• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medication which restricts creativity

chesya

chesya

Since being on Lithium and Olanzapine I have sunk into the worst creative block in my life. In fact it's the only one on my 46 years.

I feel so much more stable, but is it a price worth paying? I'd be interested in others who have experiences a similar thing and maybe any ideas of ways aground it.

jax

jax

Sadly I have no creativity - however, I have heard some creative bipolar friends complain of their creativity taking a back seat when they are stable.

emski

emski

I my experience I blamed that on Olanzapine - it robbed me of creativity and all interest in everything.

Since being on lithium and quetiapine I have gradually recovered it

M

magdalen

Yes, I've been completely robbed! It feels like my muse has been locked in a cage. I miss it enormously, but as you say, it's a price we have to pay.

?

>.<

That happened to me. When I was taking quetiapine, I didnt feel like myself at all. All my creativity, which is so important to me, had gone, along with my interest in anything, all my uniqueness and everything.

Partly because of this I stopped taking my meds. I'm not suggesting you should do that or anything, but thats how I dealt with it. Personally, I'd rather have the mood swings and not change myself. However, my doctors aren't even sure if I definately have Bipolar anymore or not, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Anyway, hope I helped a little bit :)

S

suzy

I'm on lithium and at uni doing a creative course,

Yeah I do feel it is harder to be creative sometimes, sometimes I get down, I feel I can't do any uni work. On my Art Foundation before I was diagnosed I was really creative and experimental, I feel my work is lacking that now.

I hadn't thought of it because of my meds before, I'd really like to hear some more peoples views on this and what you do to get your creativity back.