• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medications

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi there. I was just wondering about meds that others take as my pharmacist who delivers mine was querying the alterations on mine. Everytime i see my psych it seems that there is some change to my medication and im on a real cocktail and have just been told by the hospital that ive been taking the wrong dose of one of them (under)

I have asked to reduce my meds down but they never seem to take any notice and i just wondered if it was normal to take so much, Im on

Depakote 500 x 2
quetiapine 50 x 2
sertraline 200 x1
propanalol 40 x1
buspirone 5mg x2

And ive been told that th quetiapine will be increased next week. Im sure this cant be normal, but would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks and how i can go about getting it reduced. I have in the past stopped them myself over time by myself , but im then treated like an idiot and am warned that if i don take them they may admit me. I am not a danger to anyone and have never harmed anyone or been arrested. Why then do they think i would need to be admitted.

Sorry rant over now:mad:

D

Dollit

Hi Daffy - your meds shouldn't be altered without discussion with you as to why etc. Next time you see the psych ask them why they're being altered, what sort of effect that they'll hope it will have and why you've been told you will have to be admitted if you don't comply. This is clearly a prime example about why we have to have a mutual language with out doctors. Get them to write all their reasons down and share it with us if you want. Good luck

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Hi Daffy

Dollit is right. You need to be consulted whenever there is a change in your medication so that you are clear about why it needs to be so. If you do not agree after the Dr has explained you can stay calm and ask again.
Never be afraid to say you do not unerstand because most often that will be because the explainatiionis inadequate.
If you are not satisfied with the psychs perspective on your medication go to your GP to discuss it again. The GP may be able to make adjustments if s/he is the one who has prescribing responsibility.

Do you have any other methoda of controling your moods? Do you eat healthily, get plenty of exercise, social life and interests etc?

Are there any changes that you would like to make to your lifestyle?

What would you like to do today, this week or this year? Is it to sort out the meds?:rolleyes:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi windblows.

my GP has nothing to do with my meds apart from issuing the repeats. The hosp psych issues it all. Its not too bad when my social worker goes with me, cos she goes thru it again. But i cant count the different number of psychs ive seen over the last 4 years. It seems that every few months they leave, and i think thats where a lot of the problem lies cos there is no continuity. Im sure they only read half the notes.

Ive asked my SW on several occasions if she can see about having them reduced, and then all the psych does is say 'not just yet' I wouldnt mind taking them if i thought they were going to stop my mood changes but i still seem to get them no matter how much im on, and i know im going up at the moment so there obviously not doing wot they shld be.

Other people that ive met thru the service only seem to be on a couple of different meds, and thats why im concerned

D

Dollit

Daffy, if the psych says they won't reduce the meds 'just yet' then ask why not. It's your body & mind they're putting the drugs in and you have a right to know why. Yes it is difficult when you're seeing a junior doctor but the consultant oversees that work and your GP should be able to email him/her or write and ask for a comprehensive view of your case. Keep trying.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I've recently sacked my consultant team, so will get my script from the GP. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll work them down.

Currently on 10mg Olanzapine nightly, right horrible hangover in the morning, bit of weight gain (which they should have made me realise was going to happen), but much better than the Stelazine I used to be on....dang that stuff was horrible, restlessness central and needed a side effect med to stop other side effects... :scared:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Hi Daffy
You do seem to be on an excessive mixture and it may be worth looking each one up yourself. I know it can be worrying because there is so much information made available and it is not always presented in the best way.

For a start http://www.depakoteer.com/depakoteer/ will tell you alot such as "The most common adverse (side) effects reported in clinical trials for mania with Depakote were nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, and dizziness." and you have to wonder how this one drug will be interacting with all the rest.

Withdrawal symtoms can be horrible, dangerous or even deadly so you do need to get good advice. Go to your GP. They should at least be able to refer you to someone qualified to help.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks for your advice. Its appreciated.

Rorscharch, i too was on olanzapine a year ago but i put on over 2 stone and that made me really depressed, so one thing outweighed the other (excuse the pun). I felt as tho that part of u that tells you to stop eating had broken and i couldnt fill myself:)

I couldnt believe it this morning cos my psych phned me at home and went thru my meds and reduced the sertraline down to 150 so i guess thats a start. Im seeing him in a couple of weeks so hopefully something more can be sorted then:rolleyes:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Thanks for your advice. Its appreciated.

Rorscharch, i too was on olanzapine a year ago but i put on over 2 stone and that made me really depressed, so one thing outweighed the other (excuse the pun). I felt as tho that part of u that tells you to stop eating had broken and i couldnt fill myself:)

I couldnt believe it this morning cos my psych phoned me at home and went thru my meds and reduced the sertraline down to 150 so i guess thats a start. Im seeing him in a couple of weeks so hopefully something more can be sorted then:rolleyes:
Looks good for 2008...now where did I leave those dohnuts????? :LOL:

D

Dollit

That's great news about the meds Daffy - that should encourage you to say your stuff when you go to see the psych next! :)

W

Windblows

Founding Member
It is great that you will now be on less Sertaline rather than more Quetiapine. You are certainly heading the right way, daffy. Well done.

I do not know anything about any of the medications so far mentioned on this thread but Lithium also makes you put on weight, due to water retention and increased appetite, as do many others. It is always a good thing to make the practitioner aware of weight changes as early as possible so that adjustments can be made to the prescription because excess weight is so damaging to health mentally( self estime) and physically (life expectancy). :scared:

The problem with some side effects is that they are not so evident. I am having problems now with my Throid gland ( in the neck) and these were not picked up by my GP through the blood tests that are meant to detect them - by that time its too late the damage is done - but my sister observed the change and even new what it was from other symptoms. I talked to my GP who then sent me for a scan which verified abnormal cells. I go to see Surgeons at ENT 16 January - maybe then i will find out if Lithium might be responsible and if so I may have to take something new to me - such as Sodium Sulphate. Sounds like another tissue salt.

Anyway I do know what it is like to be on the dolly mix assortment. Haloperidol, Heminevering, Largatol, so many i can't remember the funny names. So many side effects, not allowed in the sun, unable to relax, slurred speach, not able to think properly...it can be :cry: a battle to stay sane.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Polly farm messy

This may be off the point, but many side-effect problems - and some real dangers - can occur if you somehow allow clinicians to prescribe with more than one medication for the same remedy - i.e. polypharmacy. It is out-lawed for many conditions and should be for psychiatric disorders as well - because you cannot trace back what is doing what! for years, my cock-tail included something called pimozide, on top of stelazine, a sort of 2-pronged neuroleptic assault. Result? Extreme grogginess, the shakes, pallid, drained expression, etc. Later it transpired that pimozide takers were unaccountably dropping down dead. Well, the GP took over and insisted the Consultant withdraw treatment of this deadly substance being passed off as a neuroleptic. But the chief problem is polypharmacy, because no one could trace the main offender, and problems were attributed to the comparatively tamer stelazine, adding Kemedrin to the cocktail to off-set stelazine-related tremors and parkinsonism. I do not envy people who present complicatedly, because these cocktails are a likely outcome, as the clinicians toss it about and start experimenting on you.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I actually did some research on Olanzapine and found out they (Zyprexa) settled out of court over a major class suit where a number of patients were found to have developed diabetes. Guess the settling out of court good economics...

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Actually strike that...it looks like they may have lost a case...

Legal case

D

Dollit

I was told when I was originally prescribed Olanzapine that if I had to take it for prolonged periods then I would have to be routinely tested for diabetes but that even if it happened it was reversible on stopping the Olanzapine. Has anyone else had this warning?