• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medications - Although can be good for MH, what about physcial health?

S

skyblue

Is there any evidence that all these different medications we take are bad for our physical health ?

I know some can be toxic and can damage our liver, but regular blood tests can prevent this. But, I've been thinking or rather panicking lately about my health and wellbeing having to have to take these medications for life.

I have children and so naturally have been worrying about this for sometime now.

I'm sorry to sound morbid, but could they possibly shorten our lives ?

Last edited:
emski

emski

There is a wealth of evidence out there about psychiatric drugs and effects on physical. The question is how solid the evidence is. And furthermore, drugs used in physical conditions can have effects on physical health. We only need to look at drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen and the gastro-intestinal side effects, including peptic ulcers.

So to even things out, all drugs for all types of conditions can have positive and negative effects on the body. Every person reacts to different drugs in different ways. As long as you keep up with any check ups, record and side effects, and try and live as healthy a lifestyle as possible, then it's all about whether the positive impact of psych meds outweigh anyway negative effects.

As for the drugs shortening our lives, research says that life expectancy is lowered in people with serious mental health conditions. Sources estimate between 8 and 25 years. How reliable this figure is and how much of this is directly linked to mental health is unclear, since lifestyle factors and socioeconomic factors play a big role too. Attributions to medications are not explicitly made, and of course suicide impacts greatly on these statistics.

I hope that has been of help and not caused further worry. If the benefits of medication on day to day life help, and outweigh the drawbacks, then I wouldn't worry to much (I don't at least). For me it would be no good living to 100 and being physically fit as a fiddle, but being mentally unstable - the moment is all I have and I like to appreciate it.

:hug:

S

skyblue

Thanks Emski I really appreciate that.

I was recently thinking yet again to try stopping my medication. I've done this on numerous occasions and it never works, I always seem to become ill again. I don't know what makes me think that things we be different the next time around. I must be realistic and just accept the fact that I need them to stay mentally well.

You're right when you say "it'll be no good living until 100 and being physically fit, but mentally unstable". There would be no point, this couldn't be happiness.

I guess what's healthy is finding that balance. Once that balance is found then happiness should be followed.

I thought i'd found that balance, but having felt the way I have for the last few days, I don't think I have:cry:. Maybe it's just a small blip - it'll pass, I must stay possitive !

Thanks for taking the time to write Emski :). x

emski

emski

My pleasure.

You've hit the nail on the head with the word balance, and remember without mental health there can be no health.

Hope the blip passes soon, stay strong x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Bipolar Forum 10
A Bipolar Forum 90