• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medication

bpd2020

bpd2020

I have been on an antidepressant and moodstabiliser for my bpd for about 15 years. It took many years of trying different medications to get the right combination. Suddenly my mood stabiliser (amisulpride) stopped working. I was given quetatine but could not tolerate it. That meant I had tried all the mood stabilisers. I was then given propernal (an antihistamine) which was to help me sleep and reduce anxiety. Even on half a tablet it was too sedating.

I am now just on my antidepressant (vortoxatine). I feel very depressed. I cannot face going back on a mood stabiliser as it caused me to be hungry all the time and I already have a binge eating disorder. I got many other horrid side effects too.

I am unable to do DBT as I cannot do group therapy. I have had many bouts of various therapy and next week I start my third bout of CAT. My question is, is it possible to just be on an antidpressant? I am concerned this clinical depression will not lift.

Thank you so much to anybody who has read this.

Mal84

Mal84

Some people do, do well with just being on a antidepressant. The question really is, is do you think you may need a change in some way whether it’s by seeing whether there’s a new mood stabiliser that’s come out or even a change in anti depressant?

The thing is, is that people react differently so there’s not really a right answer to give but if your depression isn’t lifting, maybe it’s time to talk to a psych and explore options?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Some people do, do well with just being on a antidepressant. The question really is, is do you think you may need a change in some way whether it’s by seeing whether there’s a new mood stabiliser that’s come out or even a change in anti depressant?

The thing is, is that people react differently so there’s not really a right answer to give but if your depression isn’t lifting, maybe it’s time to talk to a psych and explore options?
Thank you so much. That was very helpful.

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Hey there! Sorry if it takes awhile to get responses sometimes. As Mal was saying, it's hard for us to really answer that as it is different for everyone. I mean, I guess anything is possible! I'm sorry, not very helpful. And I want to add that while I do not actually have a bpd dx, I have discussed it with professionals and read up about it and have some understanding. I've also done a bit of DBT just in case. Didn't pan out for me, not that it's not a good program. I just have other issues. But I was able to do individual. Is group your only option there? I understand it's better in a group, but it's obviously possible to do individual, if your therapist provides it.

Again, I don't have a dx, but I've been told that meds only help so much with bpd. It's more successful to overcome with therapy.
Best wishes!

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hey there! Sorry if it takes awhile to get responses sometimes. As Mal was saying, it's hard for us to really answer that as it is different for everyone. I mean, I guess anything is possible! I'm sorry, not very helpful. And I want to add that while I do not actually have a bpd dx, I have discussed it with professionals and read up about it and have some understanding. I've also done a bit of DBT just in case. Didn't pan out for me, not that it's not a good program. I just have other issues. But I was able to do individual. Is group your only option there? I understand it's better in a group, but it's obviously possible to do individual, if your therapist provides it.

Again, I don't have a dx, but I've been told that meds only help so much with bpd. It's more successful to overcome with therapy.
Best wishes!
Thank you for replying. DBT is only given in groups here. I started CAT last week and will be having weekly phone sessions. I appreciate your response.

D

dewey

Sure it is possible to only take an anti depressant. Best of luck with your therapy

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Hey again! I just sometimes like to look back at people's threads to remember how I know them. ;) And I realized I didn't make any comment about the frustrations with mood stabilizers and weight gaining. Oh boy do I hear you on that! I am no longer on Abilify, which my psychiatrist swore to me would not cause weight gain, but it did. I managed fine or better even without it. Again though, I don't actually have the dx. And thankfully my depressions haven't been so low with the antidepressant. Like others have suggested, I hope you talk to your doctor. They should know best, but I would guess maybe an antidepressant increase (??) But again, they'd have to consider how "high" your highs are or can get.
Any progress on this yet? I know it hasn't been very long since you started this thread though. :)

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hey again! I just sometimes like to look back at people's threads to remember how I know them. ;) And I realized I didn't make any comment about the frustrations with mood stabilizers and weight gaining. Oh boy do I hear you on that! I am no longer on Abilify, which my psychiatrist swore to me would not cause weight gain, but it did. I managed fine or better even without it. Again though, I don't actually have the dx. And thankfully my depressions haven't been so low with the antidepressant. Like others have suggested, I hope you talk to your doctor. They should know best, but I would guess maybe an antidepressant increase (??) But again, they'd have to consider how "high" your highs are or can get.
Any progress on this yet? I know it hasn't been very long since you started this thread though. :)
You are so kind to reply to this thread again. Thank you so much. I have been off a mood stabiliser for three weeks. I had withdrawal but now the only symptom I have is a tingling sensation in my nerves which makes it difficult to relax.Everything else is very positive. I have been in control of my food and have not binged which is such a relief. Thank you for caring.

W

WhySoSerious

I have been on an antidepressant and moodstabiliser for my bpd for about 15 years. It took many years of trying different medications to get the right combination. Suddenly my mood stabiliser (amisulpride) stopped working. I was given quetatine but could not tolerate it. That meant I had tried all the mood stabilisers. I was then given propernal (an antihistamine) which was to help me sleep and reduce anxiety. Even on half a tablet it was too sedating.

I am now just on my antidepressant (vortoxatine). I feel very depressed. I cannot face going back on a mood stabiliser as it caused me to be hungry all the time and I already have a binge eating disorder. I got many other horrid side effects too.

I am unable to do DBT as I cannot do group therapy. I have had many bouts of various therapy and next week I start my third bout of CAT. My question is, is it possible to just be on an antidpressant? I am concerned this clinical depression will not lift.

Thank you so much to anybody who has read this.
Hi,

Firstly yes you can be on just an anti-depressant. Mood stabilisers and anti-psychotics almost always come with side effects (less so with aripiprazole/abilify) and there is little evidence that BPD is treated much with medications in general.

Vortioxetine is generally ok but I don't know the efficacy compared to other medications. Some prefer Sertraline or Venlafaxine but these can bring problems like sexual dysfunction.

I am intrigued why you can't do group therapy? Is this a practical issue (travel, timing and other commitments etc) or that you can't tolerate it? Not feeling up to it or feeling too anxious is not really a reason for not doing DBT - if anything it is MORE of a reason to. NHS services in our local area are clear - group based program or nothing. If you aren't ready, you come back when you are. Thats brutal but the general consensus I have found across trusts.

Feel better! :)

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hi,

Firstly yes you can be on just an anti-depressant. Mood stabilisers and anti-psychotics almost always come with side effects (less so with aripiprazole/abilify) and there is little evidence that BPD is treated much with medications in general.

Vortioxetine is generally ok but I don't know the efficacy compared to other medications. Some prefer Sertraline or Venlafaxine but these can bring problems like sexual dysfunction.

I am intrigued why you can't do group therapy? Is this a practical issue (travel, timing and other commitments etc) or that you can't tolerate it? Not feeling up to it or feeling too anxious is not really a reason for not doing DBT - if anything it is MORE of a reason to. NHS services in our local area are clear - group based program or nothing. If you aren't ready, you come back when you are. Thats brutal but the general consensus I have found across trusts.

Feel better! :)
I was on venlaflaxine and it did not agree with me. I got really bad heart palpitations and I have tacycardia so it was deemed dangerous.

I have had group mentilisation therapy and it did nothing for me at all. I was going to have DBT but had to have a short group therapy course first. I was unable to tolerate the other peoples pain. In groups I never talk so it is pointless. I do not feel DBT is suited to me. I am having CAT and I am making more progress.

W

WhySoSerious

I was on venlaflaxine and it did not agree with me. I got really bad heart palpitations and I have tacycardia so it was deemed dangerous.

I have had group mentilisation therapy and it did nothing for me at all. I was going to have DBT but had to have a short group therapy course first. I was unable to tolerate the other peoples pain. In groups I never talk so it is pointless. I do not feel DBT is suited to me. I am having CAT and I am making more progress.
That's good that your area supports those options. In my area its DBT or nothing.
At the same time DBT (I have found) can be really helpful. The fact is we HAVE TO sit with the discomfort of other people's (and our own) pain. Its what life is sadly all about. If CAT is doing something then that sounds positive and well worth trying. Shame many areas have very little.

bpd2020

bpd2020

That's good that your area supports those options. In my area its DBT or nothing.
At the same time DBT (I have found) can be really helpful. The fact is we HAVE TO sit with the discomfort of other people's (and our own) pain. Its what life is sadly all about. If CAT is doing something then that sounds positive and well worth trying. Shame many areas have very little.
I am sorry you do not have the option of one to one therapy. It is sad how different areas have a lack of funds. It is great you have found DBT helpful. I do see your point on how in life we have to deal with others pain. I think first I need to deal with my own. Although I do like to try and support others in a non therapy environment.

W

WhySoSerious

I don't mind because groups aren't all that much of a problem for me.
I had one to one therapy in the past but TBH I was allowed to sit talking about stuff but never pushed to actually change anything. For me, on reflection, that was really unhelpful. She was nice enough but she didn't challenge enough and as a result I took a lot longer to come through the other side. I probably could have done with a much more forceful, non pussyfooting around me, approach. I need people to call me out on my avoidance otherwise I will take every opportunity to avoid feeling shit. If that makes sense.

In DBT groups we weren't really allowed to talk about our individual baggage. The therapists were very teaching driven and didn't allow us to divert the conversation. I guess in some ways that is good, because so many people will derail the whole point of the group and make it about them. Some people found that intolerable and not very personal, but then I suspected they were only there to moan and not really do the work. I may be being a tad harsh, I tend toward that style of thinking!