Medication...

GlitterAndTwisted

GlitterAndTwisted

So I’m a bit new to all this and somewhat nervous about it all haha. But how many people are medicated for their BPD, how long did it take you to find the right medication for you and what is that you take please?

I feel the older I’m getting, the more likely it is that I can’t be medicated and this illness can’t be managed with medication and I’m not quite sure what else to do really. In my thirties now and been a sufferer since childhood so surely I’d have found something by now?! Thanks in advance!

Luci

Luci

I have been on meds for 12 years. Over that time I've been on Fluoxetine, mirtazapine, citlalopram and venlafaxine. I'm currently tapering off. I think different medications work differently depending on the person and their symptoms.

GlitterAndTwisted

GlitterAndTwisted

I have been on meds for 12 years. Over that time I've been on Fluoxetine, mirtazapine, citlalopram and venlafaxine. I'm currently tapering off. I think different medications work differently depending on the person and their symptoms.
I’ve been on and off so many different types of medication since I was a kid, just can’t seem to find something that suits. But then I also wonder if I’m just waiting for a ‘fix me’ pill despite knowing there’s no such thing for this type of disorder.

I also get obsessed with weight gain issues from medication and don’t like taking anything with a ‘weight gain’ side effect, which most carry! Even after working in pharmacy and discussing these issues with pharmacists, I just can’t get passed it. Feel like I’m at my wits end and as though I’m getting crazier and crazier as time goes on. Maybe it’s just a bad episode 😩😞

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it!

Luci

Luci

You're spot on there! Were all after the 'fix me' pill! Haha! I focussed more on my talking therapies and becoming mindful in order to manage my traits and after 13 years I am close to being med free :D It's all trail and error with meds so I would speak your GP about your opinions if you feel meds are the way to forward to keep you stable for now, but meds alone never work, they just help control the issue for you until you learn to do it yourself :)
As far as weight gain goes, you know meds may increase your appetite but it is down to you to change your eating habits and lifestyle enough to control this. If it's too difficult for you right now then maybe meds arent the best way forward? You could end up making yourself feel worse if you cant control weight gain on meds?
No worries, just hope its helpful in some way :)

Lynds1990

Lynds1990

I take 900mg of Lithium daily for BPD, which also carries the weight gain side effect. After expressing concern, my doctor added Topamax and Wellbutrin, which both help combat the excessive eating that can sometimes come with the medication. The Wellbutrin helps the most, and I've managed to lose 5 pounds in a week with it.

It did take a bit to find the right medication, I was on a few before my friend recommended I ask about it. It can cause thyroid levels to increase, so that's another issue to watch for as well.