• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Medications HATE My Body

ghost713

ghost713

Has anybody else been tried on every medication to treat bipolar, but your body rejects them all? I have had severe side effects or allergies on every medication. Even the meds I'm currently on give me side effects when they raise them. I'm on 200 mg of Tegretol and 10 mg of Abilify, which doesn't hold off my bipolar episodes. In fact, I go into a lot of rapid cycling. Right now, I am rapid cycling so fast it is exhausting. However, I don't miss feeling overmedicated. It's just harder to manage my cycling and intensity of the episode. Somehow, I'm learning how to make it work.

C

CabbageMama

Me! My Psychiatrist kind of loves and hates me for it, I think. He records it as a paradoxical response and says he has a small but strong group of bipolar patients with it. We were almost out of options, I think. I was certainly ready to give up on medication completely - it was making me so much worse. The only one I am able to tolerate that seems to be working ok for me is Topiramate, brand named Topamax in the UK. We have worked through numerous anti psychotics, anticonvulsants, mood stabilisers. Also antidepressants, although I had already tried every one of them at least once, many lots of times over the years through my GP and they are a clear no go for me.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

I seem to be able to take any medication in stride, except pencillian which my stomach hates now for some reason. Wether or not it’s doing anything is another question though.

ghost713

ghost713

Me! My Psychiatrist kind of loves and hates me for it, I think. He records it as a paradoxical response and says he has a small but strong group of bipolar patients with it. We were almost out of options, I think. I was certainly ready to give up on medication completely - it was making me so much worse. The only one I am able to tolerate that seems to be working ok for me is Topiramate, brand named Topamax in the UK. We have worked through numerous anti psychotics, anticonvulsants, mood stabilisers. Also antidepressants, although I had already tried every one of them at least once, many lots of times over the years through my GP and they are a clear no go for me.
I've tried Topamax. It helped for a short time, but my episodes came back. I started taking it when I was sixteen. It stopped working when I was twenty. I've been all antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, mood stabilizers. Antidepressants make me manic, plus, I'm allergic to most of them.
I have a new nurse practitioner, and he's giving me a genetic testing kit to see what I can take. I don't think he believes me when I say I've been on everything. I've been in the system since I was thirteen. So, I have been through this trial-and-error process for years. Still, he doesn't seem to be sure I'm not exaggerating. He wants to try Depakote which I had rash with it and a new medication called, Caplyta. I haven't been on that one. I tried Vraylar, and it made me suicidally depressed. I tried Latuda it gave me a rash.
I'm going to tell him that I'll stick with what I'm on. Even though, I've had moments where I almost lost control. Notice I say, "almost." I'm learning how to manage myself on less medication. Plus, it's hard to know if some of my symptoms are from my PTSD or borderline personality. Those diagnoses usually cannot be treated with medication. Therapy is usually what helps them.

I seem to be able to take any medication in stride, except pencillian which my stomach hates now for some reason. Wether or not it’s doing anything is another question though.

Funny you should mention an antibiotic, I'm allergic to all except Clindamycin. I had allergy testing done when I was twelve. My back blew up in a huge, itchy red rash. I almost died from Zithromax. That's what led to my allergy testing. I swear I have a hypersensitive body when it comes to medication. I'm also allergic to NSAIDS, Allegra (go figure), and more medications. It's ridiculous!

C

CabbageMama

It sounds very much like whatever you are putting in to your body is doing you harm, Ghost. Maybe you are better with nothing at all.

ghost713

ghost713

It sounds very much like whatever you are putting in to your body is doing you harm, Ghost. Maybe you are better with nothing at all.
Trust me, a psychiatrist tried that. It made things worse. I'd love to be med-free! I hate the meds the way they hate me. When I was a child, I didn't have a choice. They forced meds on me. They said it would help me. Being innocent in that manner, I believed them then. Now, after too long, I am tired of trial-and-error. I am wiser now. I know I can't try any more meds. However, I know I decompensate fast without them. So, I believe less is more. I definitely have Bipolar I, based on my symptoms and duration. They say that BIpolar I will NEED meds for the rest of their life. Some argue that but I know from experience I'm not ready to be med-free and maybe I'll never be.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

@ghost713 in my case it’s considered that due to taking it as a child for asthma a bunch my body has become intolerant to it. It’s not an allergy per say, more of a sensitivity.

Your situation sounds rather rough. Not to mention the common side effects inherent to these medications, gotta deal with an allergic reaction too.

K

keith74

@ghost713 Sorry to hear that the meds are causing you so much grief. It is a bit of crap shoot on the effective of the meds and also how bad the side effects are. I hear that people with rapid cycling have it the hardest in regards to find a med that works will AND has minimal side effects for them. Some people I know are forced to only used it on an absolute emergency need basis (they feel an episode coming or predict an very triggering incident coming up) and try to compensate by focusing on a super healthy lifestyle where they try to avoid all triggers as much as possible. That way they minimize their exposure to the bad side effects they experience.