? I swear these thoughts are going to finish me someday.

SarahD

SarahD

Do agree. And for the most part other creatures' systems are so different from humans' that they can't tell from those experiments the drugs are safe. And the human drug trials are so short (4 to 6 weeks often) that they have no idea of the effects. Then the real trial starts when,they are launched on the public.

It isn't fair to torture animals, and most animal testing is not relevant to humans.

F

friend123

Not all medicines are tested on animals. All pharmaceutical companies have really strong ethical policies and it might not be just a case of making animals depressed. The way that their hormone producers and receptors work and average levels of hormones are probably very different to the way in which antidepressants effect humans.

Also, would it help to think that if these animals are helping you to live longer, then you could do something to protect animals in the future? It's not being hypocritical, there are lots of ways you can help and improve someone else's quality of life :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Depression Forum 5
L Depression Forum 5