• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medication - where next?

archie_fields

archie_fields

Founding Member
My OH has been on 7 or so different anti-d's over the past 5 years and we're fast running out of options. She's currently on mirtazapine (sp?) which although she's only been on it for about 4 weeks we really don't think is a suitable option for her. She's terribly restless and can't sleep properly - she also takes haloperidol and atenolol and has resorted to taking tramadol before bed so she can at least get a few hours sleep.

So far she's been on - Effexor, Zoloft, Luvox, Lofepramine, Arrapax, Citalopram and Paroxetine. She can't take any more SSRI's as she developed Seratonin Syndrome after the Citalopram and nearly ended up being admitted with seizures.

We're seeing the GP again on the 11th and not sure whether to keep on with the mirtazapine or try something else. She has a current diagnosis of severe depression, severe panic disorder and agorapobia although the psychiatrist is looking at changing those.

T

telemetry9

Hello there,

There are plenty of options for your OH (sorry i don't know what that means so please excuse my ignorance).
There are dozens of options in medication. I have been on many medications over the years and my own doctor was getting worried that we were running out of options. But a simple check on google will show anyone that there are numerous types of Anti depressants on the market.

I have recently started taking Amitryptiline, which is a tri cyclic and very good for people who have trouble sleeping.
Imipramine, is another medication that seems to have had excellent results in the past, despite the fact it is quite old but you need to decide on your own as I wouldn't want to have the responsibility of someone having an adverse reaction because of my suggestion. So if you google: tri cyclics, then you will find many more.
I hope this helps.

archie_fields

archie_fields

Founding Member
OH = Other Half.

Thanks for that, will have a look at more of the tri cyclics and see which would possibly suit and discuss it with the GP. She had a good time on Lofepramine which is a tri cyclic and was on that for about a year before it stopped being effective so hopefully there's an alternative out there for her. She always ends up on the maximum dose and then can't go any further with them. As it is she takes so many tablets she practically rattles when she walks!!

D

Dollit

Fi - ask the GP about mood stabilisers as well as anti depressants. Mood stabilisers can be more effective than antids when the depression appear to be medication resistant. Good luck.

archie_fields

archie_fields

Founding Member
Got a new prescription from the consultant today - he's upped the dose of mirtazapine and added a new drug (chlorpromazine) and stopped the haloperidol.

Does anyone have any experience with chlopromazine? She's on 50mg at night and is to take 25mg as and when required for her anxiety.

He's fairly confident that this will help things and wants the GP to monitor the situation with the drugs until our next appointment with him (June 2nd). Trying to convince my girlfriend to consider counselling but it's an uphill struggle - doesn't help that the man responsible for most of her problems (I'm sure you can all understand what I mean) is a counsellor himself.

It's so very hard but its easier than last week and next week will be better still.

D

Dollit

Do you know that you can ask for a female counsellor? I specified the gender of my psychiatrist and that was honoured. Let us know how the meds go. :hug: