• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Medication

• Thread starter Paddlingpool2007
  • Start date
P

Paddlingpool2007

Hi my son is in 150 mg of quatapine is this a low dosage ? He is in an early diagnosis but he seems to becoming agitated again

L

Lab rat

That is a low dose, is it the extended release version? I was on 400 mg at night and 400mg in the morning. I was on the immediate release version. Have to admit, it didn’t do much to help when I got agitated

Is he new to taking the medication? It seems a low dose for maintenance

Passionflower

Passionflower

Very low dose I believe. I took 800 mg split between two doses. It never helped me much though.

P

Paddlingpool2007

Thank you what medication would you recommend? He is 20 and can become impulsive and aggressive

L

Lab rat

That’s what I was driving at. They started me about 25mg doubling up on every dose, until I reached 400mg, which went up at every appointment until I hit 800mg which I was on for a few years

P

Paddlingpool2007

That is a low dose, is it the extended release version? I was on 400 mg at night and 400mg in the morning. I was on the immediate release version. Have to admit, it didn’t do much to help when I got agitated

Is he new to taking the medication? It seems a low dose for maintenance

P

Paddlingpool2007

Yes it says it’s pro longed release would that make a difference to the dosage ?

L

Lab rat

Thank you what medication would you recommend? He is 20 and can become impulsive and aggressive
I can’t really help much, I can tell you what worked for me, but your son will have completely different biochemistry to me and what didn’t work for me may be a miracle drug for him. I would certainly ask to have his dose raised and some form of emergency medication, chlorpromazine or diazepam seem to be the most likely to be used.

O

On Fire

Quetiapine does not do much at low dosages for psychosis. It is just a drowsy antihistamine.

L

Lab rat

It would make a difference on how long the medication takes to calm him down. I would be asking why he is getting agitated. The extended release ones were no good to me, they blocked my nose and did nothing to tranqullise me, until I started chewing them up. Don’t do that though, my shrink was horrified and switched me straight back to the instant ones.

I have a history of butting heads with psychiatrists, hence my now being off my meds for... I THINK, it’s 5 weeks now?

P

Paddlingpool2007

thank you for all your help he is seeing them tomorrow so I will ask them to higher the dosage

L

Lab rat

Make sure you ask them to raise the dosage for therapeutic value, they respond to requests of that nature. Whatever you do, don’t tell them that you can’t cope with him kicking off and want him doped up. The respond poorly to that. It’s well worth asking for an emergency med, tell them you will keep it and only use it when needed, which I hope is the case. When I go off the deep end, things change lightening fast. There is no reasoning with me, but most of the time a couple of Valium stop me reaching defcon 1

P

Paddlingpool2007

Thank you all for your help . He is my oldest and have 3 smaller children so it is a challenging time for us all

N

Nate

Hi my son is in 150 mg of quatapine is this a low dosage ? He is in an early diagnosis but he seems to becoming agitated again
That is a pretty low dose, usually people with schizophrenia are at a dose range from 400--800 mg per day.

R

Rhino187

150mg of seroquel is a starting point. Just remember you are aiming for the therapeutic dose. Everyone is different so try not to listen to the other people on the forum. Just listen to the Drs