• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Medication?

leaftree

leaftree

Hey,

So months ago I was prescribed fluoxetine for depression. I've been on antidepressants a couple of times before, at about 17 and 20, and both times I struggled. However, the second time I was functional.

I'm scared though. When I was on them before, I had some pretty big disagreements with my family. They say my mood changed, I became uncaring and numb in an angry way. So I've put off trying them again for a long time. I'm 23 now, but I'm really struggling. Still haven't finished my degree, still struggle to make friends or connections with people, still struggle to do anything normal. Whenever I meet anyone I find it hard to talk about anything and often tell them about my depression which understandably drives people away.

But 90% of the people I talk to tell me I shouldn't take antidepressants. I'm coming to the stage of life now where I don't see any other choice. As I get further into my 20s, I'm 24 soon, yeah I have some successes like a part time job and almost finishing uni but it's such a struggle and I'm so miserable and there's no talking therapy for me on the NHS anymore because I've been through it so many times that I think I need something else.

I'm scared though, that I'll become more numb again. Unfeeling. That it won't work out. That it will make it worse and I'll lose even the progress I do have - my job, my degree. But I feel so crap that I can't decide what to do. My parents don't want me to but they said it's up to me now, even though I'm not used to making my own decisions as an adult. I feel like I've got this kind of brain fog, that I used to be intelligent enough but now I'm an adult and I feel like I think like a kid a lot of the time. I just feel so unsupported, alone and scared, and disheartened that more and more of my life seems to slip away from me like this.

So after everything I've written, if anyone has the impressive patience to get through that, do you think I should take the medication? I know that if I don't even try nothing will change, but I'm just so scared.

I hope that all made sense, I've been in a bit of a state today and I've felt like I've been losing it a tiny bit. But I'm still trying my best and just need a bit of support I think.

I'm just so tired of feeling like a burden though. It's so lonely and draining. Any advice would be so appreciated at the moment.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

An SSRI won’t really do much. Maybe if you were on it for a decade. It tends to be antipsychotics that have been proved to change brain structure after a few months. But learning stuff also changed brain structure. Actually about everything changes brain structure. It’s a very adaptable thing. This is all to say no one knows. Either the medication helps you or it doesn’t. Anhedonia usually isn’t the desired outcome. Any long term treatment with medication will have a withdrawal adjustment period should you stop.